Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Anon 1, Scientology 0
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Anon 1, Scientology 0 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For those of you who aren't aware, Anonymous called for a global protest against Scientology on 2/10. Up to 10,000 people showed up world-wide to protest in what was, for me at least, the greatest triumph of comedy over reason in modern times. Did anyone show up? Is anyone planning to go to the follow-up rally on 3/15? Did any of you hear about this in your local news? I'm curious and all giddy and delighted at the moment.

Edit: Check these out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HpiujNyXZg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BclRd-E9dTM

Last edited by Shad on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I stopped by the Melbraid but didn't participate since I didn't have time to, I'll be showing up to the proposed one in my town though.

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe when things have calmed down and I've sobered up a bit this won't wow me as much, but right now this article really blows my mind. Regardless of the cause, regardless of the effects, today 10,000 people rose in unison to a call that had no quantitative origin. Mass hysteria with purpose as the article calls it:

http://www.cydeweys.com/blog/2008/01/28/scientology-sac/
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What exactly is Scientology? I know it is supposed to be a "religion" created by a science fiction author, and that actors tend to embrace it, but other than that, nothing.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TruePerception wrote:
What exactly is Scientology? I know it is supposed to be a "religion" created by a science fiction author, and that actors tend to embrace it, but other than that, nothing.

My limited understanding of Scientology's beliefs is that they believe in reincarnation and that a large number of your ailments in life can be traced back to traumas in past lives. They believe that it is possible to heal yourself from such ailements through clearing your soul of the past traumas. Additionally upon reaching some of the higher levels, supposedly they are taught that in addition to the traumas from our past lives, we have souls of other beings that cling to our body(body thetans) that inhibit us further. Of course this is the part where their beliefs often begin to get ridiculed, as the supposed source of body thetans is an incident 75 million years ago where an alien dictator Xenu blew up billions of his people on Earth with H-bombs(keep in mind that this story is only taught to high level Scientologists so the Church of Scientology denies it). Of course the Xenu story, while often ridiculed, is not the source of most people's dislike of the organization.

The strong dislike of the church comes from many of its cult like practices, such as strongly encouraging members to cut off relations with non-members even family, or the fact that you have to pay obscene amounts of money simply to gain high levels of teaching. There are also accusations of brainwashing. Then there is the church's policy of "fair game" where they basically sanction the complete destruction of the lives of anyone who speaks out against them including incidents where they have tried to frame people for crimes never comitted, do massive numbers of frivilous lawsuits to basically drain all their money away with legal fees, or even blackmail. There have also been several deaths which people have claimed are connected to the church. This covers a lot of the more famous incidents regarding Scientology although it is a little old(warning there are some distrubing images in it).

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Arevus

The Reborn

314452 Potch
100 Soldiers
44 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This thread will probably have to be deleted, by the way.

Sup?
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mind explaining why?
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think he means because Scientology will find us and try to kill us. Or sue the site. Which won't happen, but we can laugh about it anyway.

Does anyone else get uncomfortable with all the scientology hate? Yes it's weird, suspect, lawsuit-loving, etc. but I don't feel comfortable bashing someone else's religion even when I do understand it, let alone when I have only vague general overview of it.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:

Does anyone else get uncomfortable with all the scientology hate? Yes it's weird, suspect, lawsuit-loving, etc. but I don't feel comfortable bashing someone else's religion even when I do understand it, let alone when I have only vague general overview of it.

There's also recorded evidence of it's creator, prior to it's creation, telling people that he's considering creating a religion to make money.

The fact that it's swept through the celebrity world isn't a big surprise. The creators set out to make those of higher social standing more valuable in the religion than people of lower social standing. Celebrities in it have extra benefits that others don't, which would logically make it more appealing than religions that promote equality for every believer in the end.

Now if people want to believe it, they're entitled to whatever religion they want, although I do find this whole scenario funny.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:

But at least we can all agree to hate the Mormons.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Amyral wrote:
There's also recorded evidence of it's creator, prior to it's creation, telling people that he's considering creating a religion to make money.

Ha! Where can I read/watch this?
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:

Ha! Where can I read/watch this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_controversies#L._Ron_Hubbard_a nd_starting_a_religion_for_money

Wikipedia compiles some sources on the matter.

The most damning of which is a letter the FBI got, basically saying that making it a religion wouldn't hurt and could make them more money.

Quote:
RE CLINIC, HAS

The arrangements that have been made seem a good temporary measure. On a longer look, however, something more equitable will have to be organized. I am not quite sure what we would call the place - probably not a clinic - but I am sure that it ought to be a company, independent of the HAS [the Hubbard Association of Scientologists] but fed by the HAS. We don't want a clinic. We want one in operation but not in name. Perhaps we could call it a Spiritual Guidance Center. Think up its name, will you. And we could put in nice desks and our boys in neat blue with diplomas on the walls and 1. knock psychotherapy into history and 2. make enough money to shine up my operating scope and 3. keep the HAS solvent. It is a problem of practical business. I await your reaction on the religion angle. In my opinion, we couldn't get worse public opinion than we have had or have less customers with what we've got to sell. A religious charter would be necessary in Pennsylvania or NJ to make it stick. But I sure could make it stick. We're treating the present time beingness, psychotherapy treats the past and the brain. And brother, that's religion, not mental science.

Best Regards,

Ron
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:
I think he means because Scientology will find us and try to kill us. Or sue the site. Which won't happen, but we can laugh about it anyway.

Haha, wow, my sense of humor completely abandoned me there.

Shrew wrote:

The general consensus was that we weren't protesting the religion but rather the church. Members get a tax-exempt monetary commission for converting people, there are fees of $500,000 and higher to be allowed access to some of the "religion"'s doctrine, and they've had substantial medical malpractice cases against them that were only dissolved because they're so rich they could pay off the individuals with claims out of court.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:

Uncomfortable no, worried yes.

As with any organisation which has the speculation of criminal activities and those opposing said organisations there is always a fine line between where simple peaceful protesting will turn ugly. I'm not uncomfortable with the amount of people who dislike or outright attempt to debunk Scientology since opinions are fickle thing if the individual doesn't desire to back them up, the worry for me which makes me uncomfortable is when an individual comes along who does desire to back up their opinion emphatically, and then we get trouble which impacts more than the parties involved.

This particular protest involving Chanology, from what I saw at the Melbraid was quite tame, simple chanting, pamphlets and signs, it's what could and probably will evolve from that which people should then be worried about.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:

scientology isn't free, to know it exists you must pay for it. shhh I can tell you secretes also. I have a paypal. how much do you want to pay me to channle the souls of a dinosaurs so i can tell you what they looked like?

----------

some of this stuff reminds me of other things, like clingers and pastlife trama, its not to new, wonder what happens of scientology finds out about otakukin, soulbonding and multiple personalities that are based off of fiction.

hmm.. the'd posslby try to purchace the idea.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: