Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Opoona - An RPG for the Wii? Shenanigans!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Opoona - An RPG for the Wii? Shenanigans! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hello, folks. During my travels across these interwebs, I learn of strange and mysterious things. One of which is Koei's inexplicable (and wonderfully pleasing) choice to bring over their critically-acclaimed, commercially-panned Wii RPG, Opoona.

Developed by Arte Piazza (which is notable for its long history with the Dragon Quest series) and music by Hitoshi Sakimoto (of Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII fame), the game is a fairly traditional RPG released a few months ago in Japan. With the nunchuck being the sole means of control in the game, you utilize the Active Bon Bon Battle System to attack your enemies (the way you throw or pitch with the nunchuck influences the arc and range of the bon bon strike). The game is supposed to last anywhere between 15-40 hours (depending on how much you do), so it's a fairly meaty game to boot.

As for the story, you take control of a young boy and son of a Cosmo Guard named Opoona (shock!). While traveling across the stars with his family, they find themselves in danger when Opoona is knocked unconscious. Awaking in a hospital bed, he is unaware of the fate of his family and so decides to set off in search of them. Nothing groundbreaking, and I think the lighthearted nature that you see in Dragon Quest will be the major draw of the storyline.

What, want to see it in action? Fine! Not responsible for the quality, but here you go!

Gameplay trailer
Active Bon Bon Battle System
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah...I heard about this while looking around for upcoming RPGs as well...
It sounds kinda interesting (gameplay-wise) although honestly the character design sort of turns me off
[Reminds me of games like Dewey's Adventure etc..]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sounds like a perfect fit for the upcoming Nyko Wireless Nunchuk. I have heard good things about the Sakimoto-led score. Not his usual style, which is also fantastic in games like Vagrant Story, but more electronic music.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm down for this. Sounds interesting enough.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed. It'll be nice to give my Wii a good workout. I know it's going to be getting tooooons of use in the upcoming month from Brawl, it'll be nice to have a nice game that's a change of pace.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sami, the game's soundtrack seems pretty strong. Sakimoto's music is usually a little too... melodramatic for my tastes, but the stuff in Opoona is very silly in a lot of cases.

In case anyone wanted to learn more, here is a preview from IGN that details the gameplay, along with showing some English gameplay videos. I was wrong about the bon bon mechanics-- you use the analog to charge attacks and change trajectory and such; not the nunchuck itself. Good read!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: