Suikoden United and Irrational Kibbutz Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Brett Favre wants back

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Brett Favre wants back Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Those of you who have been following NFL news know that Brett Favre wants to return, and that he is running into resistance from the Green Bay Packers. Supposedly Favre expressed his interest in returning on the 20th of June, but was essentially rebuked. The Packers, for their part, have issued statements saying things like "We've moved on as an organization." There also were reports that the Packers would accept him back as a backup to Aaron Rodgers, to which the Packers responded that they would allow Favre to compete for the starting job, but wouldn't give it to him outright.

I can't say I blame the Packers for taking the stance of having moved on, because they've already done most of the work in installing a new offense built around Aaron Rodgers through mini camps. At the same time I also have a hard time blaming Favre, because he reportedly was pressured into making the decision earlier than he wanted to--right after the football season, I'm sure he did feel burnt out and like he didn't want to play. But as the year goes on that kinda goes away.

There's a lot of posturing and he said she said going on right now, but I think the simple thing is this: the Packers placed Favre on the reserved/retired list, which means if Favre decides to untretire his rights belong to the Packers. However, the Packers would then be on the hook for the remaining part of his existing contract and would have no choice than to admit him to the active roster, trade him, or cut him. And, seeing as Favre would be due 12.4 million and that it would all be guarranteed at the start of the season because he is a veteran, the Packers would be in a tough spot themselves. I think if Favre really wants to play he should just unretire and place the ball in the Packer's court. I find it hard to believe that Favre would be relegated to backup duty given not only his iconic status, but also his enormous salary. Its true that the Packers have the cap room to deal with such a large salary, but can you imagine that boos and jeers that would come from Green Bay fans if Rodgers performed poorly? Heck, even if Rodgers performed well he'd probably still get booed.

On the issue of whether or not Favre can still play, I think he can if he stays with the Packers or goes to the right type of team. Last year the Packers had a west coast style offense, so that would be the kind of team I think he should go to. I gotta feel for Aaron Rodgers though--talk about being in a crap situation. He's been collecting dust in Favre's shadow for several years and when he finally thinks he has a shot to be the guy, this gets thrown in his face. That's another issue--what will Rodgers do if Favre comes back and gets the starting job up in Green Bay?

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This obviously pains me, being a die hard Packer fan. It's a craptacular, no-win situation for both the Packers and Favre. The Packers realize it, but Favre doesn't.

I actually thought I would have been part of the 1% of the Cheesehead nation that DIDN'T want Favre back, but I was surprised to see that it's actually 50-50. Frankly, I think the guy should stay retired. If he feels alienated by the front office it's because Thompson and McCarthy have to make decisions that are for the overall betterment of the Packers organization, not for the betterment of one man's ego.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the guy can play. Which is why I was stunned when he retired back in March in the first place. But now that 4 months have passed and training camp is right around the corner, he's feeling that same itch to play and this time I think it's highly inappropriate for him to return.

a) He's being inducted into the Packers' Ring of Honor opening weekend with his #4 jersey retired

b) He's the presenter for Frank Winters during his induction later this month

c) The team all but announced from the day (well, day after) Favre retired that Rodgers was their starting QB and that they were prepared to move on without Favre.

d) They drafted two QB's in this past year's draft, one in the 2nd round, implying a great investment in the future of the position.

e) Favre can't be released without people burning crosses on Ted Thompson's lawn. He can't be traded unless it's for a player with equal iconic status, and even that is sketchy at best.

There are only two scenarios here that I see playing out. Either Favre is forced to shut up and stay retired or he gets traded, preferably to a team in the AFC but certainly to a team the Packers don't have to face in this upcoming season.

My ideal situation is for the Packers to trade Favre to Miami for Jason Taylor straight up. It would still certainly suck to see him get traded, and it would be even more sucky to see him play in any other jersey besides the Packers. But if he's committed to playing and the only solution is to ship him out, I think Miami would be a great spot. I also think the Packers would greatly benefit from adding a player of Taylor's caliber to the DL to play opposite Kampman. At 34, Taylor is no spring chicken, and the only black spot on his resume is the absence of a Super Bowl ring. Coming to a team like the Packers, who just finished one overtime game away from a shot at the Lombardi trophy, with 21 of 22 starters returning, would give Taylor a great chance to win it all before he hangs 'em up.

I wonder what everyone else thinks is the best outcome from this PR trainwreck.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
My ideal situation is for the Packers to trade Favre to Miami for Jason Taylor straight up.

Ya never know. It actually sounds like a reasonable deal for the Packers. I think Miami is on its way up now, but I wonder how Favre would actually feel about going there...

Personally, I think Favre would look awesome in a Jets uniform.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For all that he is, all that he's done for the league and Green Bay in general, I think he needs to retire. Green Bay needs to move on...

The worst thing they could do is have Favre be Aaron Rodgers backup. Because when Rodgers screws up (and he will, becuase he sucks) they'll be calling to put Favre back in as starter... and you're right back where you started... only this time you'll need to draft a new QB because Rodgers will be done there.

I like the MIA - GB trade you mention... but even then, if you were the GM of the Packers you'd need absolute trust that your owner will not screw you over when Rodgers screws up (and he will, because he sucks).

I don't think Favre wants to return to the NFL. He only wants to return to GB. If GB says no, Favre will likely stay retired... I honestly can't see him in another uniform...

I don't see a way that Green Bay, the organization can win this short of that trade and hope that whomever they bring in will be enough to take them deep in the playoffs. The risk is that when Rodgers screws up (and he will...) there will be so many questions why they didn't let Favre come back.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Same old song and dance from the guy. He gives a "heartfelt" retirement speech only to find that he still wants to live his glory days again, even though most of this last decade was anything but.

In my point of view, if Favre cared about the Packers, he wouldn't have put them in this situation. He didn't express the possibility of wanting to come back when they could have gotten more for the guy, like trading during the draft, and he wants an unconditional release. He doesn't care about the Packers in the long term. Aaron Rodgers is already in a horrible situation being the QB after Favre, now he'll have to face the scrutiny of being chosen to play over him. Rodgers inevitable mistakes (and it will happen more because he hasn't been given a real chance play) are going to be compounded because the guy who wouldn't stay retired decided he wanted to shrug off this two-month retirement.

The only thing separating him from Roger Clemens is that Favre isn't likely to get any over-inflated one-year contracts from different teams. It's a shame, I like the guy, but it's obvious that he thinks the game revolves around him.
Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, looks like there is a chance Brett may come to the green and white. I don't take it as a good sign for Kellen Clemens if they actually go after Favre. I don't think he had much of an opportunity last year because the Jets O-line was one of the worst in the NFL. I wouldn't mind seeing him play with more than one tenth of a second in the pocket.

The Jets will be decent next year thanks to a much improved line, but I wonder if Favre would make them much better. He'd have to learn a new system and there are a lot of new players.

But hell, I still think it'd be pretty cool to see him in a Jets uniform... even if it is only for one year.
Calvin

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

He'd have to learn a new system

He doesn't really listen to coaches anyway from what I hear, so maybe that part won't be such a hurdle! I do sort of agree with you though. I don't know how much this will help the Jets. Even if he does good for a year or two, seems to me the Jets are more than a solid Quarterback away from being a great team. I guess this would buy them time at least to try and get someone they have faith in.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those

Calvin

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Looks like Samurai X got his wish--Brett Favre is now a Jet. Profootballtalk.com lists the compensation as a 4th round pick, which can escalate to a 3rd pretty easily, a 2nd if the Jets get in the playoffs, and a 1st if the Jets get to the Superbowl. There are also some playing time clauses in there that I didn't pay much attention to because, well, its Brett Favre. Also, word on the street is the Jets would owe the Packers three first round picks if they traded him to a team in the Packers division such as the Vikings, whom Favre was rumored to want to play for.

As a result of the move Chad Pennington got cut, which I think is too bad because Pennington has been a gamer for the Jets. I know his arm strength is terrible, but he plays well when he's in there and doesn't complain about the Jets constantly yanking his chain. I'm sure he'll end up starting a few games at least for some team in need this year though--these types of players usually do.

It remains to be seen how well Favre will do on the Jets, but I think that when he's really been motivated he's turned in some great performances. And what can be more motivating than being shunned by the team you carried for so many years? Of course, I could also see the bottom falling out--when Favre is bad, he's really, really bad.

Samurai X

The Hokies

74481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah! Looks like the Jets will be giving up a first round pick next year!
In all seriousness, I think it will be an enjoyable season. It should be fun to see Brett play for the Jets. Who knows what will happen.

And although I've never really liked Pennington, I do feel for the guy. He bleeds green. He will get another chance. Maybe in Miami where he could get some opportunities to get back at the Jets. That thought scares me some.

Quote:
Of course, I could also see the bottom falling out--when Favre is bad, he's really, really bad.

Haha, Jets fans are used to that type of scenario. We'd just have to move forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: