Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

065 - The Hook

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: 065 - The Hook Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[size=150:31zq1zzy]The Hook

[p:31zq1zzy]About four days had passed since One Nation launched their preliminary assault on Ohio. Was it deceitful to attack right after the Freedom Fighters were too far away to hear about it? Not at all, Croft justified. If they chose upon their return to support him, so be it. If they didn't, he would have attacked anyway. He was not about to lie about it; as the press filtered in he was inevitably asked time and again, 'Are the Freedom Fighters supporting your attack? Is the UN?' "No," he plainly answered. "They are absolutely neutral at this moment, and the enemy they were called in to fight is an equal threat to One Nation and Ohio." That the nature of this third enemy was a virtual unknown to the media mattered little, for Croft always spoke in truths and half-truths, never lies. For this his men loved him. For this the press seemed on his side.[/p:31zq1zzy]
[p:31zq1zzy]There was talk too from the Ohio camp, but it was negative. Talk of war here and peace there, no consistency, no unity. Karn insisted the media be kept out, with good reason, but to what extent could Reynolds moderate it without becoming a tyrant? Slight controls were put in place - on the number of reporters allowed in, on what areas of Ohio they were allowed to enter - the same wishy-wash uncertainty that their reports carried out. Some citizens urged for peace, some for resistance, some were openly defiant to command, pressing for a counter-strike with or without orders. For there had been no counter-strike in these last, crucial four days, as the One Nation reinforcements built up across the new borders defined by their first assault. Fleeting opportunities replaced redemption. That the majority of the population praised Reynolds' public policy of defending to the last but never attacking, wanting only to be left alone, was no excuse to ignore the dangerous and growing pockets of rebellion that would in time render surrender meaningless.[/p:31zq1zzy]
[p:31zq1zzy]There were other stories. David Holmes was visiting Ohio to encourage their peaceful surrender, this being a conflict at least large enough for notional UCPA involvement. So said the papers and so said the news, though events did not play out this way.[/p:31zq1zzy]
[p:31zq1zzy]By the time Reynolds reached his office the UCPA president was already there, chatting with his secretary. "I apologize for making you wait," Reynolds said very gloomily.[/p:31zq1zzy]
[p:31zq1zzy]"I understand," Holmes replied. "You're fighting a war."[/p:31zq1zzy]
[p:31zq1zzy]As the two men entered the office Holmes spoke quickly, striking up a conversation before Reynolds could get to his desk. "So what exactly is your situation, if you don't mind me inquiring?"[/p:31zq1zzy]
[p:31zq1zzy]"Bad," Reynolds stated bluntly. "I'm at a crucial point here. I can't just surrender, you have to understand. I have to do it in such a way that the people will follow me."[/p:31zq1zzy]
[p:31zq1zzy]"Surrender?" Holmes questioned.[/p:31zq1zzy]
[p:31zq1zzy]"Confidence is high right now. Some even view the first battle as a victory. They don't understand what we're up against. One Nation held back last time. I don't know why they did it, but it certainly didn't help my policy of caution and defense. Frankly, I don't think we can win and want to end this as quickly and painlessly as possible, but if I surrendered unconditionally it would just become a guerrilla war and cost a ton of lives, not to mention turn this state into a hellhole for years to come." Reynolds sighed and paused for a moment, then went on. "I'm so glad that you came here, honestly, because the UCPA could be our last hope. If you could convince Clarence Croft to meet with me, maybe this could all work out. We could negotiate a settlement where he gets his victory and my people get to keep their pride."[/p:31zq1zzy]
[p:31zq1zzy]"Well," Holmes replied, "what exactly do you think it would take for Ohio to have a fighting chance?"[/p:31zq1zzy]
[p:31zq1zzy]"Hmm?" It wasn't a question Reynolds had prepared to answer. "Artillery and armored vehicles would be huge. It would really level the playing field. Air support would give us a huge advantage. But really, I think better guns would be enough to maybe bring about a compromise rather than capitulation. Right now there are guys on call with nothing but old shotguns and hunting rifles to support themselves. Karn would have a better idea, but really we're dead in the water right now."[/p:31zq1zzy]
[p:31zq1zzy]"I... I can supply the arms, and maybe even some tanks and cannons," Holmes replied. Reynolds was shocked. Speechless. For all the bad reputation the United Countries Protection Agency had built up lately, perhaps they really were looking out for the common good. Supplying Holmes with the firepower necessary to negotiate a compromise surely went against agency policy. It was gutsy, devious, and altogether noble.[/p:31zq1zzy]
[p:31zq1zzy]"There's only one condition," Holmes concluded as he turned towards the door. "You... cannot surrender. You must fight One Nation. ... Your secretary has my contact information. I'll give you some time to think about it."[/p:31zq1zzy]
[p:31zq1zzy]Or maybe they were the lowlife crooks he'd thought they were. Still, it was an option...[/p:31zq1zzy]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Midnight Dawn All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: