Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Japanese internet culture

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Japanese internet culture Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to give a short presentation on the title of this topic in my Japanese pop culture class in about a month. Unfortunately, I know nothing about it. I barely have a handle on aspects of American/English-speaking internet culture. It is a very broad topic, I know, but I can choose any part at all to speak about. It's entirely up to me. I figure I will ask the professor for direction at some point and will go searching on my own, but it never hurts to get other sources.

So, I was wondering if perhaps anyone here could help me out. Point out sites, articles, or just give whatever information you have that may be relevant to the topic. If it's Japan-related and involving the internet in some fashion, I'm game. Anything would help. And of course feel free to discuss it. If this turns into a discussion topic instead of a "help me with school" one, I don't mind.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

2channel pretty much is Japanese internet culture in one giant message board. It's worth mentioning in a report on the subject, I suppose. I probably know less that you on the topic matter, though, so I'm not the best person to offer help.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

dannychoo.com I believe is also very much about the Japanese internet culture (and just their culture in general). As far as MMORPGs go, all I know is that all Japanese seem to have an intrisic hatred for all koreans - if players of both nationalities are ever in a game together it usually means full scale wars. Then again a lot of MMOs are designed for that kind of thing.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I heard that BBC has a pretty informative TV series called Japanorama that covers everything about Japanese culture, including the internet culture. I haven't seen it, though, but it may be something good to check out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Splendid Monkey

Monkey`s Mad Marauders

96384 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry man. Even though Japan(ese) is supposed to be my 'specialty' I really can't offer you a lot of help in this. Did you have any say at all in what your topic would be?

this is a Japanese message board that I'm on even though I've hardly ever used it. Maybe it'd be worth checking out?
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Splendid Monkey wrote:
Did you have any say at all in what your topic would be?

Yes and no. The professor handed out a sign up sheet with several topics limited to two people each. However, due to seating arrangements, I was last to sign up so I had to either do something on manga and anime the next class or I could do this topic on March 20. We had done manga and anime to death (and are still beating that dead horse) so I went with this...and I was procrastinating. Within the realm of "Japanese internet culture" I can speak to anything I choose though.

Any and all input is welcome. It's an easy going class, so anything I do will be good enough, as long as I put a decent amount of time into it.

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For anyone interested, you can see my report at the link below. Part of our grade is not only the presentation, but that we post it on the class blog. I chose to go with a more in general view of the internet.

http://msupopjapan2008.wordpress.com/2008/04/01/internet-culture/

For anyone who wants to see what my classmates did, all reports are posted on the homepage.

http://msupopjapan2008.wordpress.com/

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
And just like Americans can be proficient at writing text messages and likely receive many of them, Japanese have an analogous relationship with emails. Some youth send and receive over 200 emails daily.

That's... scary. It's a nice read mate, did you get a nice grade? or at least a nice grade "part"?

And now I get why there's so much video game crap on cellphones over there.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Futch wrote:
It's a nice read mate, did you get a nice grade? or at least a nice grade "part"?

I would assume so, but I don't know and haven't asked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: