Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Keystone Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

BioWare and Pandemic has been bought
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

jjrrs wrote:
Well maybe it's because I wasn't that on top of PC games like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights but they just felt like variations of other action rpgs like diablo, I'm sure they play much differently in a good way and have solid storylines but it just feels like it's been done just as well by someone else.

In terms of the overall hype, once again I didn't pay much attention to the early games like Baldur's Gate, and there were less media coverage on games back then too, but by the time bioware started to do consol games like KOTOR, Jade Empire, & Mass effect the coverage have been crazy, any major update on a game is like the leading story for all game sites and publications, while the long delays only compound that hype, to me it just take things to a level that very few games can reach.

I did think that KOTOR was way better than anything similar at the time it came out that's only been matched recently by oblivion and it was worth the hype, but that's also due to it's star wars setting, while I'm not even that big of a star wars fan, I think it makes a big difference on attracting interest alone. On the other hand, if Mass Effect is just as revolutionary a game when it comes out, it's more generic sci-fi space travel setting won't gain attention in the same way. I'll still play the game, but I don't see how it would make the same impact.

Diablo is far more team orientated and really on a different spectrum than NWN, if NWN is to be compared to any other RPG it would be D&D (and in video gaming without the platformer "arcade" base and instead an RPG base) the original also wasn't as hyped as the sequel and actually far better supported than Diablo because the single player was much much better. This is the case because the Aurora Engine which was really produced for NWN was modified and used in later titles (KotOR & the Witcher) that history also places NWN as an mmo from 1991-97 before beign what it is as of the version we know and Diablo was then 1996, really bad form with comparisons.

As for the acquisition of Bioware specifically, if EA do the same as they did with Westwood, as in release tripe that was Generals, and then something better in Tiberium Wars I'd be very disappointed mainly because with the restructuring I would expect EA to pull their finger out and not screw with good devs. Then again, I am biased since I participated in a conglomeration of those who mooned an EA representative and then paraded about with THQ paraphernalia.

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While I do understand a lot of the hatred against EA, I say that as long as they don't try and mess with what BioWare and Pandemic have been doing, it really doesn't matter who owns them. I would have to imagine that EA didn't buy them just so they could crush them, they bought them because they figured it would be profitable to do so. Perhaps they've learned that heavy handed management of companies that are used to doing things differently just doesn't work. Frankly, I could speculate all day long, but I'll need to see a game from BioWare that was done completely post-buyout, and then I can say whether it was ultimately a good thing, or a bad thing that EA bought them. I should think that EA has a much larger budget to spread around, so if that's the case, then more money given to a developer can only be a good thing, even if it comes from the source of all evil :P

~Uguu!~
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sailor Sexy wrote:
While I do understand a lot of the hatred against EA, I say that as long as they don't try and mess with what BioWare and Pandemic have been doing, it really doesn't matter who owns them. I would have to imagine that EA didn't buy them just so they could crush them, they bought them because they figured it would be profitable to do so. Perhaps they've learned that heavy handed management of companies that are used to doing things differently just doesn't work. Frankly, I could speculate all day long, but I'll need to see a game from BioWare that was done completely post-buyout, and then I can say whether it was ultimately a good thing, or a bad thing that EA bought them. I should think that EA has a much larger budget to spread around, so if that's the case, then more money given to a developer can only be a good thing, even if it comes from the source of all evil :P

Personally I think the acquisitions were lined up to expand upon the somewhat recent shift in EA's management into individual branch sections. People would be more inclined to see is as EA wishing to spread its previous shit all over every genre, but with noted signings under each label, it gives it a lot more credence than otherwise in the views of the gamers. Of course, that is only an obvious opinion.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

EA eats everything, they ate Maxis and many more.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: