Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is fate unchangable?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Is fate unchangable? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This was the first line of suikoden and im wondering in the suikoden would can anyone really change fate?
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Which suikoden are you talking about? It is said numerous times in Suikoden 3 that fate IS changable. Of course, it ends up that fate stays the same at the end, but it did come close.

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, in most games there is always the option to seek another alternative, run away or not bother.

So in theory, I guess you could end the game abruptly and change it yourself if you so desire. However, I'm assuming that in continuity that probably isn't the case.

Just another observation, and correct me if I'm wrong...

***SPOILER TIME FOR V***
(sorry if there is not to be mention of V here at all, but I felt it relevant to the topic... if it is a cause for concern, please let me know!)

Doesn't Leeknaat show up in V and mention something along the lines of chosing your fate near the end of the game? If someone could elaborate on my poor memory that sure would be helpful.

Last edited by Jossef on Mon May 08, 2006 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sir Spuderik wrote:

***SPOILER TIME!***

Doesn't Leeknaat show up in V and mention something along the lines of chosing your fate near the end of the game? If someone could elaborate on my poor memory that sure would be helpful.

i would gladly answer your question but since suikoden 5 information still cannot be out of the suikoden 5 section you cannot say.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

WARNING: SIGNIFICANT SPOILERS FOR SUIKODENS 1-3 BELOW!!!

The series seems to imply that fate is not unchangeable. Remember the other part of the Suikoden opening? "Even at his most powerless, man's existence is never without meaning." I like to read the opening of Suikoden as a question and answer exchange, the question being "Please tell me the answer: Is fate unchangeable?" and the answer being "Even at his most powerless, man's existence is never without meaning." It's not a direct answer, but an implicit one: if fate is unchangebale, it's hard to see how man's existence can be meaningful. He is robbed of his free will.

The games reflect this principle. In Suikoden I, the Scarlet Moon Empire's leadership has ceased caring for its people, regarding them as meaningless. With the overthrow of the Scarlet Moon Empire and the rise of the Toran Republic, the new government affirms that the common people were not in fact meaningless.

In Suikoden II, the two antagonists are Luca and Jowy Blight. Both make the same mistake as the Scarlet Moon Empire. Luca refuses to regard the vast majority of the rest of the world's population as anything more than his playthings. And although I like Jowy as a character, he makes a grave error in underestimating the human spirit. At Matilda, he reveals that he wants to create a totalitarian state, "born of force and wielding force," that he believes is of the only type that can keep the peace in the Dunan region. In a nutshell, he doesn't think that humanity at large is capable of good governance.

Suikoden III, of course, tackles the issue of fate in a far more direct way that its predecessors. Luc sees in the True Wind Rune that the planned fate for the world is for order to triumph over chaos, and perceives that the future is inevitable unless he destroys the True Wind Rune. No one, neither Luc nor his opponents, want that to happen. The difference between them is that the Fire Bringer believe that the purely orderly world can be thwarted by means other than Luc's plan: the destruction of the True Wind Rune, one million deaths, etc. Here are some quotes illustrating this, all from the Flame Champion's final altercation with Luc:

Hugo in Suikoden III wrote:
Fate? I don't believe it! The Flame Champion, [insert name here], told me that the will of a person can change destiny!

Suikoden III wrote:
Luc: "Then you should understand what I am thinking. This is where the world
will eventually end up: this quiet, sad world. The sadness of destiny is
unavoidable."
Geddoe: "Nonsense!"
Luc: "Nonsense?"
Geddoe: "You can't use this as an excuse. Do you mean to say that because
there is no future, the present should be destroyed? My friend said that the
will of a person can change destiny. I say you are a coward who hasn't got the
will to change fate!"

Suikoden III wrote:
Luc: "Human existence interferes with the realm of the absolute. Humans have
needs in their world, but the world does not need them."
Chris: "Did you say that the world doesn't need people? What meaning would
the world have like that? The swords of the Knights are meant to protect
people. A world without people has no soul. The will of a person can change
destiny. These are the Flame Champion, [insert name here]'s words. I believe this as well!"

Chris: "You talk about destiny and freedom, but they matter only after our
everyday needs have been satisfied. Are you really ready to sacrifice human
lives for your destiny and freedom? Do you comprehend the importance of human
life?"

Interestingly enough, it's entirely possible that Luc was in the right. Hugo, Chris, and Geddoe never did explain how they intend for the order-imposed apocalype to be stopped, and unless a way different from Luc's can be found, they may well have doomed humanity by stopping him. Hopefully, the final Suikoden games will shed some light on that...

Like I said, the series suggests that fate is changeable. However, we really don't know enough to state it for sure. For all we know, Hugo, Geddoe, and Chris were fated to stop Luc from messing with fate's plans. Unfortuantely, Suikoden IV is more or less irrelevant with regards to the question of fate, and if I mention Suikoden V here, Axiose will rend me limb from limb.

By the way, the quotes are from the Story Scenes/Ending FAQ for Suikoden III over at GameFAQs. It's quite the interesting read for anyone interested in Suikoden III's story.
ryanwh

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

multiple endings=yes :P
duh
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ryanwh wrote:
multiple endings=yes :P
duh

Not necessarily. In every game, only one ending actually happens. It's possible that that ending is fated in that particular playthrough.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I ask about fate being unchagable i meant it as a whole for the suikoden world.(meaning all games thus far included) Anyway do people in the suikoden world really have free will or are they nothing more than puppets of fate?
ramenNrice

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i dont think so, remember how leeknat always say that she will be watching over the path you choose, which tells me that she is just merely watching over the fate of the path you choose, so i wouldnt think they are jsut "mere puppets" but yea .. fate is changeable if you push hard enough to move forward. xp
Tokuro

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only question that I ask is if Luc was also faded to lose.... Seeing that the true runes are the excence of suikoden God, than that explains why the rare fact of four true runes "joining" forces to defeat Luc
My guess is that fate exist, otherwise there would not be stars of destiny right? But that it is not unbreakeable and stucked but you must have a hell of will power to change it
Zeik Tuvai

Aura of the Wolf

12319 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's no way to tell if there is such a thing as fate... Just whatever you believe in. Fate can be changable if you think it can, but those changes might also be fate. Fate is... A really bad excuse, if you ask me.

I think the people of the Suikoden world use the word "fate" purely as an excuse to say things were out of their hands and uncontrollable. Sometimes, you can't control things, and it may not be your fault, but I highly doubt fate had anything to do with the decisions made by characters in the Suikoden series.

Fate is a pretty, romantic word, but we don't know if it exists in any world; Suikoden's or ours.
Cowardice cannot survive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Song Jiang

Liangshan

1368 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

men make their own fate!!!!!

-IT IS THAT WHICH MAKES US DIFFERENT THAT BRINGS US TOGETHER.-
Zahak

Queen's knights

20981 Potch
44 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fate is what you make it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: