Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Kraalesque Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

MLB 2008

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: MLB 2008 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For all non-fantasy chatter, talk here.

So, I think with the kickoff of the new season, we fans should project how we think the season will go.

NL East:
I think the Braves will win the division. This should come as no surprise for anyone who knows me. Atlanta is clearly my favorite team. But this isn't just a pick based off my unheralded fanboyism. I really think they got the stuff to take the division. New York will probably lead it while Atlanta and Philadelphia chase and eventually overtake them by end of August where it will result in Atlanta winning and the Phillies taking second.

NL Central:
No contest, the only team here that looks good to me is the Chicago Cubs. They played well last year, and I don't see Houston, St. Louis or Milwaukee pulling out the division. And forget Pittsburgh. Second place will go to the Brewers most likely. They've got an average team and they might even have a winning record this year too.

NL West:
A lot of people have the Rockies but I'm going to stand up for the unsung Padres. The Dodgers get a lot of looks too, especially with Joe Torre now at the helm. But I think season one for Joe in LA will be decent but nothing spectacular. The Rockies might repeat, but I think the Padres, who almost won the division last year, is the real team to beat there. They've got one of the finest pitching staffs in the majors and their hitters, while not big names, do a decent job.

Wild Card:
Philadelphia, by quite a bit too.

AL East:
Boston Red Sox. Its no surprise here either. I like the BoSox and I hate the Yankees. I'll give NY its due and they'll finish second in the division, but not too close to Boston. Toronto will be a close third with Baltimore and Tampa Bay trailing behind. Tampa won't finish last though, which is a positive.

AL Central:
This is a tough division, but the Twins have dropped like a thick lead balloon (I saw the mythbusters where they actually made a balloon made of pure lead, it was fun) and the Royals never are good, so that leaves Detroit, Cleveland and Chicago. The White Sox are still managed by the powder keg Guillen, so he'll out manage himself. Cleveland looks good, but I think Detroit is just too good. They made a few great moves in the offseason and I think they're the only team who can compete with Boston for the pennant.

AL West:
This division is a waste of my time. The only good team out there, in my opinion, is Anaheim. A lot of people put their eggs in Seattle's basket this year but I don't see them being anything too special. Even if they do win the division, they're not making it past Detroit or Boston. But I think the Angels are the winners out west.

AL Wild Card:
I'll give this to the Cleveland Indians, just because of Yankee hate.

Playoffs:

Atlanta vs. Philadelphia:
Atlanta wins the division, but loses in the playoffs (It pains me to say this) because the Phillies have that spark that propels a team in the playoffs, the same one Colorado had.

Chicago vs. San Diego
Chicago tries to break the curse and go for the world series. San Diego falls because Chicago is just too damned good.

Boston Red Sox vs Cleveland Indians
Boston makes the playoffs look like a round of golf. Cleveland drops the ball and gives the series to Boston just like last year. Cleveland fans burn red socks in protest.

Anaheim vs. Detroit
Detroit walks all over the Angels. Brooms don't even give justice.

Philadelphia vs Chicago
The NL Pennant on the line, the curse poised to be broken. A ghost of Steve Bartman appears and the Cubs are again cursed to watch the World Series from their armchairs. Philadelphia moves on.

Boston vs Detroit
In an epic 7 game struggle the big boy Red Sox are soundly upset as the Tigers reclaim their pennant and advance to the World Series.

Detroit vs Philadelphia
This well matched series goes 5 games with the Tigers victorious, but three of the games were won with walk off homers leaving a very bad taste in the mouths of Philadelphia fans.

Cy Young Winners: Zambrano and C.C. Sabathia

MVP Award: Jimmy Rollins (again) and Miguel Cabrera (leaving Ortiz shaking his head again)

Most HRs: Prince Fielder

Biggest disappointment: Johan Santana wins only 13 games. Considering what they paid for him, this is a huge disappointment.

Biggest Surprise: The Yankees make a mid-season trade for Aaron Harang which is supposed to propel them into the playoffs. But it falls short.

Just some fun guesses.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it was recently stated on ESPN that Pedro Martinez will be out 4-6 weeks with his hamstring injury. This is a huge blow to the team because they really don't have a solid replacement. This isn't going to say the Mets will suck for the next month and a half, because they still have their other three top pitchers, Santana, Perez and Maine. But it really sucks to not have a guy like Pedro out there for you.

The Braves pulled off their first win of the season last night, finally. A huge explosion of runs later in the game sealed it as they finished the game 10-2. Chipper Jones has been solid thusfar this season which pleases me as a huge Braves fan. Also, I like the fact the top prospect Jair Jurrjens might actually pay off dividends. The Braves traded Edgar Renteria to the Tigers for Jair, a rookie pitcher who the scouts really touted as one of the possible next big things. If Jurrjens pans out to be an ace, the Braves might just take this division. Smoltz, Glavine, Jurrjens and Hampton? A lot relies on the oldies, but they still get the job done. With Glavine possibly in his last season, Smoltz is 40 and will only pitch another few years and Hampton has injury issues that may cut his career short so this might be Atlanta's only shot for a while. Speaking of Hampton, he's taking the mound tonight for the first time since 2005, and I'm stoked. If he's fully recuperated and back to his old stuff, the Braves are a formidable team.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's going to be a very long season for SF Giants fans everywhere. I do think we're overdue for a couple years of rebuilding. Now that Barry is not the main focal point of the team I think the next couple years will be essential in terms of drafting prospects and keeping them instead of trading them away for veteran players. Already this season has seen the largest number of under-30 players on the Giants roster. While I think some won't become anything more than role players I have good feelings about Cain and Lincecum continuing their development as two of the best young arms in the league. I also think one of their most touted prospects of the past couple years may just have a good breakout rookie year. I am talking about Merkin Valdez who was a 100+mph power pitcher before Tommy John surgery and even since then he's been able to his 97-99 consistently.

The team will need to lean on their pitching (which seems to be their major strenght this year) while they try and figure out who of their young hitters will develop into real talent. I think rookie 2nd base man Eugenio Velez is a keeper with his Jose Reyes-speed and his hitting is not too shabby either. His only drawback being his glove at 2nd. If he can just get to average level this season I think the Giants have their 2nd baseman for the next couple years once Durham leaves which I think will happen at the end of the season if not sooner.

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Giants are predicted to be the worst team in the NL, and almost as bad as the Orioles overall. Of course that is by ESPN analysts and they're by no means experts since they also projected Colorado to be out by a longshot last year. Well, Some did.

I think the Giants can rebuild quite fast. Cain and Lincecum are bigtime pitchers and I expect them to pick up more wins once the Giants solidify a lineup that can give run support. Velez does look like he's got potential and they picked up Aaron Rowand in the off season. We'll see how well Rowand does without Howard, Rollins and Utley batting around him. If he can hold his own, he might be a long term solution in center field. They are in need of some meat in their lineup though. Rowand isn't exactly a constant longball threat, although he has knocked his share. Its funny, the Giants who've had the best HR hitter for the last decade is now lacking in that department. If they, in the off season or by the Trade deadline, can get some power and help their saggy offense, they might be a decent team in the coming years. This year, they just need to work on pitching consistency. They also need to analyze whether its worth keeping Zito around, as he's not panned out to be what they wanted. This year is a key year for Zito to prove he wasn't a flash in the pan over in Oakland.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really don't mind if the Giants go through a couple years of rebuilding around their young pitching staff. The season is still young but Cain and Lincecum have shown that if they just had run support they'd be in the elite category in regards to young stud arms. Two other pitchers that have had some very good outings have been Merkin Valdez in long-relief and Jonathan Sanchez as their 4th starter. Valdez has shown he can work on short notice either as a spot-starter or middle-relief. Sanchez is a lefty who has shown a lot of potential in the past with a mid-to-high 90's fastball, low-90's slider and a change-up that's constantly improving.

His problem has always been control and the amount of walks he pitched. One had to look at this in perspective as he was always used in the past couple years as a middle-relief guy. Now that he's earned a spot in the starting rotation he has given the Giants two strong quality starts. The first against the Brewers he was roughed up but still struck out 8 in 5 innings. His second start against the Padres had hm throw six strong innings while striking out 10.

If Sanchez continues to give the Giants starts like those I can see him moving up in the rotation with Zito moving down to 4th. A starting top 3 rotation of Cain, Lincecum and Sanchez is as best a young starting rotation as any team out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: