Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

FF VII: Crisis Core PSP

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: FF VII: Crisis Core PSP Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't see a topic on just this game, as much as I hate to promote FF in anyway when its been very overrated while Suikoden is getting little love, I did pay to get this game after seeing the high reviews.

Never liked FF VII much as I'm about 2 hours in, so far it seems more of a <75% graded game like game informers had instead of a 85%+ game rated by gamespot & ign. Combat gets boring pretty fast, leveling is super weird, and if it wasn't for the fact the game plays more like kingdom hearts (another overrated square series I don't like) I'd say Dirge of Cerberus may be more fun to play.

I also hate the fact that you basically know going into the game that every key character in the game except Cloud (who is apparently not considered an important character) is going to die... if anything good may come out of me getting this game it would be that if & when I do finish this game, I may want to replay FFVII for the first time in 8 years, and if that happens I fully expect to not finishing it again but take enough out of the experience to say once and for all that "Suikoden II (and maybe V too) is way better than FFVII".
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Never liked FF VII

That's pretty weird that you would get a FF VII based game then.

I give this game somewhere between 8.0-9.0 like ign and gamespot so far. It's a pretty fun portable game.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A good game is a good game, I'm not saying FFVII was bad or anything, its just really overrated, this one got high ratings so far but it doesn't seem that great either.
Crimson_Angel

13285 Potch
60 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It does kinda suck that everyone is going to die,and you know it. But Crisis Core is probably meant to fill in some things that were previously unknown and left vague by the original Final Fantasy VII. I think it's probably more for the die hard fans since it gives helpful background to the original plot.

I haven't played it yet, but I hope it's better than Dirge of Cerberus :|. That one was a let down for me. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very good either. It kind of bored me. The movie Advent Children I loved though :mrgreen:.

Did you say you haven't played all of Final Fantasy VII? It's not really fair to judge it so harshly if you haven't. The plot is pure genius. IMHO anyway.

- Auron, Final Fantasy X

"I'm a warrior, not a variety of flower!"

- Vegeta, Dragonball Z
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm picking this up as soon as I get a PSP.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the fact that we know a lot of people are going to die in this game (especially the protagonist). This type of knowledge, to me, isn't like going online and spoiling yourself on a story, or flipping to the end of the book. Because of events in a different game, we're already aware of what is going to happen, even if we don't know the specifics. That gives it an air of tragedy, which is a refreshing change for me.

I've been playing the game, and I enjoy it very much. I like how the combat system is easy to pick up and use, but extremely customizable. In my opinion, though, the gameplay here plays second fiddle to the story, because its the story that will drive most fans to pick this game up. It does a good job of making it easy enough to blow through the game, but at the same time, offering challenges through sidequests for people who really want to get into the whole experience.

I also like the DMW system. Its an interesting and fun way to level up and perform limit breaks. I think that overall, for a game that is all about the story, it does enough to keep you interested from plot point to plot point as you hack your way through the action. If you enjoyed FFVII, than I'd pick up this game. If you didn't, than I wouldn't.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My friend has been playing this game lately. The graphics amaze me, especially for being a handheld.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

This type of knowledge, to me, isn't like going online and spoiling yourself on a story, or flipping to the end of the book.

Its not really about spoiling the story for me but it's just depressing, I was slightly depressed watching the new star wars movies because I know it's not going to end well, and this is worst in that way.

The game's graphics are very good, but it seems the level design is really lame and boring, almost every road is straight on a line or only slightly curved to lead to a more opened circular/rectangular large area for battles. I was more impressed by the animations of the enemies moving back and forth during battle, while some of them had long body parts (tails or things on their heads...) that swayed smoothly, it makes the action looks much livelier than most PSP games.
Chimei Star

Crescent Moon Gunners

112245 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The thing that I seemed to notice much from what I've seen is that a lot of Zack's animations are very similar, if not the same animations from Tidus in FFX. At least, the running and sheepish hand-behind-neck animations stood out the most like that, I think I recognised more.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I ordered this game awhile ago and it arrived yesterday (along with all 3 seasons of Arrested Development woo!) and I got to play a bit of it, enough to say that it's awesome. I especially like the music and the summon animations so far. I'll reserve judgment on the story and characters until I've played a bit further (though I've liked all the characters so far, especially Tseng, he has a cool limit and I liked his comment about getting payed more).

Anyway because the world currently seems to hate me all this awesomeness soon came to an end, I put my PSP in my pocket and when I took it out awhile later and turned it on it seemed the screen had cracked. :cry: I'll have to see if there's a local place that can replace the screen otherwise I'll have to wait days if I order a screen over the net.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know your pain, Hawk. PSPs are pretty darn delicate-- I had mine sitting on the bottom stair of my house (less than a foot from the ground) and when I went to pick it up, it slipped out of my hands, falling a foot at most on to the ground (tile) and the Square button cracked. Thankfully it's still fully functional, but I hate to think what may have happened had it dropped from a little higher.

This is definitely a game I'm going to pick up this weekend before I go traveling.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

6-7 hours in and I think I am pretty much worn out by the gameplay for now, it's just too much of the same thing, there's not enough freedom/choice of actions to make each battle exciting and not enough strategy/rpg elements to make the fights more interesting or worth getting into battles for. The story is interesting enough even for a non FFVII fan like myself, but as soon as a rpg becomes chunks of mediocre gameplay in between key events and always at just about the same pacing, I'm pretty much out on it.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When it becomes available I have one materia that you should use on the Shinra Training Mission involving 100 or higher (it goes 50, 100, 200, 1000) infantrymen against you (not all at once)...darkness Mastered and Cura. These will make the battle infinitely easier. Also equip anti-stop equipment and Anti-poison. At sniping minigame now.

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: