Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

US Elections 2008
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I voted last Friday and sent my ballot in the mail. Weee!

McCain looks like he stands no chance. Time for something new, America. Time for something new.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: US Elections 2008 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think theres anything new or fresh about either.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, at 11 PM Eastern Time, Barack Obama was declared President of the United States. I think this is the quickest election result I can remember in a long time (I remember the last couple took at least a couple of days to be decided)

I hope he can bring the changes that he promised.

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="MMan9000":1i39p7xy]I hope he can bring the changes that he promised.

Agreed.

I'm still watching North Carolina, my home state. It has been the closest race this year and I want to see if NC goes blue.
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

President-elect, not President. Bush still has two more months, unfortunately.

Time to watch Senate results. The Democrats just need a few more for that magic 60.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They're not going to make it to 60. It's going to be pretty difficult for them to pull off Georgia, which they must do to reach it. Franken is not certain in Minnesota either. I'm quite sure that Begich will win in Alaska, and the Oregon senate seat is probably going blue.

Their only hope for 60 is to bring Chambliss down under 50% in Georgia, because that means they will have to hold a run-off election to decide the senator, which would give them a chance to take the lead.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yay.

Yay on Obama who may still be a politician and a talker and a promiser and a manipulator of words and feelings, but he's one who's coolheaded, sees all parts of the American public without disdain, speaks intelligently, coherently, beautifully, and has never stooped to hatemongering and alienation to achieve victory. All that and he represents a new rising tide of youth and long repressed minority identity. Millions of children throughout America who have always been disconnected, pushed aside, forgotten and taken for granted will now know they belong to this nation. America will now have a president I can respect and that is something god damn fucking new.

Also yay Ron Paul did not win and lead the nation into a very new mess unmatched by anything since the fall of Rome.

And yay for the democrats losing their 60th seat. There's such thing as too much control.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I should emphasize that I wouldn't mind a filibuster-proof majority, but a simple majority is also fine.

Here's something I posted at due fiumi:

"There's always the possibility that Obama could appoint a Republican Senator to a cabinet position from a state with a Democratic governor, which could push the Democrats to 60. Of course, the GOP also knows how to play the game, so they could tell the Senator to not accept the appointment."
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: US Elections 2008 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Horrah! I am glad that America is safe for another four years, but I respect McCain for gracefully bowing out. He's a good man, Obama is just convincing.

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In all seriousness, this is one of the worst moments of my life. I'm almost crying.

Florida banned gay marriage, gay civil unions, and anything equivalent even from out of state as being recognized. By 62 fucking percent. That's not a close call by any stretch. I live here. These are my neighbors and co-workers that voted for this. People I've spent my entire life living around. Only one county voted over 50% against the amendment, and it was borderline. Less than a 1% difference. The same type of amendment passed in Arizona, banning gay marriage there. And now gays can no longer adopt children in Arkansas, and that measure passed by a wide margin.

And worst of all? Proposition 8 in California is going to pass. Gay marriage will now be banned in California, after the CA Supreme Court allowed it. The defeat of Proposition 8 was going to be the culmination of everything the gay movement had been fighting over for decades. It was going to be one of the greatest triumphs in the fight for equality, if not the single greatest thing we had ever accomplished. It was going to show the country that gay marriage was acceptable, since California is a trendsetter when it comes to the law. And the proposition is passing. It's a close call, but it's passing.

Every single gay rights battle has been lost this election cycle. Every one of them. Everything is falling apart for us.

I don't even have enough words to describe how I'm feeling right now. Angry, confused, bitter, depressed, alone. I don't want to live in Florida anymore. I [i]can't[/i] live here anymore. I feel sick just sitting here at my desk. This place disgusts me now. I walk outside and I feel repulsed. I can't marry here, I can't get a civil union here, I can't adopt a child here. I'm a second-class citizen, and it's been put into my state's constitution. The state is telling me I'm not allowed to have a family, all because I was born with a sexual orientation that puts me into the minority. I can't go to California now to escape it either. California has proven itself to be a bigger fraud than Florida, an accomplishment I didn't think was possible (and unless you've lived here, you have no idea how much of a fraud this state is). Are Massachusetts and Connecticutt my only options?

Obama won. I voted for him. This is the first election where I actually supported a candidate and had hope for a better future. If you voted for Obama, you're going to remember this day for the rest of your life as a happy one. But I won't, and I can't. I'm being teased with promises of equality, then getting sand kicked into my face.

And I have a really strong feeling Obama isn't going to say to do shit about this, at least not anything substantial. He wouldn't want to hurt his popularity this early on. I'll give him time and see what happens. He mentioned gay people in his acceptance speech, the first time any President ever has. But I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Fucking hell.

^Actual quote!
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Admiral Ackbar":1olhsqkb]In all seriousness, this is one of the worst moments of my life. I'm almost crying.

Florida banned gay marriage, gay civil unions, and anything equivalent even from out of state as being recognized. By 62 fucking percent. That's not a close call by any stretch. I live here. These are my neighbors and co-workers that voted for this. People I've spent my entire life living around. Only one county voted over 50% against the amendment, and it was borderline. Less than a 1% difference. The same type of amendment passed in Arizona, banning gay marriage there. And now gays can no longer adopt children in Arkansas, and that measure passed by a wide margin.

And worst of all? Proposition 8 in California is going to pass. Gay marriage will now be banned in California, after the CA Supreme Court allowed it. The defeat of Proposition 8 was going to be the culmination of everything the gay movement had been fighting over for decades. It was going to be one of the greatest triumphs in the fight for equality, if not the single greatest thing we had ever accomplished. It was going to show the country that gay marriage was acceptable, since California is a trendsetter when it comes to the law. And the proposition is passing. It's a close call, but it's passing.

Every single gay rights battle has been lost this election cycle. Every one of them. Everything is falling apart for us.

I don't even have enough words to describe how I'm feeling right now. Angry, confused, bitter, depressed, alone. I don't want to live in Florida anymore. I can't live here anymore. I feel sick just sitting here at my desk. This place disgusts me now. I walk outside and I feel repulsed. I can't marry here, I can't get a civil union here, I can't adopt a child here. I'm a second-class citizen, and it's been put into my state's constitution. The state is telling me I'm not allowed to have a family, all because I was born with a sexual orientation that puts me into the minority. I can't go to California now to escape it either. California has proven itself to be a bigger fraud than Florida, an accomplishment I didn't think was possible (and unless you've lived here, you have no idea how much of a fraud this state is). Are Massachusetts and Connecticutt my only options?

I heard about this and my friends and I were truly disappointed. We were discussing on why this happened, and heard it was a lack of people voting.

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, quite the opposite. It's because too many people voted. On all the gay news sites I go to most of the complaining has turned racist. News item comments aren't pretty right now.

You see, Obama brought a lot of African-American voters out. According to poll information taken of people after they voted in CA, whites, latinos, and asians were pretty much 50/50 when it came to Prop 8. Among these three groups, people voted mostly according to party lines...Dems against it, Repubs for it. Race did not affect voting on Prop 8 in these cases. Black voters were different; if I remember correctly over 70% were for the gay marriage ban, despite almost all black voters being Dems. And the Prop 8 vote is/was very close...a few percentage points at most. if Blacks had voted 50/50, then Prop 8 would have been defeated. And many in the gay community had been worried for a long time that a large black voter turn-out would do this, and it seems to have happened. It's hard to refute it when the numbers are staring you in the face: [u]the black vote passed Prop 8 and banned gay marriage[/u]. I don't like to say it, but that's what happened.

So...yeah...

(But please don't think I'm implying anything racist or that I have racist attitudes. I'm just pointing out what seems to be the situation.)

^Actual quote!
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We'll just have to hope that Obama appoints someone liberal enough to vote for us onto the Supreme Court, Ackbar. If Prop 8 passes, which seems likely (and totally ridiculous), then it's only a matter of time before another court case winds its way up and this time all the way to the National Supreme Court, since the California Supreme Court can't do anything about it any longer. I told Tull I'd throw a fit if it passed, but you already threw it for me, so I don't think I have to.

I would be happy with the way the election turned out, but I can't possibly be at the moment. All I can say is that at least Obama will get to appoint a new justice, or perhaps two, and I hope it will be one that will be liberal enough to define the constitution in the favor of equal rights.

edit: So much for the America that Obama wanted, anyways. Many of the same people who voted for Obama "hope" had to have voted to TAKE AWAY the rights already held by gays in California. That's just retarded, and hypocritical.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Gil-galad":rg9zmdpt]I would be happy with the way the election turned out, but I can't possibly be at the moment. All I can say is that at least Obama will get to appoint a new justice, or perhaps two, and I hope it will be one that will be liberal enough to define the constitution in the favor of equal rights.

"Defining" the constitution will be a constant battle don't you think? Neither side will ever win when the law of the land can mean two things.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's only been 11 hours since the man's been elected and I'm already sick and tired of all the people either whining and complain or saying "have a nice assassination, President Obama" Honestly, what difference does his skin color make? None to me. He's lived in America for all of his adult life, he knows about America, he knows about the situation, he hopes to remedy the situation, end of story.

As to prop 8, I am indeed disappointed in america, CHANGE is the theme but no some people had to ruin it. *sighs*

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 23 of 27

Jump to: