Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dungeons & Dragons - Suikoden Campaign Setting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Dungeons & Dragons - Suikoden Campaign Setting Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been looking on Suikoden sites for quite a while on my quest to make a suitable D&D Campaign Setting for Suikoden. I've really been amazed at the amount of info out there, and I must say that this site is quite the treasure trove when it comes to info :D

With that being said, I was curious as to any opinions or ideas regarding this topic. I've already posted some of them at the Suikoden II GameFAQs board Click here for a link: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=22835&page=0

You can check there to see some of them, if you guys are interested. Sorry about not having a website to post anything to, but feel free to give opinions and ideas, positive or negative about this.

On a side note, I was interested in joining the Highland Kingdom. This has nothing to do with the topic that I'm posting, and I appologize ahead of time if this violates any of the forum rules (This is my first post).

Anyway, thanks a lot for any feedback! 8)
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It seems like a cool idea, exactly how far have you got with it?

I kinda lost interest in all that stuff when 3ed came out, give me my old familiar 2ed anyday!

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I've gotten modifiers down for races, and a general idea of what classes and prestige classes that I wanted to incorporate. I posted many ideas that you can check out by clicking the link on my first post and clicking the topic "Dungeons & Dragons - Suikoden Campaign Setting"

Or to make it even easier, you can click here (If this link works)

Btw.... My GameFAQs account name is BlueLitFlik :D

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=22835&topic=18513 632

Since I'm rather new here, I don't think it's a great idea to copy everything I've already written down on GameFAQs to this forum... Maybe if there's some interest in the idea, I might post a homepage at yahoo, or something like that.

However, if you have anything you'd like to add (Or anyone else for that matter) please feel free to do so! I'd appreciate any comments, positive or negative! :D
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, welcome to the boards first off...

I've always wanted to do a D&D campaign based on Suikoden, too bad my friends wouldn't appreciate it fully I think! :mrgreen:

Anyway, I'm glad you want to join Highland Kingdom, I'll check with our leader to see what we can do...though I know it costs soldiers.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't played a Dungeons & Dragons style game for a long time, though I enjoyed it when I did. I can see from the link you provided you've put a lot of thought into the subject. I'm not too familiar with the 3rd edition, but is that the d20 system I've been hearing about? If you have any questions on whether a certain topic is allowed, you can PM either SARSadmin or Synchysi for clarification. However, roleplaying is not permitted in the general forums, but they are permitted in nation forums under the discretion of the nation leader. If you were planning to do it on your own site, then there's no problem that I can see with placing a link in your signature.

As for your interest in joining Highland, of course I can't help you there (being from Falena) but all you really need to do at this point is just keep posting regularly and with plenty of substance, and you should reach the 10,000 soldiers needed for the Immigration Permit in a fairly short period of time.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, D&D third edition is d20. I was actually working on this very thing [think I mentioned it in my introduction post, or very near to that], but I think I will remain working independantly. Regardless, for any who wishes to see what it's all about, the entire core rules can be found here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35
Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

what is Dungeons & Dragons??
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wha? You haven't head or Dungeons & Dragons? It's perhaps one of the most well known FRPG (Fantasy Role-Playing Game) series out there. It has been both a dice system, table-top game as well as computer/video games. There are also people who believe Dungeons & Dragons is evil and leads people who play it to Satanism, though I could never figure out how anyone could come to such a conclusion.

I can't really explain too much about the mechanics, because it's been at least ten years since I played it. But one person, the Game Master (or Dungeon Master) develops the scenario and the players create their characters, using dice (usually a 10-sided die) to generate their stats. The first step, of course, is generating the species and class of the character, which have their own stat modifiers. As it is all "pen and paper" it's up to the players to keep a written record of their stats, the damage their characters have taken, the items in stock, etc. Oh, and unless the GM provides them, it's also up to the players to create their own maps.

Even though I haven't played such games for a long time, I still have many components to the Hârn system. (My uncle used to work for Columbia Games way back when they had a branch in New Westminster, BC)

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Sai Fujiwara

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First off, thanks for all the warm welcomes to this forum. This seems like a really cool place to be, so hopefully I'll be hanging around here for a while. :D

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Wizards of the Coast is past 3.0 and is working with 3.5 at this time. Apparently there were some bugs in the original 3.0, so Wizards came out with 3.5 to adress and fix several, if not most of them. I'm REALLY new to D&D, so for someone like myself to set this up, takes me not only learning a lot about 3.5, but also trying to modify some of the classes and whatnot. I'm playing with people who will want to stay true to most of the original rules, so it leaves me with only a little hedgeway here. Naturally, I have to give them a background on the world, it's nations, and events leading up to the present, so that they can understand the world they're in, and how to act accordingly (as well as how they can expect to be treated by NPCs).

Coming up with races wasn't too difficult, and I don't think I left any out. One thing I did change from my posts on GameFAQs was that Lizards now get a -4 to INT as opposed to -2, since it helped remedy some balance issues there. Not only that, but Lizards pretty much will never use magic, and this lowers the probability of someone saying, "I want a Lizard Rune Mage!"

Now, the most difficult thing so far (Which is where I'm at right now) is determining proper classes, and prestige classes. I posted a few of the ideas for Prestige Classes at GameFAQs, and if anyone else has any other ideas for classes, or skills that any beforementioned class should have, I would greatly appreciate that. So far, I figure that Barbarians, Monks, Fighters, Rogues, and Nobles (From DragonLance) should basically be the same as described in the Core Books.

However, the other basic classes, Ranger, Paladin, and Rune Mage require a little more work. As we all know, spells in Suikoden come from the runes that the characters possess. However, I'm a little afraid that making up my own spells would "urk" the players a bit too much, so I decided wasn't going to do that. (Actually, I do plan on making up a few spells, but ONLY in the case of the 27 True Runes.) So far, the easiest thing to do, is use the D&D idea for sorcerers and apply them to Rune Mages, Clerics, Rangers, and Paladins. These characters would start with a rune (Like the Cleric with a Water Rune, the Rune Mage with a Fire Rune, a Paladin with a Lightning Rune, and the Ranger with an Earth Rune.) This would enable them to cast their spells with a gesture of their hand. As far as WHAT spells they can cast, I'd just go with the chart for "Spells Known for Sorcerers." Obviously Clerics would learn and cast Cleric spells, Rangers would learn and cast Ranger spells, and Rune Mages would learn and cast Sorcerer / Wizard Spells. However, Paladins would be a little different from the mold. I was thinking that most Paladins would be from the Warrior's Village, or perhaps be those who were trained there. (After all, Klift the Crusader was said to be a Paladin.) Anyway, they would be able to learn and cast Paladin, Cleric, or (at a penalty of learning 1.5 spells) Sorcerer / Wizard Spells. This would make Paladin a more likely class for a great fighter (Like Flik, or Hix) who is very adept at using magic, though not able to decimate all with their spells like Luc or Sasarai. (Paladins could only cast up to 4th or 5th Level).

Oh, and in regards to the previous post, the guy before you sent a link to Wizard's d20 System's website, if you're interested.

Again, thanks for any and all feeback, hope to hear what you guys think!

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hi, and welcome to the forum.

This sounds like alot of fun perhaps you could start a Yahoo usergroup or something of the sort so people can help you.
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The way I did magic for the game I created was to have each school be a different Rune (Fire - Enchanment/Charm, Water - Divination, Lightning - Evocation, WInd - Illusion, Earth - Abjuration, BLinking - Transmutation, Pale Gate - Conjuration, Darkness - Necromancy and Resurrection - any cuurative spells). Each character started with one Rune slot and could spend feats for more You had access to any spell frm the school whose Rune you had equipped (as long as your class level allowed you to cast spells of that spell level) and could cast them withour preparation (so Wizard, Sorcerer and Cleric were melded into one class ... the differences only lied in your Runes). You could only have three Runes at max, so you could only have access to three schools at once. Other Runes (support and command) gave you extra feats, a specific one for each rune. THat's how I did it. I used the MP system form Unearthed Arcana so that all classes could cast spells, just that the fighting classes had almost no MP.
Kaho

Kaho the Shadow Flow

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just felt like commenting as I, too have thought of making a Suikoden campaign setting. Personally, I think a Shield Rune would be more fitting with the standard D&D paladin, however it your game after all :)

Perhaps Additional Rune Slot as a Feat? Hmm personally I prefer limiting magic, as it tends to unbalance high level play by a huge degree as written. (Pure Cleric and Mage/Sorceror Mostly... who needs fighters when you can gate in Solars and such? =P)

Just some random thoughts *lurk mode on*
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

a
Quote:

Just felt like commenting as I, too have thought of making a Suikoden campaign setting. Personally, I think a Shield Rune would be more fitting with the standard D&D paladin, however it your game after all

Perhaps Additional Rune Slot as a Feat? Hmm personally I prefer limiting magic, as it tends to unbalance high level play by a huge degree as written. (Pure Cleric and Mage/Sorceror Mostly... who needs fighters when you can gate in Solars and such? =P)

Just some random thoughts *lurk mode on*

No, I am actually playing In Wataru's game, and they way we are handling it is, Geshtalt characters. For those who do not know what I mean, it a combination character. You pick 2 classes, and take the best from both. I sounds more unbalancing then it really is. For example, I am a magicuser/monk. I get the monk savingthrows, attack bonus, etc, and the ability to cast spells from magicuser(all magic user were lumped into 1 class), but I have a very slow MP progression. So i'll probably never have enough MP to gate in anything. It works because you are a little stronger in the begining, but you become spread alittle too thin. Expecially when it comes to skills. You have all the class skills of BOTH classes, and the skill points of the highest class. In my case monk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: