Suikoden Urgent and Informational Karma Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

US Elections 2008
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gil-galad wrote:
To be honest-- most Clinton supporters I know would also support Obama. On the other hand, many Obama supporters I know would ever support Clinton. I'm quite sure that the majority of the Democratic party would side with Obama in the end. I think that choosing Clinton would alienate more voters, especially independents, than it would gain him.

Thinking about Vice Presidents reminds me of how much I liked Bill Richardson back in the early primaries. He's incredibly competent on foreign policy, so having him as VP would hopefully allay any doubts about Obama's lack of experience in that field.

Richardson would also give Obama a large chunck of Hillarys base, the latino vote, that is a swing vote and probably wouldn't vote for him anyway.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gil-galad wrote:
To be honest-- most Clinton supporters I know would also support Obama. On the other hand, many Obama supporters I know would ever support Clinton. I'm quite sure that the majority of the Democratic party would side with Obama in the end. I think that choosing Clinton would alienate more voters, especially independents, than it would gain him.

Thinking about Vice Presidents reminds me of how much I liked Bill Richardson back in the early primaries. He's incredibly competent on foreign policy, so having him as VP would hopefully allay any doubts about Obama's lack of experience in that field.

For the first part, I've seen a lot of it both ways. There was a poll out some time back (before the Rev. Wright deal started, mind you), that said something like 15% of Clinton supporters wouldn't support Obama, and 20% of Obama supporters wouldn't support Clinton. Despite the fact that the two have nearly identical platforms, this is a troubling sign. Of course, when the heat dies and the elections actually begin, those people could easily swap, but it does show the animosity between them.

I'd like Richardson as a VP choice. He cuts into Hilary's base as a Latino, which is a huge demographic for them to reach. I actually liked him as a main candidate back when the primaries were just beginning. For Edwards, like was said, no one is interested until they're actually faced with the decision. He may stand by it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did become interested later on.
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wonder what happens in between the final primary and the convention. What happened the last time around? Do they just call Superdelegates? If there was a deicided candidate, he could spend that time campaigning in anticipation of the general election, but that won't happen this time around. Maybe that's when they'll deicide between themselves who the candidate should be.
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jowy Atreides wrote:
I wonder what happens in between the final primary and the convention. What happened the last time around? Do they just call Superdelegates? If there was a deicided candidate, he could spend that time campaigning in anticipation of the general election, but that won't happen this time around. Maybe that's when they'll deicide between themselves who the candidate should be.

Most of the times, it's already decided by this point, and the nearest candidate has already withdrawn. In this case, I imagine that one may still bow out, but only after the last primary. If not, yeah, pretty much they'll go into convention and the superdelegates will vote and they'll somehow decide who to choose and there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth and claims of backroom dealings, etc.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sick of this crap! This is the ending of star wars IV over and over and over. Something happens in this small niche that works for both sides. Even more is Barack's win which is small yet large at the same time! It hurts my head and I just want a candidate!

>>

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Next up is Puerto Rico, although it's not for a while. At least it's a lot more interesting than West Virginia.

Apparently a good amount of Puerto Ricans speak English, but I'm assuming that both candidates will have translators, correct?

Apparently Obama isn't too far behind Clinton, although, to be fair, Puerto Ricans (especially the ones still on the island) constitute a different voting bloc than mainland Latinos, who tend to support Clinton.

I think Clinton will still win anyway, although it'll probably be much closer than places like Kentucky and West Virginia.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't Clinton actually have no chance to win at this point? I mean, as i look at the margin between Obama and Clinton (157 votes, from what i've read), Even if Clinton should win 100% in Puerto Rico, Montana and South Dakota, she would only get 110 more votes, and no matter how you add that up, Clinton can't beat Obama in votes. So I wonder what reason would Hillary Clinton have for continuing her campaign at this point. It's probably something simple that i have overlooked.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Barack Obama only needs 61 delegates, whereas Clinton needs 247. There are more than 247 delegates left, so theoretically she could win. However, she'd have to convince every last undeicided Superdelegate to choose her, and she'd have to win every last primary by a huge margin (like 60% in her favor). There are lot more Superdelegates left than regular delegates, looking at the charts.

Superdelegates can do whatever they want, but it looks like they've already made up their minds. They would be the ones who deicide if this goes all the way to the convention, but I'm doubtful it'll go that far.

This is why I think she's looking for a Vice Presidential slot. There's nothing else to fight for. I'm not saying Obama wants her for his Vice President, but that's what she wants.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As one of the few resident Puerto Ricans, I thought I'd throw my two cents as to how things are looking here concerning the two democratic presidential candidates.

Both candidates, as we would expect, seem to be focusing on Puerto Rico's political status, as they rightly should, since it's probably the most important issue on the island, and it has been for as long as I can remember. Both of them took the stnce that it should be the citizens of Puerto Rico who have the final say in things, though they had different ways to go about it. Hillary seemed very inclined into letting Puerto Ricans vote for the US presidential elections, though she did not specify how she would achieve this. Obama has mentioned that he wants Puerto Rico to have valid representation in Congress. Hillary has promised to bring more health care and other aids that people in the states have. Obama in a way has promised the same thing, since he wants there to be equality between Puerto Rico and the different states.

As for popular vote, right now I'm unsure if either candidate is considerably ahead over the other. As things stand right now, it might be split very closely down the middle. Right now, I believe tht what's keeping Obama from achieving a landslide victory is the fact that he strted campaigning way too late here, with his efforts only being focused since about last week from what I've seen in the media, while Hillary has been coming here periodically for the past few months. Hell, even Bill Clinton came to campaign for his wife some months go. Still, right now things pretty much split down the middle.

Quote:

This is why I think she's looking for a Vice Presidential slot. There's nothing else to fight for. I'm not saying Obama wants her for his Vice President, but that's what she wants.

When interviewed in a local newspaper about the possibility of a vice-presidential position, Hillary flat out denied it, and that she's actively fighting for the nomination. Don't know how true this may be, but she sounded pretty darn sure she didn't want it...
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OK, so they've said that Puerto Ricans should decide their own fate when it comes to its relationship with the United States.

Have either of them said how they feel about Puerto Rico's relationship with the United States, or have they remained silent on the issue to avoid losing votes?

If Clinton were to say that she just wanted the VP slot, nobody would bother voting for her. I remember when Mike Huckabee said he'd stay in the race until the convention, or until a "clear nominee" emerged, even though John McCain was way ahead.

Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon May 26, 2008 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jowy Atreides wrote:
If Clinton were to say that she just wanted the VP slot, nobody would bother voting for her. I remember when Mike Huckabee said he'd stay in the race until the convention, or until a "clear nominee" emerged, even though John McCain was way ahead.

Although, technically, he sort of did, when he failed to make up any ground.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Have either of them said how they feel about Puerto Rico's relationship with the United States, or have they remained silent on the issue to avoid losing votes?

From what I've seen from both candidates in the media recently, they both want to give Puerto Rico the option to either be independent, become a state, or remain as some sort of Free Associated State, which is what we have now. I think both want to consult the people directly by way of referendum(not sure if that's what it's called in English). Hillary stated that she feels that it's rather anti-democratic that we do not get to vote for the President, and that she wishes to erradicate this sort of anti-democratic systems if she is elected. When asked what she thought about Puerto Rico's status as a colony, she just said that US law doesn't have the word colony on it. The reporter then retorted that International law does, but Hillary quickly deflected the question elsewhere. As for Obama, he just mentioned that he thinks some things are unfair regarding how stuff works between the US and Puerto Rico, like certain Health Care priviledges among other things, that he will work towards fixing these problems.

As for either clearly stating what they think of our current status, I doubt they ever will. Puerto Rico's population is pretty much divided equally between those who want to become a state of the union and those who want to keep the current system or something similar with more autonomy. The people who want independence accounts for about 2 to 4 percent of the population. Basically, stating they prefer Puerto Rico stay as it is or that they want it to become a state would pretty much lose them half the population's votes.
ClouD.

The Nameless

17244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not American but I actually would support Barack Obama, there are but a few things that make me doubt in him
a) he wants to stock up America's forces and wants the USA to become the military leader of the world.... this paired with America's doubtful method of waging wars actually REALLY makes me feel unwell
b) is he actually really standing up for more "democratic" measures in the USA, meaning the public will have more possibilities in influencing the politics of the USA or the single federal states?
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unless something major happened very recently, America is the military superpower. In Foreign Affairs he said that he wants to modernize the military, and didn't say much more on the issue.

Obama has said that he is more interested in diplomacy than war, and McCain has criticized him for saying that he would talk with (the new) Castro. So, if we do have a war under Obama, it would probably be multilateral instead of unilateral. However, he has said that he "would not take any option off the table," so who really knows?

If you want to see a truly 'democratic' candidate (democratic meaning someone supporting rule by the people, nothing to do with the political party), look no further than Mike Gravel, who recently quit politics when he wasn't able to get on the Libertarian ticket. He founded an organization that seeks to make ballot initiatives available at the federal level, so citizens can directly decide how their government is run, as long as enough signatures are gathered on said issue.

Whether or not states allow "more democracy" is really up to the states, for the most part.

Speaking of Libertarians, they recently decided on their candidates: Bob Barr for President, and Wayne Allen Root for Vice President. Interestingly enough, Bob Barr is in Borat (he takes some cheese from Borat, which Borat claims came from his mother's breasts).
ClouD.

The Nameless

17244 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is he atleast going to dissolve the Patriot Act and Guantanamo? Please don't get it wrong but still violenting the human rights 7 years after the events of 9/11 simply appears ridiculous to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 11 of 27

Jump to: