Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Writing a Screenplay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Writing a Screenplay Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So for an school project, I'm put into a group and we're suppose to create a movie relating to a book we're reading called The Joy Luck Club. Basically it's about the strong relationship between a mother and daughter.

In my group, I was chosen to be the writer. My teacher expects a screenplay along with the movie. My problem is that I’ve never had any experience writing anything like this before and I was wonder if someone could shed wisdom and or give me ideas of what to write about.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rowler Majuka

Crimson Knights

3000 Potch
0 Soldiers
122304 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ive done a few things like this before, for school too. But can you elaborate a bit? Like, how long is it supposed to be, what's the story like, do you have to include camera angles and the such in your screenplay, or can you go without it? Stuff like that XD
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Basically it's just a written summary of the production as a whole, describing not only what each person is saying but what they are also expected to do within the scenes you're writing. So, for instance if you have a character taking something out of his pocket you'd write that the character did it, what he took out, what he does with it and so on, if said character then doesn't remain in the scene you would denote that he exists the scene.

It's much like reading any of Shakespeare's plays in a sense of how to write it.

I doubt you'd have to go into too much detail with things if there are actual plans to play out the scenario.

Crimson Knights

3000 Potch
0 Soldiers
122304 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, well i've done a few versions, those with actions and those without.

There are some small things you can most likely cut out, like some of the uninteresting parts. What you should do is try to capitalize on any action or drama in the book, since this makes an exciting movie.

And i would recommend either reading up on a bit of Shakespeare(thanks for the reminder of Shakespeare eX) to see how it works a bit, or ask someone to write up a sample page one of some book you know already. Or both. Too much help is always better than too little ^^
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rowler Majuka wrote:
Ive done a few things like this before, for school too. But can you elaborate a bit? Like, how long is it supposed to be, what's the story like, do you have to include camera angles and the such in your screenplay, or can you go without it? Stuff like that XD

Well it can be about anything as long as it incorporates the book in some way. Since the books theme is mainly about immigration and settling in a new home and the strong bound between a mother and a daughter, I want to include a theme around that ballpark.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.

Last edited by Jorge Prima on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:03 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rowler Majuka

Crimson Knights

3000 Potch
0 Soldiers
122304 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That would help. How long is the book might i ask? As in how many pages.
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Look! Screenplays! http://www.script-o-rama.com/

That site has a bunch of sample screenplays. It's basically your script, but you also need to write down the images and actions. In this case, it is NOT like a Shakespeare play, like Fly said.

A play (as in theater) reads something like this:
HAMLET
And now let us drink (Picks up goblet) to shrewdom (Throws the goblet at Shrew)

A screenplay looks something like this:
INT. Shrew's Throne Room
HAMLET stands before Shrew, looking at the floor. As he speaks he raises the cup to his lips, hesitating for a moment.

HAMLET
And now let us drink to shrewdom

HAMLET throws the cup at Shrew. It hits the ground before Shrew, a dark red puddle growing as the fragments bounce off the floor.

In other words, a screenplay needs to describe images. Since this is a class project (high school?) and not a screenwriting class, you don't need to be too detailed. You could probably just submit the dialogue and it'd be fine.

But check out that site for examples of how it looks.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rowler Majuka

Crimson Knights

3000 Potch
0 Soldiers
122304 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You should also check with your teacher/instructor/proffesor about what you should and shouldnt put in. Best advice ever XD
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With a screenplay, that which isn't said is just as important as the dialogue. Basically, everything has to gel. For example, someone could have written the best dialogue on the planet with the most confusing stage directions ever.

SALLY

No! Get away from me!I will always love Steve!

Sally runs away and is seen conversing casually with Carl.

Uh...how'd she get over there and what is the purpose? Still, I doubt your teacher is a part of the Screen Actors Guild, so I bet (s) he'll be pretty supportive. Google the Chasing Amy screenplay. For whatever reason, it is just chilling online. Hope that helps and remember to have fun with it!

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: