Suikoden United and Informational Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

011 - Where One's Loyalties Lie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: 011 - Where One's Loyalties Lie Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[size=150:3b2c0e9u]Where One's Loyalties Lie

[p:3b2c0e9u]It was about 8pm when a knock came on Clarence Croft's hotel door. It was not in the least bit uncommon for him to spend his free days alone in hotels across the nation reading books on military tactics and warfare. One Nation was a migrant organization with no specific base of operations. When not carrying out a mission the group usually found itself exploring cities and countryside, taking in every variety the nation had to offer. This week they were in St. Louis and heading east. Croft however preferred to pass his time in seclusion. Only a select few people knew which hotel he was staying in any given night, and almost none which room. That was why the knock seemed so unusual. He hesitantly stood up, observed the peep hole, and then opened the door. "What do you want?"[/p:3b2c0e9u]
[p:3b2c0e9u]The man who entered looked distinguished. He dressed in only the most expensive and professional-looking of business suites and carried an air of authority expected of any great leader of empires. Croft didn't have to ask who he was, but it didn't stop him from being generally rude to the man. "Good evening Mr. Croft. It is quite a pleasure to---"[/p:3b2c0e9u]
[p:3b2c0e9u]"What do you want?" Croft repeated, interrupting him.[/p:3b2c0e9u]
[p:3b2c0e9u]The visitor shrugged it off. "I have a business proposition that I think you will find most beneficial."[/p:3b2c0e9u]
[p:3b2c0e9u]"Perhaps then you should take it to a businessman instead," he replied. "I've nothing to barter or trade."[/p:3b2c0e9u]
[p:3b2c0e9u]"Mr. Croft," the man continued, "what I intend to suggest will be most lucrative for you, this I can assure. For millions of dollars and a guarantee that the public will have no knowledge of your gains, might you consider playing the role of a businessman for a few minutes?"[/p:3b2c0e9u]
[p:3b2c0e9u]"I'm not interested," Croft coldly responded.[/p:3b2c0e9u]
[p:3b2c0e9u]The man narrowed his eyes. "Maybe you are not aware of with whom you are speaking, though I find it doubtful that---"[/p:3b2c0e9u]
[p:3b2c0e9u]"You're Quintin Kaiser, president of the Akigiyama corporation, and possibly the richest man on earth," Croft once again interrupted. "Have I missed anything there? Perhaps that you are a power-hungry miser who'd sell his own soul were the price right?"[/p:3b2c0e9u]
[p:3b2c0e9u]"Ignorance I can forgive," Kaiser responded, his gaze sharper than ever, "but of foolishness I am far less accepting. You should be honored by the fact that I came to you in person."[/p:3b2c0e9u]
[p:3b2c0e9u]"I doubt anyone can feel honored in your presence Kaiser. Now if you'll be kind enough to dismiss yourself, I've a magnificently dull military textbook waiting for me that I find far more exhilarating than any chat with you." Croft turned away from the door and walked back to his chair in the small hotel room.[/p:3b2c0e9u]
[p:3b2c0e9u]"I saw you denounce your ties with the UCPA on national television last week." Kaiser raised his voice as he spoke. "It would not be in your best interests to piss off two major organizations at the same time."[/p:3b2c0e9u]
[p:3b2c0e9u]Croft thought for a moment about this. He had no interest whatsoever in whatever Kaiser had to offer, but it would do no good to give the man any grievances. "Well, I'll hear you out then," he said.[/p:3b2c0e9u]
[p:3b2c0e9u]Kaiser's expression quickly lightened. "My request is quite simple. I would like full construction rights to every city and town you conquer. In turn I am willing to offer you a significant amount of straight cash, tax free and entirely under the table, as well as any military equipment you might need to further your expedition. With a nation-wide contract we will be able to charge less than any local enterprise, thus even the people will benefit."[/p:3b2c0e9u]
[p:3b2c0e9u]"Kaiser..." Croft replied. He needed to make his point clear without sounding too bold, but doing so was excruciatingly uncharacteristic of him on a personal level. "I know full well that your interests extend far beyond that. You'll make good your offer, but you'll not leave it at that. You'll continue to capitalize on our economy, and in turn you'll use it to work your hand into government affairs. The UCPA are of no concern to me; they are being rapidly replaced by the UN, and when they die out so too will their control in Washington. Akigiyama on the other hand is far from derelict. If I grant you this economic authority you'll use it to take the UCPA's place in the government and my plight will be in vain. You and I will benefit, there's no doubt of that, but the people won't. I cannot allow that. Quintin Kaiser, I do indeed understand the significance of your coming here, but I can be of no help to you. One Nation is not a political power to be bought and sold. Our cause cannot be compromised."[/p:3b2c0e9u]
[p:3b2c0e9u]"Very well," Kaiser said after a moment's pause. "If you are truly as earnest and incorruptible as you claim, you'll not remain in power long. I'll just wait for a wiser man to take your spot. Until then, my offer stands. If ever you should choose to remove your head from your ass, oh almighty Clarence Croft, I will be waiting." With that Kaiser casually turned and left the room. This was certainly not what Croft had expected on a quiet Thursday evening, but he felt he'd handled it well. At least he'd stood his ground without creating too angry an enemy.[/p:3b2c0e9u]
[p:3b2c0e9u]He had no way of knowing for certain how far Akigiyama would pursue this. On a global scale the US wasn't nearly as important as it once had been. Whether Kaiser would try to take immediate advantage by other means or whether he had enough larger problems elsewhere that he would, as he'd said, wait and see, there was no way to tell. His coming in person was indeed of significance, but it revealed little. Time would tell whether or not Akigiyama posed a threat in Croft's designs. Until then there was no sense in worrying about it. Instead, he returned to his books.[/p:3b2c0e9u]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Midnight Dawn All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: