Suikoden Unique and Illusional Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Old Nation System
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Locke

Poker of Doom

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sounds fun, I'm in.

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We are doing quite well with the place, but I would like to ask for more people to check into the Scarlet Moon Empire. They're a good group of people, but they're getting a bit lonely with most of the people trying to find some way into the super powers.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Eden

Private Godwin Army

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am actually afraid what happens as soon as you gt rid of the cap...
I think people will generally tend to join those nations who are already pretty active, which is understandable and only a handful who really want to be in a certain nation or be together with certain people will chose those smaller nations. Eventually some nations will become bigger and bigger and some will stagnate or even become smaller because people will move when they got the fee... I really hope that won't happen.

The Fool
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Relocation is bound to happen in such a system, but it's not quite so simple a process. First, people will need to earn the amount of potch necessary (provided they're willing to do so and don't simply not post because they've become unhappy) and obtain permission from the nation leader of the nation they wish to join. If they purchase the permit first and then ask the leader and the leader declines, the member will have wasted a great deal of potch for nothing. Given the increased importance of potch in the system, this would be a serious blow.

At this point, it may seem like the leaders are willing to accept any applicant who shows interest, but it's a necessity at the beginning when building up a nation. When nations no longer need members to join up in order to maintain activity levels or stay competitive with the other nations, I can see leaders being a bit more discriminating and allowing only those they feel will be a positive addition to their nation.

Eden

Private Godwin Army

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Elc":2t095pnr]Relocation is bound to happen in such a system, but it's not quite so simple a process. First, people will need to earn the amount of potch necessary (provided they're willing to do so and don't simply not post because they've become unhappy) and obtain permission from the nation leader of the nation they wish to join. If they purchase the permit first and then ask the leader and the leader declines, the member will have wasted a great deal of potch for nothing. Given the increased importance of potch in the system, this would be a serious blow.

At this point, it may seem like the leaders are willing to accept any applicant who shows interest, but it's a necessity at the beginning when building up a nation. When nations no longer need members to join up in order to maintain activity levels or stay competitive with the other nations, I can see leaders being a bit more discriminating and allowing only those they feel will be a positive addition to their nation.

Well, 50.000 Potch is a really high fee regarding how long it takes an ordinary member to reach that count, but it keep nation jumping at a minimum rate for both the time it takes to get to that point and the value the potch has on an overall level.
I personally don't think nation will leader will become a lot more fussy about new members, because they won't risk letting another nation getting a potentially good poster. You can't be sure how active a member is, because even known names tend to be not as active they were used to be. Waiting to long to see how complete newbies post will ensure that all the other nations ask that person out. And if they aren't that active they don't have a huge disadvantage.
Even if they don't post much they could generate potch which will help.

Edit: I am sorry if this is total nonsense. My best friend and my possible future girl friend are chatting with me on fast rate over ICQ that my mind is already spinning around a bit...

The Fool
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Eden":27k4s337]
Well, 50.000 Potch is a really high fee regarding how long it takes an ordinary member to reach that count, but it keep nation jumping at a minimum rate for both the time it takes to get to that point and the value the potch has on an overall level.
I personally don't think nation will leader will become a lot more fussy about new members, because they won't risk letting another nation getting a potentially good poster. You can't be sure how active a member is, because even known names tend to be not as active they were used to be. Waiting to long to see how complete newbies post will ensure that all the other nations ask that person out. And if they aren't that active they don't have a huge disadvantage.
Even if they don't post much they could generate potch which will help.

Edit: I am sorry if this is total nonsense. My best friend and my possible future girl friend are chatting with me on fast rate over ICQ that my mind is already spinning around a bit...

Activity is only one facet of what a member can give to any single nation though, it simply helps pay for things (inevitably), as for being fussy with members, it will happen because it's already happened. You know which personalities you're looking for and you screen to those who won't implode what you're trying to accomplish (for whatever reason) so while you're forgoing a possible recruit you're also ensuring stability. Even then, you invited, you screened for what you needed at that time and you'll continue to do so simply because you don't want to fall behind, you don't want to just let in anyone and have them piss off the members you do have or anything. The only thing which would change is the level of screening that happens.

Private Godwin Army

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess you are correct that people are "useful" in more ways than simple activity. They can be creatice without posting much or they are just fun to have around. I am still not sure how you will evaluate if someone fits in your nation... I guess the way to know is letting him post and telling stuff about him- or herself on the open forum, but at the time you can see that it is an enjoyable person isn't any other nation leader as eager as you to get that person into your nation? Well, I guess you can handle things way if you are know how you want your nation to develop, but if you just need active members I can imagine you are risky enough to get an annoying member than missing out a great member.

The Fool
Zaleria

Potch
Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eden, even if a member who wants to join your nation is active, if it is an annoying member (in the sense that he is a problematic member for moderators or just not on your member's best side), I doubt the leader will be eager to recruit him. The reason for this is that the member can just be a headache in the future, and he may also alienate the other members of the nation. Even the most active member is not that valuable if he causes other nation members to lose interest in the forums.

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
Eden

Private Godwin Army

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Zaleria":3bm5zhuq]Eden, even if a member who wants to join your nation is active, if it is an annoying member (in the sense that he is a problematic member for moderators or just not on your member's best side), I doubt the leader will be eager to recruit him. The reason for this is that the member can just be a headache in the future, and he may also alienate the other members of the nation. Even the most active member is not that valuable if he causes other nation members to lose interest in the forums.

My question is: Is the nation leader really able to see if that new member's gonna be a problem before he actually joins the nation? How many people are really online before getting into any nation? And the lack of activity makes it harder see realise how the member will behave when he or she interacts with others.

The Fool
Locke

Poker of Doom

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Elc":3o7a8rxm]We are doing quite well with the place, but I would like to ask for more people to check into the Scarlet Moon Empire. They're a good group of people, but they're getting a bit lonely with most of the people trying to find some way into the super powers.

Yeah, pretty much all the active members of there have either gone to a new country, or aren't playing. I'm just kinda sitting around seeing whats happening. It appears though, that the SME is dead. Which isn't much fun for me. I don't have the time to be a leader, but I do want to participate in the game. And being in a dead country is no fun.

Zaleria

Potch
Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
My question is: Is the nation leader really able to see if that new member's gonna be a problem before he actually joins the nation? How many people are really online before getting into any nation? And the lack of activity makes it harder see realise how the member will behave when he or she interacts with others.

In the case of Senso, nation leaders can base their decision on how the member behave here in Suikox. Or just hold off on recruiting the guy until he has shown how he behaves in the public forums.

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
Eden

Private Godwin Army

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You are right, knowing people's behavior here is a huge advantage, but this "waiting"-concept only works if all nation leader wait, because otherwise one might ask every new member out as soon as they register. However, you have explained reasonably why this is not the most likely way any nation leader will handle things.

The Fool
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scarlet Moon isn't dead and does have a leader, they're just having difficulty recruiting people. I may be wrong, but it may have to do with my inability to recruit Parallax for the position, but there is a good team in place, nonetheless. In the end, though, it is up to the leaders themselves to decide how they want to accept members, there's no set policy. It's useless asking the admins, since we don't really care how the nations do their thing but we would like to see each nation have a fighting chance.

I sound like a broken record with this, but the site is not set up to ape Suikox down to the last detail. For example, in the event a member wants to move to a new nation, they are strongly advised to have the consent of the new nation leader before buying an immigration permit, because if a permit is bought and the nation leader rejects the petition to join, the permit is considered used and failed petitions will not result in a refund. Furthermore, if a member does switch nations, it's a no-brainer that they should tell the admins which character is their's (don't expect us to remember each and every character and the corresponding member. we have the info, but it's really inconvenient to have to scour files to find who created who) so the list can be updated.

Locke

Poker of Doom

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is there a master list somewhere of who is in what nation? And if someone was in nation X in the old game, and no one says anything other than they wanna play, are they automatically still in nation X?

Sorry if this has been answered before, I just haven't scene it yet.

Decado

Desert Elite

Potch
Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You just need to check the usergroups to see who is in what nation. And no, there is no automatic sorting regardless of your previous nation - you would still need to choose which nation to join.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Advertisements & Fun Links All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 15 of 19

Jump to: