Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Merry Christ- er, happy holidays. Thoughts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. If you're a Christian, would you be offended if you had to wish people happy holidays instead of 'Merry Christmas'?

With the key word being "had" implying that it was a requirement for the religion I would be miffed that it was altered to a uniform saying instead of what the individual would want to say. Then again as I am not religious this level of conformity might not be an issue to others considering the entire basis of a religious viewpoint when looking from the outside.

2. If you're not Christian and you don't celebrate Christmas, would you be offended if someone wished you 'Merry Christmas'?

Not at all. Christmas has varying reasons for varying people in varying cultures, so to be miffed that someone decided to say Merry Christmas to me instead of Happy Holidays would be moronic and petty. Hell, usually I settle for a simple "yeah have a good week and shit" in place of the festive cheers to carry the same damn meaning.

3. Is there any of this controversy at your area (e.g. people saying 'Happy holidays' to avoid trouble)?

Not this controversy, but since I actually saw some stores and chains trying to enforce the bullshit that is Santa cannot say "ho ho ho" and instead have to say "ha ha ha" the amount of political correctness and pig headed family / Christian groups (I do need to apologise to those of said religion if any of this offends from the vast minority of the extremists) that they should be publicly lynched for their blatant disregard of the entire damn spirit of the occasion, and it would semi worth it to be brought up on assault charges for beating the shit out of them if the opportunity arose.

Do people really feel the need to whine and moan because certain events do not cater to their beliefs when those same people then turn around and scream bloody murder when the adverse is in effect.

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. If you're a Christian, would you be offended if you had to wish people happy holidays instead of 'Merry Christmas'?

I think it's pretty dumb that people get offended over a simple Merry Christmas. Hell, I think it's dumb if someone gets offended because someone else is wishing them well.

2. If you're not Christian and you don't celebrate Christmas, would you be offended if someone wished you 'Merry Christmas'?

No. Though I am Christian, I don't think I'd have any problems were I not. I celebrated Hannukkah this year, and I'm not Jewish, and I was fine with people wishing me a Happy Hannukkah. Nobody has ever wished me a Happy Kwanzaa . . . and that kinda makes me sad.

3. Is there any of this controversy at your area (e.g. people saying 'Happy holidays' to avoid trouble)?

Don't most people just say Happy Holidays anyway? Where I work, actually, people usually say Merry Christmas to me, seeing as how the restaurant currently is sporting a big honkin' Christmas tree.
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not Christian yet I am still offended that the true meaning behind this holiday has changed completely. I hate that it has become so commercialized. I am Muslim and if one of our religious holidays had another celebration behind it, fine. For instance, we celebrate Eid... which is a religious holiday but we get gifts on Eid holidays, it doesn't mean that the original purpose behind the holiday should be forgotten.

Absolutely not. My non-Muslim friends always wish me on Eid and other Islamic holidays and I wish the same to them as well. It's about including others into your joyous times not excluding anybody.

I honestly do not care. Despite not being Christian, I will still say Merry Christmas. My utmost respect goes out to the people who celebrate this holiday traditionally, not modernly.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gaara wrote:

Absolutely not. My non-Muslim friends always wish me on Eid and other Islamic holidays and I wish the same to them as well. It's about including others into your joyous times not excluding anybody.

That's a very good point! If only more people could see it that way!

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First off, LOL @ Mr. Geddoe and Geddoe having two posts next to each other.

Next, well, I know I'm late for the occasion, but allow me to answer the questions imposed by Lady Luceit.

- I would not be overly offended, but I would find it irritating how I have to conform with stuffs like these. In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wishing others a Merry Christmas, may they be a Christian or not. However, I could understand where other religions come from, and how they could be offended by it, so I try to avoid it as much as possible... at least I think I do.

- I have actually been there. At some point, I discarded my religion (VERY bad, I know, but don't tell anyone!) and did not celebrate Christmas (though I still asked for gifts lol), and I did not take any offense with anybody wishing me a Merry Christmas. I mean, I usually did not greet them back, or just said "Yeah, you too", but I was not offended. It's a state of mind. I find it stupid to be offended by that simple greeting. It's just a state of mind. If you do not take offense, you would not be offended. If you do, then you do, eh?

- At our area, not really. I live in a predominantly Christian (moreso Catholic) community, so there does not have to be any controversy about "Merry Christmas" here. I think most non-Catholic religions here are classified under Christianity still so there are no problems with it. I don't know about our non-Christian areas at the south though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: