Suikoden United and Infamous Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NFL Coaching Changes--Offseason 2008

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: NFL Coaching Changes--Offseason 2008 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I made this topic because of one coaching issue that I find to be pretty interesting, but since that is such a narrow topic I suppose I decided to widen it to coaching changes in general.

I guess I'll give an overview of the scene as it stand right now.

Vacancies

Baltimore Ravens: Baltimore fired their coach after a disasterous season in which the lowpoint was losing to the Dolphins, and the "high point" had to be standing toe to toe with the New England Patriots, but still losing. When your most memorable game of the season is one in which you lost, you kinda have to take a look at things. They have reportedly offered the job to Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.

Miami Dolphins: The Dolphins head coach was fired moreso because newly hired president of football operations Bill Parcells wanted to bring in his own guy, and not because of the Dolphins' 1-15 record. Many people think that Dallas Cowboys assistant head coach Tony Sparano will be offered the job, since Parcells was quite fond of him in Dallas and he is going in for his second interview in Miami.

Atlanta Falcons: Atlanta is obviously in the head coaching market after their previous head coach quit on them. And, since teams rarely keep their interim head coaches, they are looking for a new guy. Like Baltimore, its being reported that they have offered the job to Jason Garrett.

Washington Redskins: The Redskins didn't fire their coach. Instead, Hall of Famer Job Gibbs decided to retire for the second time, so now they're looking for his replacement. There are reports that the Redskins will interview former Falcons head guy Jim Mora, but I haven't heard anything else besided their defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. Maybe Geddoe knows more?

Will they or Won't they?

Seattle Seahawks: Mike Holmgren is once again contemplating retirement.

Indianapolis Colts: See above, but replace Holmgren with Tony Dungy.

What I really wanted to talk about.

The most interesting thing to me so far is the Jason Garrett situation. Jason Garrett has been offered the head coaching jobs in two cities. Also, Dallas owner Jerry Jones views him as Dallas' head coach of the future, and told Garrett that he'd match any offer given to him to be a head coach so that he would stay in Dallas to be the offensive coordinator(Source). Considering that this year was his first year as an offensive coordinator, and that he hasn't even been in the coaching profession for 5 years, I find it to be pretty amazing. This guy must have mind bullets or something.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll read up some more about this later, but just to quickly touch on Holmgren and Dungy, I can't see either of them retiring this year for the simple fact that both their teams have stellar shots at the Super Bowl next year - Holmgren especially.

Look at the big guns in the NFC. Dallas Cowboys. They might be losing two of their main assistant coaches. Green Bay. Will Favre retire after one last shot at the Super Bowl? You bet. Washington? New coach means a rough first year most likely. The entire NFC South is a joke, so that leaves The Giants, Philadelphia, and maybe San Francisco as the other NFC teams I expect to be pretty good next year. Seattle could be looking at another Super Bowl.

On Dungy's part, the guy's still pretty young, and you have to imagine there's no way the Pats can be this good two years in a row. If they fall back down in to being only the best team in the league and not the best team in footballdom, plus the Colts have Harrison back for a full season, I could see them taking the 2008 season just as soon as the Pats. There aren't many other close contenders.
Kai Ver' Xion

The Ebon Elite

356999 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just in. Dolphins hire Tony Sparano as their new head coach. And like Calvin said, not a surprising move as he has ties to Parcells.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It looks like Jason Garrett has been offered the Baltimore Ravens job. Ed Werter with ESPN has Garrett leaning 60-40 in taking the job. I actually think the Ravens are making a bad move in offering this job to Garrett. I know people in Dallas and Miami were pretty high on Jason Garrett as an up-and-coming coaching talent, but the playcalling he's done from December on has shown cracks in his "genius". While it looks like he probably end up being one of the more talented OC's in the league the fact that he only has one year experience calling in plays should be a red flag for any owner wanting to hire a new HC to lead his team.

If I was Baltimore I would just re-hire Rex Ryan as the HC and go after an offensive coordinator. If Garrett does take the job how will Rex Ryan take being passed over. He could easily get a DC job down at Miami which will surely run a 3-4 defense and Ryan has shown he has inherited some of his father's acumen for running a tough and fast defense. Another reason why the Ravens are fools to offer this job to Garrett is that the team doesn't have the personnel to make it easy for an inexperienced first-time head coach. It's easy to get labeled a real offensive coaching talent when one has Romo, TO, Witten, Barber and a solid O-line to run the plays, but anyone watching the Ravens all year knows that offense is barely average.

As for the other coaching storylines this offseason. I do think Holgrem will probably call it quits. The last couple years, despite the Seahawks making the playoffs, Holgrem doesn't seem to be enjoying the job. I can see him taking a couple years off to travel the world with his wife and coming back ready to be GM and/or Team President somewhere. I know that he's talked in the past of taking such a role with the Niners as his final stop. Next season won't be it, but if the Niners have another bad year I can see the Yorks just biting the bullet and reining in their egos to hire the one guy who still knows how the Niners should be run.

Dungy is another who I think can easily call it quits. He has always mentioned that he was never meant to be a "lifer" in the NFL and Dungy seems to have many other interests outside of football to occupy him. I also think he wants to spend more time with his kids and family. If he does stay then he has a team that will return most of its players back, but it won't guarantee that it will mean a return to the Super Bowl. If it wasn't for a lack of receivers in last year's AFC championship there's no doubt that Brady and the Pats would probably have played the Bears in last year's Super Bowl rather than the Colts.

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

you know who should be fired but won't?

Norv Turner. He's garbage... absolutely garbage. They beat the Titans... nothing special there. They beat the Colts... well, the refs helped out a lot. So did an injured Marvin Harrison. I saw nothing special that Norv did and would in fact say the Chargers won in spite of Norv.

The loss to the pats, well nobody was expecting different... and I would've been very surprised had they won. But, down 9, 7 minutes to go... and you punt? No faith in your offence? Man, Norv... you're garbage, but praise will be heaped on you as though you are something special.

Nobody wants to go to Atlanta. Atlanta tried desprately to get Kiffen (of the Tampa 2 fame, or the man who made Dungy look like a defencive genius) but that failed miserably. I've read they've contacted just about anyone and everyone but nothing.

The Tacks firing Norm Chow was kinda unfair. I thought he did okay with what he had since he didn't have much. Norm Chow's system wasn't power running but that's what he inherited, especially after all the injuries at wideout.

I wonder if Martz will end up anywhere. Imagine Martz as the HC of Baltimore!

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Mike Martz was hired by the 49ers as its offensive coordinator. I'm not fully sold on that hire but he's better than the last offensive coordinator we had in Jim Hostler. Though I would say that Hostler was thrown into the job at the last minute due to Norv Turner leaving the Niners at the 11th hour to take the Chargers job. And yes, I will agree with you fuji in that the Chargers won despite Turner.

I think Atlanta has been way too preoccupied in trying to land the big name coach instead of going after a coordinator. I know the Falcons are still talking to Pete Carroll about whether he wants the job or not, but with the Falcons hiring of Tom Dimitroff as GM I'd think Carroll will rather stay at USC where he pretty mucn controls everything about that football program. If Carroll does take the Falcons job it will not bode well for the current NCAA investigation of USC for the stuff that happened while Reggie Bush was there. If USC gets sanctioned then Carroll will most likely bolt for the NFL again.

I think right now the Falcons either have Carroll for the job or waiting for the Super Bowl to end so they can interview NY Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. My bet will be on the latter if the Falcons really have given Dimitroff GM powers. Dimitroff is a Belichik man and knows full well the best way to retool a team is through its defense and creating a power running game. The Falcons have good parts on defense and Spagnuolo as a defensive oriented coach would go with a power-running offense until the talent can be drafted to allow for a pasing game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: