Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Soil on Mars is good for plants...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Soil on Mars is good for plants... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was checking my mail when I stumbled across this article. I find it interesting and only moderately suprising considering that Mars has so far shown signs of being similar to the Earth minus visible water. Of course this could just be made up but let's humor NASA for now shall we?

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Septimus

43015 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Terraforming Mars will be done within 100 years.
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The spice is life.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What's funny is NASA first said "the soil would be good for growing asparagus."

Asparagus!? Why asparagus?
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Isn't it obvious? That's what vegetable they would be if they were a vegetable of course!
Septimus

43015 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On a more serious note, I think it could be done terraforming that planet.

Drop some neat cuddly machines down there that start polluting, so you get some nice global warming (srsly), so when it's rather hot and a nice atmosphere, drop down plants that create oxygen and BAM 100 years later you have a 'livable' planet.

Or so they say.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
What's funny is NASA first said "the soil would be good for growing asparagus."

Asparagus!? Why asparagus?

Probably means that the soil isn't good for growing anything but asparagus. Seems like asparagus is the cockroach of vegetables. ;)

Also, just because the soil is good for growing doesn't mean that the current temperature would allow for it, and there is certain lack of non-ice water.

I'm skeptical about terraforming, really. I suppose it's achievable one way or another, but it's much more realistic to focus on how to transport larger materials and equipment, and humans there before we start thinking about that sort of thing. We don't even know how to transport materials as large as would be needed to start off a greenhouse effect on their atmosphere.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mars has a lot more against it than just temperature and no usable water. It has lower gravity and severe wind storms; a bad combination for top soil (aka dust storms) and anything in it. The atmosphere is much thinner than earth's and Mars only has a remnant magnetic field (fields "trapped" in rocks), both of which leave it susceptible to solar radiation. This is somewhat offset by distance, but if it were in earth's position, I find it hard to believe much, if any, life could survive. So saying that the soil itself could support asparagus is good press and they left out all of these other details for a reason. The more public interest, the more funding NASA gets, generally.

Terraforming is nice for science fiction, but it is nowhere near a reality. We do not have the capability of getting anything besides these rovers, satellites, and landers to Mars. We cannot send people (and have them arrive alive anyway). We cannot send the necessary supplies. We don't have the technology designed, built, tested, and approved for a means to harvest necessary materials there (including those for fuel to launch the astronauts back to earth), let alone being able to send it. In fact, we cannot even get a lot of materials in current theories off earth's surface. They're just too massive.

NASA's current plans include new shuttles since the current ones retire in 2010 (last I heard) and they want to get back to the moon first. They can use the moon as a testbed for technologies, procedures, and facilities that we might want to use on Mars. It's "close" so it's safer. I don't think anyone there is irresponsible enough to try to leapfrog all of that and go straight for a manned mission to Mars.

And if you wanted to propose terraforming right away, then you introduce many more variables. Has life mutated? Where is it safe to land? Are we sure the atmosphere is breathable? Are we damaging any possible fossils or geologic remains that could tell us about past Mars? We would be destroying a lot of history in the process, I think. And in the end, you would still have the issues of how we would get people there and back safely. Since NASA is a government agency and rely on government funding (which is actually not much bigger than their costs), they move slowly. I think 100 years is far too generous an estimate.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hydroponic facilities for growing food could be established on Mars, on the other hand, to support human life on that planet. However, that still is thinking way too far in advance as we don't have the means to get humans there, let alone the ability to get the materials necessary to build such a 'farm'.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Septimus

43015 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would take so much resource getting there, anyway, that I don't see the point, other than your ordinary 'I'M AN EXPLORERERR'-attitude of people depressed there's nothing more to discover on earth.

Besides the additional space, I don't think we could benefit from Mars in our life-time, spite us growing to be 2000 years old.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We can send people we don't like to Mars. It can be the new Australia!
Assassin01

Team Assassination

575125 Potch
200 Soldiers
900 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whats wrong about Australia?
MMan9000
Ralphy Leone Tensei
Lymsleia Falenas
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Australia used to be where all criminals in England got shipped to!
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:

And they can have asparagus.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:

I'll get my coat.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: