Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Konami wants questions from us
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Also, the current Suikoden development team may not know much about older sequels, such as Suikoden II, so questions centering on Suikoden stuff from recent games would likely get a better answer.

Here's a question that I hope can be answered here before any serious questions will even be asked: what kind of people or work is done by the North American/U.S. version of the "Suikoden development team"? What is being "developed" by them exactly?

I don't want to sound like a snob because I'm not all that knowledgeable, but if they are just some dudes hired to put in the English text, or working just to make sure the game plays so Konami can sell it as if it's just any other japanese game being translated into english, then what's the point of asking any serious questions or anything not direct about this upcoming game? All we'll get are pointless positive responses: "we are not sure of the answer to that question, but we like Suikoden (now... because we are getting paid to work on it)".

If that question can't be answered here, then it might as well be asked to those people on the team. Asking them what it is that they do or have done for the series, and why they were assigned to work for the Suikoden team?

Quote:
On another note... they'll send me a free copy of Tierkries so I can review it and post my assessment on this site, along with other Suikoden goodies! Whee!

Question for SARS: are there any Suikoden related items among those items you got/will get that the rest of us can find other than the promo cd/artbook package for the game?
Gunloc

19976 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Konami wants questions from us Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

#1 Why did you choose to set Tierkreis is an alternate and seemingly unrelated world when one of the major reasons fans appreciate the series so much are the connecting stories, characters, locations, etc. Is it just to attract new fans? And if so, why would you want to use an unrelated game (story wise) as an entry point to the series for new comers, when, if they decide to become more involved in the series they'll have to immerse themselves in the original story line and locations anyway? And are you not worried that this will just drive away old fans?

#2 Will future Suikoden games return to the original setting?

#3 What are the plans for the next Suikoden game? When can we expect Suikoden VI? (Generally speaking.)

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most of the questions I would have asked have already been asked by others, so I'll go with:

"1. Given the apparent demand for Suikoden I and II, why was the PSP version overlooked for release outside of Japan?"

Even though I own the PSX releases of the games, had Suikoden I & II been released in North America, it would have convinced me to buy a PSP, and I'm not really into handhelds.

"2. Any possibility of installments similar to Tactics, fleshing out events mentioned in the Suikoden timeline? Hikusaak and the rise of the Holy Kingdom of Harmonia, The Succession War, etc."

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. With the recent release of the original Suikoden on the Playstation® Store, is there any possibility that the sequel will be released in this form in the future?

2. With Suikoden Tierkreis, we see the return of the vocal protagonist, as opposed to a silent protaganist. The Suikoden fanbase is quite divided as to which is preferred. Will we see the vocal protagonist continuing into the series in the future?

3. In Suikoden Tierkreis, weapons can now be equipped to characters, unlike past titles, where, for a payment, they could be sharpened and improved. Why was this change made?

I would ask why they changed direction with Tierkreis so much, but it seems almost everyone has asked that question in some shape or form!

And yes, I did just put an ® in there for some reason. :P

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Konami wants questions from us Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is this the Japanese development team only, or is the American/English branch involved as well? There are some questions I have specifically for both groups, so I'll just ask them anyways.

1) Regardless of how well Tierkreis does in terms of bringing new fans into the series, will the overall negative fan response to the direction Tierkreis has gone (in terms of series continuity) affect the future of the series? I see no reason why future games can't still take place in the classic Suikoden world with returning locations and characters and also be welcoming to new fans at the same time.

2) Have you considered putting more effort into marketing the series outside of Japan? I've always been jealous of all the merchandise, limited editions, and store displays Japan has for a new Suikoden. The Suikoden series has a lot of great stuff going for it, and I think it received even a fraction of the marketing and media attention the Final Fantasy series has, it could be a lot more popular in the West.

3) Several other series from Konami are extremely popular around the world. The Castlevania and Metal Gear series are renowned and have excellent production values. I, and many other fans would probably agree, feel that the only thing separating these series from the Suikoden series is the difference in production values. Why haven't you considered putting a few more resources into the series and giving it a "Metal Gear Solid" treatment? I think if the Suikoden series rivaled Final Fantasy in terms of aesthetics, it would be a lot more mainstream (especially considering the quality of the story and general gameplay mechanics in Suikoden).

4) Even though Tierkreis was a step in a different direction for the series, we still have a protagonist who is male and young. Geddoe (a middle-aged man) and Chris (a woman) from Suikoden III garnered a lot of fans, and are some of my personal favorite characters. Do you consider a young boy to be an essential part of the Suikoden formula, or are you considering bringing a little variety to the Tenkai star in the future (such as a non-human, for example).

If I think of any more questions, I'll edit them in later. Also, Vextor, are you going to show us a list of the 20 questions you ask once you've decided on them?

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Konami wants questions from us Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't expect any of these to really be sent, but I'll post them anyway because it seems at least Konami is reading this forum.

1. In Suikoden 1 and 2, you had a working formula. Beautiful sprite based games instead of the clunky 3D that everyone else uses, six character combat providing a leap beyond the normal three or four in most RPGs, etc.. Why were these change made, and can we ever expect another sprite-based Suikoden?

2. Are you guys really struggling that badly for new plots? Suikoden IV's plot was utterly forgettable in that the only thing I can remember about it is a bunch of bullying merchant ships and a giant tree out of nowhere, Rhapsodia was about a bunch of cannons that turn people into fish, the entire purpose of the game seeming to be to provide a retcon as for why rune cannons never showed up in the later games.

3. My interest in the Suikoden games lay solely in their continuity. One to two, two to three each had an interesting progression of the world and the story at large, which has taken a nosedive with games set in the past or in another world altogether, the latter of which seems more like Final Fantasy. How do you expect to keep the fanbase's interest when you seem unwilling to further the continuity and progression of the games?

4. Recently a free RPG was made with Suikoden's system, but with a fresh and original story. Would you consider getting into contact with the creator of [url=http://www.scfworks.com/ef.php:4ic3g6ns]Exit Fate[/url:4ic3g6ns] and seeing if you can't buy and adapt it's story into the Suikoden world, with proper Suikoden continuity? It really reflects the Suikoden roots in a way that none of the current game releases have with it's political meddling.

5. The Suikogaiden series, why have we yet to get them? It can't be too expensive to translate them, we have people who have translated full SNES, DS and Playstation games over here in the States in their free time, but no one has bothered to fan translate the Suikogaiden series and it doesn't seem as if you guys are too interested in letting us play them proper.
Antimatzist

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Konami wants questions from us Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
but no one has bothered to fan translate the Suikogaiden series and it doesn't seem as if you guys are too interested in letting us play them proper.
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/ramsus-kun/Suikogai den/Home.htm:1ilqjlqk]Not true.[/url:1ilqjlqk]

@Topic:
1. Would you ever consider releasing some kind of "Suikoden-Collection", including every (Playstation (2)) title of the series (including translated Suikogaidens), with extra gimmicks (Artbooks, Soundtracks), and bug-fixed (maybe some re-translated)?
2. Will you ever start advertising the series, especially in Europe?
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Konami wants questions from us Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

personally think some of these are stupid, but you never know until you post them...

With the connectivity and regional non-limitations on Tierkreis & the DS platform in particular, do you see more of a market for simultaneous (or close to) releases on such platforms as opposed to singular releases on locked home consoles and staged regional releases (Japan - months - US - months - Europe) to reach a broader audience of gamer and build the brand anew?

With the current trend of amalgamations of genres drawing praise, has there been any consideration within the development group for a derivative or amalgamation of styles such as a story driven RTS, First person / 3rd person RPG or the like (considering the break in style with Rhapsodia) to bring the series from pure tradition (top down platform, turn based combat) to a more personal and paced level (such as Vampire the Masquerade, Mass Effect etc)?

Has there been any thought to a compilation or "trilogy" release in regard to the series considering the failure of III in PAL territories left many PAL fans disheartened with the brand, but also to saturate the market with previous titles now considered aged?

The decision to entirely bypass the PC market and focus on the console / handheld market with the series may be viewed as ignoring an entire section of the gaming community and viable income, has the stance in regards to the Suikoden brand been altered in any way in regards to this to perhaps capitalise on that particular market with yet another platform shift?

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Is there any chance of the Suikoden I & II collection for PSP getting translated?

2. What kind of promotions is Konami doing to reach new players who aren't familiar with Suikoden?

3. Will there be a chance of a Suikoden crossover with other Konami series like Castlevania or Vandal Hearts? Or seeing Suikoden cameos in games of completely different genres?

4. With the change in setting in Tierkreis, is it possible the Suikoden series will take a more drastic departure in the future, for example a Suikoden set in the modern day / a scifi setting?

5. Why did you take so long in releasing a new Suikoden game after Suikoden V? Will the next game be arriving sooner? I don't want to wait another 3 years!
sdballer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Konami wants questions from us Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Any thoughts on changing the name to something that the average buyer might relate to a little easier? It has to have one of the most confusing to pronounce, difficult to promote names of any game? What's the benefit to that versus the Water Margin or Stars of Destiny 1-5?
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

These are all much better questions than I expected!
I was thinking I'd get a bunch of simpler questions, but instead I see a lot more marketing and business-related questions.
Amazing!
Jack of All Trades

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Konami wants questions from us Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I'm pretty impressed. I have a feeling we are going to be putting these guys through the wringer. I had no idea there was so much dissention in the Suikoden Fan Ranks.
luc skywalker

6783 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here are my questions:

1.) What motivated you to abandon the PS2 just to get a sequel of Suikoden to a platform that has not yet established itself as one of the premiere gaming flatforms?

2.) I'm a Suikoden 5 fan. Is there any possibility of having a sequel of that story in the PS2, even if the game will be just a suikoden tactics?

3.) Will Hikusaak have a suikoden game for himself and his adventures that eventually created the Holy Land of Harmonia?

4.) Will we see a castle that will be modified according to our plans in the future suikodens?

5.) With most of the suikoden fans regard the first two games as the best in the series, why didn't you create any sequel to continue the story of those places and the characters?

6.) Will we see a Suikoden game that evolves around the formation of the Scarlet Moon Empire?

7.) George Prime became one of the most popular characters in the series after suikoden 5. Will there be a suikoden tactics that is based on his adventures?
Cloud_99

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Konami wants questions from us Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I so very very very very very very dearly hope that they return back to the series and continue from suikoden 3 rather than vere off into the other universes. Having said that will Konami been exploring in greater depth the characters seen in suikoden 2 and/or 3 - such a flik, victor, riou (or Hero from S2), nash, chris, Futch, Cecilia etc

Will the series be exploring in greater depth the mysteries surrounding the Sindar? And will information explored on that aspect reveal more secrets surrounding Pesmerga and Yuber?

Will Yuber and Pesmerga make an appearance in the next in suikoden 6 (staying positive for S6 ^^ )?

Will Konami be sticking with the same traditional RPG elements as it has for the previous games or will it be changing the battling systems to something maybe more action based - action RPG like Star Ocean, Children of Mana etc...

How can we help konami promote and encourage the continuation of the series (show the executives that there is a to see fan base for suikoden and one in which would be a larger if there was greater adverisment say in USA, Australia, England)?

Will any future installments include any fun side games like that seen in S2 - like the cooking competitions...?

Will the series be exploring harmonia's history and there exclusive leader?

thanks heaps and thanks heaps to konami for taking the time to listen to its fans ^_^
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5685455 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Suikoden games have not seen much, if any, marketing to boost sales and interest in the franchise outside of Japan. I think that the suikoden franchise would greatly benefit from some type of marketing plan in the United States. Is there any significant budget set aside to promote Tierkreis in the United States?

(may have been stated already, but i was lazy and i just skimmed the other questions)

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: