Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

FIFA World Rankings - April 2005
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll be damned if my thread is going to suffer due to your off-topic blatherings. :P

I'm requesting a topic split from any moderator who happens to bumble in here. From the 9th post and onwards on page 2, the thread should be split off and renamed as the 'FA Premier League' thread.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blatherings?! Your topic would be nothing without Black Pesmerga's and my own ramblings! :P

On that note I'm not sure I should continue the big footballing debate here or not now, that and I'm laughing a bit from John calling it off-topic blatherings. I like that word, it's being stored for later usage!

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ROFL. Well it's up to the admins/mods whether they wanted to split the thread or not. I still think that there's not much to talk about when the thread is just about the rankings. There's nothing to discuss because in the end, the rankings of the nations don't really matter. It's what happened in the field that matters. So if there's supposed to be a football discussion, it should be more about the football itself rather than the rankings. But that's just me.

Now moving on to Newcastle not-so-United. This team is really really disappointing. I remembered back in the 90s where they were so dangerous with Andy Cole in front, and now ... they simply don't have the heart to play football. The players have the quality, but not enough heart to work together as a team, and their defense is as fragile as poached egg.

The goalkeeper is of good quality (anyone thinks that Shay Given kind of looks like George Clooney's Batman's Robin?) but the defensive players are horrendeous. Simply not worthy to play for a team like Newcastle. Stephen Carr is a mediocre player. Celestine Babayaro is even worse. Andy O'Brien and Steven Taylor (I think that's the young guy's name?) are okay. Titus Bramble .. now here's the guy that could single-handedly destroy a team, his team that is, not the opponent's. Think of how horrible Pascal Cygan of Arsenal and Igor Biscan of Liverpool are? Now double that and you got yourself a Titus Bramble. Simply not delivering his mighty first name, and his last name should be changed to Crumble.

Their midfield is all good on paper, but horrible on the pitch. Laurent Robert remains to be my favorite Newcastle player, but even I know that he's not good at all when it comes to defense. And he's simply too moody (just like yours truly haha) to give consistent performance. Then Kyeron Dyer, once claimed to be the next best thing in England? Where did that talent go, Mr.Dyer? Lee Bowyer is a unique player for sure. Whenever you got someone in your team who doesn't mind punching a teammate in the middle of a game, now that's a sign to show that there's something really really really wrong with your team. Nicky Butt, boy oh boy, I've always made fun of his name, and I actually root for him to get some minutes while he was still in Manchester United. I thought it was a good move to go to Newcastle, but apparently I was dead wrong. That red face of his doesn't match the black and white stripes of the Magpies.

Onto the forward. Well poor Bellamy was sent out to Celtic, and most likely would not return to Newcastle ever. Alan Shearer could only do so much on his own, and his getting old too. Patrick Kluivert ... here's someone that I was hoping would get his performance back after the move from Barcelona, but dang, I was wrong again (I'm wrong a lot when it comes to Newcastle this season), he's really really mediocre that I don't think he can revive his career. Shola Ameobi, got the hype, but not delivering. It's usual story when it comes to Newcastle, really.

Last but not least, the manager. Sir Bobby Robson was getting old, and I think it was actually a nice thing that he was sacked (not the sacking itself that's nice, but to get away from a team like that), but the decision to replace him with Greame Sounness? Now that's another big mistake. I think it's about time that Newcastle start to think seriously about rebuilding their team. Otherwise, before they knew it, they could be sucked to Division 1 ... or even worse, end up like Leeds United.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Did you just say Zinedine Biscan was anything but a living legend in his own time because if you did you're certainly wrong! Did you not see him against Juve? He is a god amongst men and actually gathering a cult following! (The cult following bit is the only serious part of my post so far...that and he was good against Juve).

Ugh, Cygan...the most clumsy defender in the premiership. I honestly don't know why Arsenal ever got him, he adds nothing, probably takes something away from their quality instead.

Newcastle should get another striker, maybe Dean Ashton if Norwich go down, he seems like a quality player, but that's idle speculation on my part, at least they managed somehow to keep Shearer, despite his years he's their best forward. Kluivert may well be gone after this year and Ameobi simply isn't that good.

Dyer's still pretty good even if I've never been much of a fan but you're right about their defence, not exactly a back 4 available to them that makes you think 'It'll be a clean sheet today for them!'. Nicky Butt is alright, he was injured for a while if I'm not mistaken but he hasn't been a bad signing, just not great. Sort of like Ray Parlour moving to Middlesborough, not bad...just not great. never been much of a Parlour fan incidentally.

Poor Bellamy? Poor? He Fs and blinds at his manager then gets sent away, rightly so! Celtic have themselves a very fiery player there, to put it nicely. Actually I wanted Hartson to come back to the prem, I think he's pretty darn good these days.

Listen to what I just read on Football365.com...(This is after the cup exit to the hands of Manchester United).

Quote:
And Shepherd (Newcastle Chairman) told the Daily Express: "It's true that messages were received from Bellamy's phone - but he got more than he bargained for from Alan Shearer. The text he sent to Kenneth (Freddy Shephard's son) was mildly upsetting but what he said to Shearer was insulting."

He continued: "It was along the lines that he was past it and his legs had gone and that he was going to come back here from Celtic.

"I can tell you there is no chance of that. Bellamy has taken on a hero in Alan and there is only one winner of that one. And it is not Bellamy.

"Alan might have thought twice about firing off a reply but he was obviously so riled he reacted. He told Bellamy he would knock his block off if he ever set foot back in Newcastle."

What an Asshole! (pardon my language)

I'd say Newcastle going down couldn't happen since they just have the money and the backing to stay in the premiership but they really haven't been in any way inspiring this year. I had to check the table before posting this but really, they are in 14th, it's no joke! That's awful, Souness was supposed to be this hardman disciplinarian coming in and all he's done is drag them further down in my eyes. Boumsong should be a good signing I'll say that though.

Oh, supposedly Titus Bramble has been alright this year, heard that from a Magpies fan so that means he's been awful as ever. He was good once...at Ipswich that is and that was probably only comparatively to the rest of that side that got relegated.

You're right with Tottenham, my minefield of mediocrity comment was a little damning, they are just above average, I would agree there. If they did have all of those midfielders, perhaps they would let out the younger ones on loan to smaller clubs, get them some much needed playing time for their development as players. Here's wishing if they steal Routledge they let him play for Palace again, though that simply wouldn't happen because he's a very good attacking threat down the right hand side that would get himself into the Tottenham team right now I think, possibly not every start, he's young and with their numbers could afford to be patient with him and not burn him out.

Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah Zinedine Biscan was good against Juventus, but for most of the years in Liverpool as a defender, he was crap. Almost as crap as Cygan btw. Hahaha. And to think that Cygan was the best player in French League the year before he joined Arsenal ... oooh the horror!!!!!! *shudders*

When I said "poor" Bellamy, I didn't mean it "poor" as in "poor baby", but more like "you're a darn poor football player Bellamy". Pardon me for not putting the words properly. It's quite hard sometimes considering that English isn't my first language. x_x!

And yeah, I read that bit about him sending that text message to Shearer and Sheperd Jr. but somehow I have a sneaky suspicion that Bellamy would come to the press and deny everything, saying that it was probably a prank by someone who got to use his mobile phone without his knowledge or something. He'd deny everything!!!! We should deny him as well, methinks. It would probably be a good idea for Bellamy to join a club where Lee Bowyer played next season, Lee would've given him a smackdown on the pitch, and that'd be fun to watch. And I prefer them to join Manchester United next season, haahhaa.

Oh Boumsong!!! You made a good point, I totally forgot about him. Now I feel bad for him for being the only capable defender in the team. It really showed how hard he work on the pitch but simply not getting the support he deserved. Against Manchester United in FA Cup semi final? He was there to deny deny deny many goalscoring chances. One slip up by him, no one there to help him out, and 0-1 down they go. x_x I was upset enough to not bother watching the rest of the match. Haha. But yeah, hopefully Newcastle would have the brain to get a better defender to partner him. Great move to get rid of Woodgate (or I'd say Jonathan Woodleg) for money btw =)

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Speaking of the French league, Essien looked good for Lyon recently and Manchester United are rumoured to be very interested in this promising youngster, oh and guess who else are rumoured to be interested...Arsenal of course!

About Bellamy, it was probably a case of my misreading what you meant as much as it was your wording, I think your English is very good, and well, I won't even mention my ability to speak other languages.

Nice Bowyer/Bellamy situation right there, that's pretty funny. Bowyer is leaving Newcastle at the end of the year (expiring contract), makes me wonder who's going to go for him and think they can keep this madman calm, well perhaps madman is harsh I don't know the full situation with him and Dyer but he certainly must have a short fuse to do what he did in such a public forum. It's probably going to be a sub-standard team looking for a talent boost at the expense of some sanity.

Woodgate healed and got injured again, maybe if he was still in Newcastle he would of recovered then played in the form of his life giving them a solid back 4...who knows, but yeah the money must of been nice. I'd like to think Newcastle have the sense to get a better centreback to go with Boumsong but then again the only thing they don't really need is a goalkeeper. Gay Shiven is pretty good and Harper's not the worst backup in the world.

Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh yeah, Essien is the hottest player in French League this season with the so many big clubs interested in him. But then again, I've never really watched him played, so I don't really know what kind of player he is. One thing for sure though, it's quite rare to see great player coming from the French League these days (bar the really big name players like Ronaldinho that is).

Going back to Bowyer, while I do think that he's not the cold-headed player in the world, I think his violent act was simply due to HUGE frustration. Newcastle has been ridiculously disappointing, and it's kind of understandable that Bowyer blew up like that. Not to say that it was the right thing to do (obviously it was very wrong), but I could understand how he must've felt throughout this year after playing below par for most of the season. I guess it was kind of the last straw that really just made him lost the plot. And Bowyer was rumored to be heading to Charlton if they cannot afford Scott Parker (or him not being let go by Chelsea).

Woodgate is definitely a good defender, but I think a fragile injury prone player will find it very hard to keep competing at the very physically demanding modern football. It would be no good if Woodgate can only play 1/3 to 1/2 of the season every year simply because he's out due to injury most of the times.

Shay Given's only problem is his height. I sometimes feel bad for him when he just fully stretched his arm and just missed the ball by an inch or so. It would've been saved had he been a little bit taller. x_x *pats pats Shay Given*

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw Essien play in the champion's league and that's it seems to have a pretty good long range shot on him, I think he rang one off a post or the bar vs PSV with a really good effort. I can't say too much else about him...actually I might know where I can find a bit of a scouting report from a fan of the french leagues...
*goes to check*

Quote:

Michael Essien, Ghana, Lyon, MF, 09/06/82
Was known in Bastia for his amazing shot, and good defensive midfield skills. Suffered a bad injury that prevented him to show his stuff in Lyon. He now has developped into a complete midfielder in Lyon. He's a rock defensively, with effortless tackling skills, and is great in offensive support. He scores regularly now.

Mickael Essien, Midfielder, Ghana, Lyon - 09/06/1982
Essien is another solid midfielder who has had a very impressive time when playing with Bastia. Hasn't reached full speed with Lyon as yet and is somewhat untidy at times. But for all the balls he loses, he is able to recover many too.

Take these for what you will, they're written by football fans on an ice hockey board I frequent. The writers are however French so I assume know where they're coming from. Interestingly the writer of the first one moved him from 30th up to 2nd in his list of French footballing prospects over the course of this season (behind Phillipe Mexes of AS Roma).

I've heard bad things about Bowyer's personality from people who've met him, I won't go into who said what though...I doubt he's as bad as all that otherwise he wouldn't of lasted as long as he has done with top flight teams. I don't see why it would be Bowyer or Parker...unless it's a wages issue, since Bowyer would move on a free, he's out of contract once this season is over. I doubt he has grounds to ask for ridiculous money or a massive signing on fee.

Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well judging from his sudden rise as a hot player to join either England, Italian, or Spanish league, I think it would be quite safe to say that Essien is indeed someone with talent to recognize. Now my question is whether Essien is more offensive minded or defensive minded. But either way, I think his talent would be wasted if he were to join Arsenal or Manchester United.

In Arsenal, he would be having huge problem trying to dethrone Vieira or Gilberto from the defensive midfield position. Those two are as good as defensive midfielders could be. Essien's chance would come if one of those two got injured (which seems quite possible for Gilberto). If he is offensive minded, I'm concerned on how Essien could fit Arsenal who seems to be relying more on the wings with Pires-Ljungberg (at least up to this season that is, different case if Pires left next season) while I assume Essien to be working in the central position. But we'll see.

In Manchester United, he could be buried or burying. If he's offensive minded, he'd have no chance in replacing either Scholes or Rooney. The red-face is Sir Alex's homeboy and definitely irreplacable. Rooney well, he's the wunderkind and he cost Manchester United LOTS of money. So he'd play too. No place for Essien on offensive side. If he is a defensive minded player, he could be perfect, assuming that Sir Alex is willing to bump out the Captain Keano, and the always-sub-no-real-position-after-3218579375957 years-playing-for-Manchester United Phil Neville. I don't see him replacing Keane, but it's possible that he'd end younger Neville's career in Manchester United.

Hopefully, Essien would jump to Everton instead to replace Gravesen. He sounds kind of like the Danish, just a bit smaller maybe? But I doubt Everton could spend that much money on him if he were up for sale.

Going back to Charlton. It would be Bowyer or Parker because Scotty would be their first choice to boost their midfield, but the problem would be either Chelsea not willing to sell him or Charlton not having enough money to buy him or the fans hating him (which I doubt would be enough to make the team not buy him btw). Bowyer would be kind of like their "safety net" (though a very controversial safety net, mind you) because he's free, and most likely no other EPL teams want Lee after what he did to Dyer.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well from those little reports I showed you I gathered he's defensive but with a good shot, I'm not exactly sure if I can make a good comparison since that kind of player is rare in my mind...Perhaps Gerrard-ish? He's a good tough tackler and not as attacking as Lampard is for instance but he has a great shot from range.

Phil Neville I heard recently might be 'doing a Butt' and leaving Manchester for Middlesborough to play under McClaren since he was the old assistant at manchester United. But I bet half the players we've brought up as supposedly going somewhere through the course of this thread don't go. I'd assume in Manchester Essien would be phased in sort of like Ronaldo has been, quite effectively I might add.

I'm going to add another player to the list of possibilities for leaving...Viera was tipped to go to Real Madrid at the beggining of this season adn it still exists as a possibility. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if he did but I don't think he will if you catch my drift.

As for Charlton...I guess if he's (Parker) not needed at Chelsea maybe Charlton could cut a deal and bring him back for the same price, I don't know...I'm not sure if Chelsea would do that now they're supposedly striving for (having a lot of difficulty thinking of the word now) self-reliance. That's not the word I want but it fits right and the thinking is taking too long. Maybe I'm wrong though and the Addicks could pick him up for less, that'd be a good piece of business for Curbishley.

Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I doubled posted. :oops:

Last edited by Exile on Tue May 03, 2005 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

^^ good double post (LOL)

If you want someone to compare to Essien, let's say that he is a smaller, but faster version of Vieira from Arsenal.
And there are quite some real good players in French League (You saw Monaco's team last year, or Lyon's, or Marseille's, or PSG's...) like Evra, Luyindula (if that's the spelling), Juninho Pernambucano, Pauleta (although he is a bit old), Chevanton...

Lets say that French League is a bit like the Portuguese, here and there comes someone who is considered great by international standards, but there are times where it is a misery. :(

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oops, shame you noticed it before I did, if there was no post after it I could still delete it...I don't know much about the portugese league, I remember Schmeichel played there, I obviously know a bit about Porto and Mourinho last year. What about the rest of the teams any good? Or are Porto a bit dominant?

Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Schmeichel played there in the descent time of his career. About portuguese teams, you have 3 principals: Porto, Benfica and Sporting.
Porto- you know how it was last year, and before that, we won 5 consecutive championships, and 3 Portuguese cups (This is, last 6-7 years, and first 2 championships were won with Bobby Robson as the coach) currently is in 3rd place;
Sporting- Currently in 2nd, has a proeminance of players formed there, you see, Cristiano Ronaldo, Figo, Hugo Viana, Luis Boa Morte were formed in their's school. It's also on semi-final of UEFA cup and with advantage to the final (2-0 home against AZ Alkmaar);
Benfica- The 1st club which Mourinho trained, for about 3 months, is currently 1st in championship. It's the old giant of portuguese football, already won 2 European Champion's cup, but don't win any championship for 13 years (and I hope this one is no exception :lol: ).
As for other teams, you have to consider Boavista, won a championship about 4 years ago, made it to 2nd phase in Champion's, when Porto won UEFA cup, they were eliminated by Celtic at the semi-finals; You also have Braga, portuguese conterpart of Arsenal (at least in the shirts...), which was fighting for the championship until last game (lost home with Sporting 3-0); and Guimarães, which practises some of the better football you see here.
Well, there are others, like Rio Ave and Leiria, but they've never been in a European competition.

PS: There were some great players playing in Portugal excluding Schmeichel and last year players of Porto, like: Pierre Van Hooijdonk, Claudio Cannigia, Jardel, Ivica Kralij (OK, this one no so good), Doriva, Michael Thomas, Brian Deane, Mark Pembridge, Sigurd Rushfeldt (for a month...), long long ago, Frank Rijkaard (for a month too...), Balakov, Yuran...

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How could I forget Sporting, they eliminated Newcastle (what happened to Newcastle in that match?). Yeah some not bad teams right there, I underrated the league. Thanks for the info on things.

Portugal does produce it's share of quality players after all, look at the national team. Shame they had to beat England last time they met on penalties, that brings back bad memories...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: