Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Student sues teacher over religious remarks.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He seems like an amusing guy. We have a very libertarian conservative physics teacher at my school who pretty openly expresses his point of view on many political matters. So this is hardly an isolated case. If the person's viewpoint offends you, ignore it-- it's that simple. No need to get huffy over something like this.

I find it pretty amusing how he continually brings up Sweden. I wonder if he';s secretly Swedish?

On the whole he seems like an amusing person, even if some of his comments may have been offensive to a few individuals, I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Another case with people attempting to force others to be overly politically correct. :|

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Timbo, honestly--just so my standpoint is clear, here XD--I would have had just as much problem with your teacher's sort of things as I would have with this teacher we're discussing now. :roll:

I guess I just wish people would be a) a little less willing to be offended and insulted (for all we know the guy could have been making a sort of joke out of the whole thing and it just got twisted out of shape and blown out of proportion by one huffy kid, or not. I wasn't there, so I can't say.). It may have been inappropriate, but it wasn't worth destroying this guy's life over.
And then B) that people would be a little more mindful of other people and what they believe and feel. It was a rude statement and not the sort a polite person would make.

I guess there should just be a little more respect all around. :/

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, no. This case is just a Christian reaction to irreligious attacks on religion in school. Since stuff like the pledge and school prayer are heavily criticized, the parents are taking the opportunity to use the situation to complain about the opposing side. Hence why it's a suit and not the reasonable formal complaint to the teacher.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whoops! My edit got buried. To long winded, I guess. HH, my last post has a reply to you're comments right before it.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, sorry! Went back and read it. :)

See, that sort of reaction is SO much more sensible. But yes, this probably IS just a case of somebody looking for any excuse to sue someone.
I've been pretty close to a case myself that included a teacher who had been WRONGLY accused and they lost the suit--it really was a tragedy. This teacher is really a great person and now he can't get a job anywhere because of a spurious charge that a selfish student pinned to him. He's ruined financially and his character is slandered.

It's SO not worth it, but...what can you do? I mean, the very laws that allow this man to say what he wishes allow these people to sue him, so I guess that's one of the costs of such freedoms.

((I'm considering a lawsuit myself at the moment and the thing that's really holding me back is the fact that I don't want people to look at me and think that I'm the same sort of sue-happy moron, even though my case is wholly legit.))

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just weigh the pros and cons against the potential reward. Most people will tell you to sue if you have a legitimate reason, but it's not always worth it, and it just might be that, like your teacher friend, you cannot win.

Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Reading up on the context of the things Corbett said, I'm very much inclined to think that this kid and his parents are just in for the money. There's really not much of an excuse for Chad to sue Corbett for his 'Jesus glasses' remark in this case, assuming that Corbett did indeed relate this comment entirely to his lesson. From that one part where Farnan talked about his mother expressing worry that her son was questioning whether America was founded on Christian values, I'd have to say that they remind me more of fundamentalists trying to make a point than a family who's really concerned about rights and what not.

Quote:

For the topic at hand, I don't think there's really anything to sue over. The tenet states a government entity cannot establish (ie: force worship) of any particular religion. It doesn't mean they cannot discuss it. If it meant so, then the first amendment would be rather useless.

Agreed. Although the charge was pressed against Corbett because he was a government servant and therefore supposed to be restricted from making remarks that either support or disparage religion, I argued that neither the government nor the school itself would have endorsed such things so the suit was null. Even in the worse case, Corbett would have been expressing his personal views and I don't think that violates the establishment clause of the First Amendment.

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So wait a second, by "law" since he's a teacher he needs to be censored in what he can or cannot comment on, yet also by law he's allowed to comment on whatever the hell he wants. Which overrides which and who decides when free speech becomes a public servant pissing off religious people?

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Honestly, the only thing the First Amendment says about the establishment of religion is that the government cannot support or attack religion. But like I said, this part is pointless in this case because:
a) Corbett wasn't endorsing the view of the government; he was saying it in relation to his lesson and honestly, what person who knows about Christianity in the Dark Ages would say that life then was a fairy tale?
b) Assuming that he really meant it, it's still his opinion and not that of the government.

I don't know exactly how a person sues his or her teacher for making anti-religious remarks because of their own opinions (granted that people assert that Corbett is not an atheist and he even taught a Christianity-related class before, it's unlikely), but using the First Amendment to justify the lawsuit is a silly move in my opinion.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not quite. All the first amendment says is that the government can neither

a) establish a religion. This applies to both state and federal government.

b) create laws prohibiting the practice of a religion.

It doesn't say they can't support or attack religion, it says that they cannot make policies doing so. If the teacher graded people based on their religion, it'd be one thing. But the first amendment says grants him free speech, so he technically can do what he did. It's not really a contradiction.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
a) Corbett wasn't endorsing the view of the government; he was saying it in relation to his lesson and honestly, what person who knows about Christianity in the Dark Ages would say that life then was a fairy tale?
b) Assuming that he really meant it, it's still his opinion and not that of the government.

Not everything he said about religion was relevant to a lesson. I mean, he talks about correlations of going to church and committing crime on two different occasions.

His comments about conservatives just wanting to control women and keep them in the kitchen seems inappropriate for a European history class.

I said this before, but I don't think they really have a case for sueing him, but I think they could get him fired for his comments. Most of them are completely irrelevant to the class and it shows an inablilty to do the job by the professor. I don't know if they'd win that case, but they'd have a better chance than sueing.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Timbo wrote:
Quote:

Not everything he said about religion was relevant to a lesson. I mean, he talks about correlations of going to church and committing crime on two different occasions.

His comments about conservatives just wanting to control women and keep them in the kitchen seems inappropriate for a European history class.

I said this before, but I don't think they really have a case for sueing him, but I think they could get him fired for his comments. Most of them are completely irrelevant to the class and it shows an inablilty to do the job by the professor. I don't know if they'd win that case, but they'd have a better chance than sueing.

The teacher apparently has a pass rate above the state average.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Much can be said for offering students the freedom of alternate viewpoints. It allows them to think things through for themselves. That would seem to be supported by his higher than normal pass rate, though we don't know how his students are performing in other classes, so it might just be low grading standard. I would think not, though, since, atleat when I was back in school and considering that was a poor school and not middle class or above like the article says, teachers are checked every so often to make sure their curriculum is up to par.

Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I probably should have reworded what I said to say that it could have been used as evidence to show an inability to teach. But, if the students are still learning, then they'd definitely lose that case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: