Suikoden Unique and Informational Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Organic Food Not Actually Good For Anything?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Karushifa wrote:
As far as produce goes, I tend to follow the creed of "buy local" (when in season) more than "buy organic". Produce that comes from far-away places is nearly always picked before it has matured completely, and is meant to ripen on the way to the store. On the other hand, local produce has more time to vine-ripen, and I think this makes a big difference. My family drives to a peach farm about an hour away every summer to buy a few pecks, simply because the peaches there taste so much better than California peaches from the grocery store - even though the local peaches, like the California ones, are not organically grown. This is probably also why home-grown tomatoes taste better - if they're picked right in their prime, they will probably taste way better than what I call "wood tomatoes" that are flown in from places like Chile and are a sickly shade of pale orange when they are put out in the grocery store. Yuck.

From the people I know who insist on organic, some of them DO buy it for health reasons: my sister, for example, is very allergic to some pesticides used on non-organic produce, and she cannot eat it as a consequence (espeically, for some reason, grape tomatoes and strawberries). Plus, there is the issue of supporting local farms, many of which right around where I live are small organic operations.

I agree with this post, and to add:

There are a lot of small family farms in our state - I think of the dairy nearby, and the strawberry fields that ripen in February [yay Florida!] and of course, the kabillion oranges, grapefruits, and other citrus fruit that [to me] don't taste the same if they were shipped in from somewhere else.

Something else I thought about while I was reading all the responses - am I the only person that thinks the whole organic 'craze' is targeted more towards specific people as opposed to the general population as a whole? I'm reasonably sure that people who are broke off their ass would be just as interested in eating healthier or not being allergic to the pesticides or preservatives used on some fruits and veggies than the people who spend all sorts of money just to make sure that their fruits / veggies / meats / milk is 'organic' or 'pesticide free' or 'hormone free'. Where is the push for healthier eating for everyone, not just those that can afford it?

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I live out in the middle of farmland and a ton of organically grown/raised plants/animals. I was shocked at how awesome milk tasted without the added hormones, and nothing beats the taste of free-range chicken eggs (bugs or not, those are some tasty eggs).

When in West Virginia a couple weeks ago, I had some home-grown strawberries, peppers, tomatoes, and a few other tasty produce items that were very, very tasty. <3 I've never had such sweet strawberries in my whole life.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: