Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Romance of The Three Kingdoms
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

8 was great... I had a perfect file in that game. I had all the items and all the scenes. The scenes were a pain to get. The best game I had in 8 was when I started as a merc group and convinced cao cao to join me (the one where he's under dong zhou i think). We ended up conquering china.

I played 9 on PC and even though I couldn't read chinese, I still did pretty well. Sure I never really knew what some guy was doing in my dungeons, but at least I knew he was there for some time.

The ability to build forts and to man important passes and walls was awesome. It really had a tactical feel to it, much more than 8 or 7 did.

My favourite characters come from the the Shu Kingdom.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
lunar shadows

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have seen this series a lot and wasn't sure if I should buy one or not. After reading your replies, it sounds like 7 and 8 are pretty interesting. I might look into them. Are they a lot like Kessen? I really enjoyed the first Kessen a lot.
Providence Luc

The Millenium Swords

109035 Potch
275 Soldiers
71 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure. I haven't exactly played any Kessen game so I can't make a comparison.

Romance of the three Kingdoms X is supposed to come out some time this year. They're bringing back the good ol' officer-based gameplay which means I can go back to wandering China as a bum-- err... "traveller". I've read this article that Koei supposedly wants to bring more drama to the game by focusing a bit on character events. They're also introducing this new feature which is something like a debate which would be based on your political ability.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'm looking forward to their tenth installment. I've some Japanese screenshots and it seems like it's going to be awesome. Oh yeah, so many things to look forward to this year and Romance of the Three Kingdoms X is only one of them. I can barely wait. :mrgreen:
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

IX got me hooked a few weeks ago. So, since X keeps IX's easy-to-use map system and mixes it with VIII's freedom of character selection, I'm sold.
Sadness

Razor Wind

3668814 Potch
14500 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you expect ROTK to be like Kessen, you'd be disappointed. It's a totally different kind of game. ROTK forcuses a lot more on management of your own domain, army, generals, etc. Kessen is a cinematic rendition of strategic battles with pretty much no other interactivity. ROTK will let you pretty much do anything, but isn't very cinematic (ie. no loads of people fighting in battlefields, and no magic-using generals or generals killing 1000s of enemy soldiers).

ROTK is generally hard to like. I mean, it's been around since the 80s but never had a wide fan-base (but a small, fanatical fanbase). Compared to that, games like Kessen or Dynasty Warriors has a much wider fanbase, which really contributed to many more people knowing not only people like Guan Yu, but even people who are more obscure like Guo Jia or Yan Yan.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I rented Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX a couple of months ago and really fell in love with it's gameplay. I'd buy it, if only I could find it in stores. I did find a copy of Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII, but wasn't certain about buying it. Though now, reading over all you guy's posts, I'm thinking I will like Ro3K VIII even better than Ro3K IX. :D

Definately screams "cult hit" though. I hope Romance of the Three Kingdoms X does make it over here; it sounds like it would be good. Maybe with Dynasty Warriors and Kessen (well, kind of; Kessen II at least) out there boosting the profile of the Three Kingdoms story, Romance of the Three Kingdoms might be getting more new players. I know that's how I found it. *shrug*

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suprised all you people like playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII. I couldn't really get into that one all too much.

However, I totally loved Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII! The level of control I could achieve in that game was incredible, and I loved the ability to control who I wanted to, when I needed to. I found that by controlling all of my border prefects, and getting them to do just what I wanted them to, I could easily defend myself from enemies, and easily expand when the time came. Finding and meeting new officers is also something that I find really fun to do. I'll often control my warlord, then journey outward to neighboring cities and explore, hoping to find talented officers, and persuade them to join my leige! :D

Of course, I also enjoyed playing the "Three Kingdoms" scenario. Shu was the easiest to win with, since they had Zhang Fei, Guan Yu, Zhuge Liang, and Liu Bei, as well as the most officers. Wei was the second easiest, since they had the most land, and the highest starting number of troops, though Shu was a pain to deal with. Wu... Wow, that was tough, because I had to defend against large Shu armies, and large Wei armies WITHOUT spreading myself too thin. Stupid Wei kept trying to attack the Wu territory by sea, which was super annoying to me.

I think my best accomplishment was winning the game with Gongsun Zan. I had Zhao Yun as my warlord, but I died before being able to complete my conquest. With no one to succeed me, I chose Zhao Yun as my sucessor, and eventually united the land. That was really neat, and it was kinda' funny to see the whole map covered in orange. lol

Anyway, the point I want to make is that seven is my favorite and the game I consider to be "the best." Downside is having to create characters that appear in Dynasty Warriors, like Sun Shang Xiang, Zhen Ji, Lu Ling Qi (She actually appears in Dynasty Tactics), Da Qiao, Xiao Qiao, Yue Ying, and just about every other female character. But, heck, sometimes that's half the fun, right? :D

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: