Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

FFX-2 (Spoilers, if you haven't played it)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

St. Ajora says:
Quote:
As for the new...non-clothes thing, well, that originally put me off. I thought FFX-2 was going to be stupid and all about flaunting the looks and whatnot, and even though with outfits like Rikku's thief (HORRIBLE), I didn't really mind since their personalities were the same. They may have looked a bit scandalous, but Yuna was still shy and hesitant, and Rikku was still cutey in your face wanna have fun girl. Their personalities justified the lack of clothes which wasn't all that bad. Now given, some of the dress spheres just looked atrocious (who designed them anyway...?) but nothing like a lot of the comments I had heard about how "slutty" the game was.

I liked the dreespheres, especially Yuna in the White Mage, paine as the Black mage and Rikku as lady Luck.

And for all that was made of the game, it should have been alot 'sluttier', I mean, come on!

And what happened to the script writers from past FF games? "Oh poopie"? what the hell is that?

Overall, I was disappointed with the game. Some elements I liked, such as the Dressphere system and a few new characters (Nooj and Gippal = roq).

However, the story was far inferior that that of X, Brother stunk up the joint with his...filibustering, Paine wasn't the cool chick she was made out to be, and the last boss battle was so easy my 4 year old cousin beat it.

I came out of the whole expereience with new respect for Yuna, though. I thought that in X she was far too weak to be a female lead (and she was), but in X-2 she is a tough chick who speaks up more and in a louder voice. Much respects.

Elc says:
Quote:
I... uh, how do I put this diplomatically? I didn't like it. I was looking forward to it after having played the demo, particularly since Bahamut made an appearance, and he's my all-time favourite Aeon. When I actually played (part of) the finished game, it seemed to share almost nothing from Eternal Calm, which really acted as a set-up for the game. It leaves me wondering how Yuna and Rikku deciding to search for Tidus (to find out if it is really him she saw in the sphere) suddenly had them become Sphere Hunters.

Another big letdown. I know at the end of X, All of the Aeons were sent, and therefore gone forever, but X raised the bar for the series in terms of summons. No other game has as many cool summons. My favorites were Shiva, Anima and Ixion. Bahamut was in his top form in FFVII, as BahamutZero IMO.

Harukaze says:
Quote:
I'd think the idea of looking for spheres - especially those containing additional as to "his" whereabouts [why for the love of God couldn't they say his name? They said it in Kingdom Hearts!!!] - seemed pretty logical to me. The rival spherehunter storyline hurt - LOTS - but I think you didn't give the game a proper chance. Actually the story is -amazingly- deep, if you only just get far enough into it.

I liked how they used the spheres for some continuity (although what is X-2 but a big, pile of X continuity?), since you had to get all of the spheres in X for Auron's top overdrive, but I agree that LeBlanc and her henchmen were super lame. They brought down the story, and served no purpose. They even get smashed by the final boss easily and you have to come to save them. More of a burden than a help, and the worst re-curring boss character since FFVI's Ultros.

So overall, although the game has some good points (Dressphere system, 2 sweet characters, yuna finally acting like a female lead, etc,.), they were bogged down by alot of the glaring faults the game had, most notable Brother, the story and the pathetic last boss. Shuyin was a woman.
kagematsuri

Cannon Fodder

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Hot Ice wrote:
I came out of the whole expereience with new respect for Yuna, though. I thought that in X she was far too weak to be a female lead (and she was), but in X-2 she is a tough chick who speaks up more and in a louder voice. Much respects.

I agree. Just hearing Yuna tell Nooj his plan sucked made the whole game worthwhile for me. I mean, a FF lead female actually disagreed with someone! Hell must be freezing over too!
Jurhael

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This was one of those games where I planned to play, beat and then trade.

I never did that. This is one of those games that is certainly flawed(I think the story could have been a little better and I think other characters should have gotten more spotlight), but it's very enjoyable.

It turned out to be a keeper when I never thought it would be. Sure, characters like Baralai and Isaaru assisted in my opinion, but they weren't the only reason. I wanted to dissect this game to death because I felt there should be more to it than cute little mini-games.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't get why alot of people didn't like this game. Sure, all the playable characters were women, but does that matter? I actually enjoyed it. I enjoyed it more then I enjoyed most other Final Fantasy games, as a matter of fact this is possibly the first Final Fantasy game that is not overrated like certain other games *cough cough Final Fantasy VII* and the fact that there are not as many people online talking about "Final Fantasy X-2 owns you" as there are people dressing up like Cloud and changing their names to Cloud Strife, or any other name from that game...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Ayreon

Universal Migrators

7311 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay so you are saying that FFX-2 is better than FFVII???????Because i disagree completely.I mean i played both games and i finished them,with all the secrets and all the endings and blah blah blah.......----im not saying that FFX-2 sucks or anything but FFVII is way better in many reasons.Oh and by the way im not a FF7 fanboy,this is just my humble opinion.

''Sail away to Avalon.......''
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

^^^
I'll now show you how not to come off as one.

FFVII is better than FFX2 is the following areas:

1) Music - One Winged Angel, Aeris, The Nightmare Begins, Shinra theme, World Map...All FFX2 had that I liked was Real Emotion. FFVII's music was a high water mark for the series, but they still keep it at a pretty high level. X2 seemed too 'poppy' for me.

2) Characters - Again, I love Yuna, and a few characters I mentioned before (like Nooj and Gippal...Baralai was 'meh'). However, in FFVII I liked all of the characters except Cait Sith...that means conflicted Cloud, repressed Tifa, beautiful Aeris (see Avatar), dark Vincent, mischevous Yuffie, profane Barret, badass Cid, mysterious Sephiroth, the Turks and the Shinra Baddies rounding it out. Quite the assembly of memorable characters they put in FFVII. All had a use in my game somehow, although my final party was Cloud, Yuiffie and Cid.

3) Story - Very similar in ways, both stories of the protagonist finding themself, although they are told very differently. VII is through the eyes of Cloud as his team tries to Catch Sephiroth before he can kill Aeris (oops!) and summon meteor (double oops!). X2 is a love story of Yuna trying to find her lost wussy man...er, I mean, Tidus. She also finds herself, and like Cloud by the end of VII is completely morphed as a character.

4) Replay Value - Basically this one is all about what you prefer: X2's New Game + Feature or being able to Go back in VII and master all of your materia, beat the WEAPONS, get all of the ultimate weapons and lv. 4 Limit Breaks and so on. I personally perfer sidequests to doing the same thing twice, but it just being easier because of your padded stats.

5) Battle/Level/Magic System - The biggest thing I look for in a battle/level/maigc system is customization. VII, X2 and X had the most customizable level and magic system, although I think that S-E needed to bring the Sphere Grid back for X2, man that was awesome (anyone else have Yuna doing 45,000 HP damage with attacks?). The dressphere system is also very customizable and aesthetically pleasing, but it doesn't allow for as many options as the Materia system, where some weapons and armor have 4 or 5 sets of joined slots or more each.
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I don't get why alot of people didn't like this game.

Well, there are many reasons why people didn't like this game. Here are the reasons why:

1. The character dialogue is cheesy and 'girly'. It's like playing a Charlie's Angels version of Final Fantasy. The whole deal with LeBlanc, in my opinion, is childish, further showing that this game is meant to be played by girls only.

2. There's also no branching storylines in the game. You only get to pick whether you want to support New Yevon or the Youth League. And even after that, you eventually have to go through the same scenes, same dialogue and same ultimate goal-which is to vanquish Vegnagun. Even though there are different endings, it would be pretty boring to go through the same dialogue and story everytime you want to play the game. I didn't replay the game.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Some elements I liked, such as the Dressphere system and a few new characters (Nooj and Gippal = roq).

I totally agree there. Well, not about Nooj. Barelai and Gippal. Well mostly just Gippal. he was slammin

Quote:
However, the story was far inferior that that of X, Brother stunk up the joint with his...filibustering, Paine wasn't the cool chick she was made out to be, and the last boss battle was so easy my 4 year old cousin beat it.

brother was annoying. Couldn't stand him. He must be socially retarded or something. And the accent? Funny, but it just made you want to strangle him after like, 10 minutes. And dude, asking Yuna to dance for you? You're related!

I thought Paine was alright. She wasn't as attached as other female rpg mysteries, because I remember her doing high fives and silly little "let's go get 'im!" rituals with Rikku and Paine, so that was cool. She was Paine, but she wasn't totally heartless. In the end, she came off as this week, vulnerable girl who witnessed a horrific event and was doing her part to make up for it. So I thought her Female Auron act was basically...well an act. It's nice to see them crumble somtimes.

Yes, the last boss was incredibly easy. I can name at least two bosses that were way more difficult than that thing.

Quote:
Another big letdown. I know at the end of X, All of the Aeons were sent, and therefore gone forever, but X raised the bar for the series in terms of summons. No other game has as many cool summons. My favorites were Shiva, Anima and Ixion. Bahamut was in his top form in FFVII, as BahamutZero IMO

I liked how they came back in FFX-2. I felt a bit remorseful and hesitant facing Bahamut again, and it just raised an air of familiarity for me. Like these were your saviours in the last game, and now Yuna has to face them again as an enemy...almost as if she were killing them out of kindness. Which was the case.

Quote:
but I agree that LeBlanc and her henchmen were super lame. They brought down the story, and served no purpose

Every game needs a faux villain. Someone to occupy them until our heros realize, we need to save the world! And that was Leblanc's purpose. Just to be the annoying, whiny villain until Yuna realized she needed to save the world. I loved fighting Leblanc (because Logos' voice just made me giggle) and I liked how they actually joined forces with Yuna...which didn't really make a difference to your quest, but I just enjoyed it. Pseudo evil villains turned puppies. Love it.

Quote:
most of the time it was happy go lucky which in my opinion doesn't feel right for a rpg
their world was still kind of the same

That's what a lot of people have to complain about. But who cares? It defied normal rpg rules- and is still popular. Why can't we have more optimism in rpgs? Would it kill us not to be wallowing in pity, suffering and heartbreak? I think not. Harsh conditions and pain just keep us hooked and allow us to feel for the world, the character. But it's refreshing to just do away with that sometimes.

Quote:
The plot simply seemed so insipid. The characters had no flow together with the exception of Paine and Rikku, their relationship was actually not bad. I fell in love with Final Fantasy because of its great plots and characters. Though that's now in question after the orignal FFX, with FFX-2 it's almost questionable whether Square-Enix can produce a game created for anyone but the casual gamer, who doesn't know a great plot from a hole in the ground

See it seems like most people, who don't like it, feel that way because they may be conditioned. After playing other FF games, why would you take a liking to FFX-2, the black sheep of the series? it's just that we're use to such a different atmosphere, music, characters, among other things. The plot wasn't bad at all- it just wasn't complex, nor heartbreaking, which all of the other FF's were. It was a simple, romantic love story, following the likes of a tragic girl who had a tragic, and very mellow life and tried to rise above that, and her past beau. Oh and by the way, saves the world again. There's nothing more to it than that. I don't see why people try to look deeper and find things that aren't there. it's right in front of you, which many aren't use to. And that's okay. We all need a break from the melodrama- well at least, I did.

Quote:
I'm definetly not beating it again. Someone in here said they downloaded the perfect ending. That's exactly what I'm doing!

You only get one non-FMV scene, so it's really not worth it anyway. But it's kind of sweet, if you're quite attuned to the Yuna-Tidus relationship like I was.

Quote:
Okay so you are saying that FFX-2 is better than FFVII???????Because i disagree completely.I mean i played both games and i finished them,with all the secrets and all the endings and blah blah blah.......----im not saying that FFX-2 sucks or anything but FFVII is way better in many reasons.Oh and by the way im not a FF7 fanboy,this is just my humble opinion.

Well you're comparing apples and oranges. In my opinion, they can't be compared. They are extreme opposites.

Quote:
Characters - Again, I love Yuna, and a few characters I mentioned before (like Nooj and Gippal...Baralai was 'meh'). However, in FFVII I liked all of the characters except Cait Sith...that means conflicted Cloud, repressed Tifa, beautiful Aeris (see Avatar), dark Vincent, mischevous Yuffie, profane Barret, badass Cid, mysterious Sephiroth, the Turks and the Shinra Baddies rounding it out. Quite the assembly of memorable characters they put in FFVII. All had a use in my game somehow, although my final party was Cloud, Yuiffie and Cid

I disagree. FF7's characters were totally flat, except for Cloud, and maybe Tifa and Cid. They all did the same thing. We're given insight to each one's background, but there's no evolution other than that. Aeris was just weak flower I'm-really-special-but-I-wont-tell-you-why girl, Barret was the guilt tripped token black guy, Vincent was man of mystery, but his character was just wasted aside from a few cut scenes. Yuffie did nothing at all in terms of character greatness- she was just there. Same as Cait Sith. We're only treated to Reeve's conscience attacks once in awhile, and they have nothing to do with the actual cat. But that's cool, because that worked in that case- CS wasn't suppose to be that human greatness- its character was with Reeve, who had so much to offer. Red 13 was the same throughout the game except for the trip to his hometown- we are offered a view of the young and naive Nanami, whom he does not seem to be anywhere's else in the game.

If it weren't for Cloud, Tifa would have nothing to do. She's just Miss Kick Ass for no special reason. Just there. Nothing to offer, but to be Cloud's nurse, and carries the torch for him. Not interesting.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I totally agree there. Well, not about Nooj. Barelai and Gippal. Well mostly just Gippal. he was slammin

To quote him
Gippal-"Nope.."
YRP-"Huh?"
Gippal-"The people of Spira have to learn to stand on their own...."

Shuyin *DHA tears his face* was nearly a complete letdown, his only cool scene was the Cinematic in the Den of Woe (gotta dig the tight piano music!!)

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Jurhael

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The whole deal with LeBlanc, in my opinion, is childish, further showing that this game is meant to be played by girls only.

I seriously doubt that given how scantily clad the female characters were. I didn't see anything really "girly" in the game at all, except for the romance, but that's in a lot of games and I don't hear anyone calling those games 'girly'. FFX-2 was meant to be more 'lighthearted'. Nothing 'girly' about that.

Either way, the game was considered 'fan service', but I seriously doubt that female gamers were in mind for this game. Unless, you cound Baralai and Gippal, but bishounen are everywhere too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: