Suikoden Uncanny and Illusional Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Terry Pratchett Fan Thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rincewind

Architect of the Pass - Phoenix Regiment

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Terry Pratchett Fan Thread Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Who here loves this great British author and why? I am hopelessly addicted to his books. I had never really read a lot for fun, aside from Harry Potter, and I just read as many of his books as I could. I believ it was 20 of his books in a year. I know that isn't a lot for some people, but it is for me.

Currently, my favorite book of his is Going Postal. I can't rant about this book enough. The main character seems to have such a different energy about him as opposed to any other of Pratchett's characters I have read about. I love the constant competition going on between the post office and the clacks towers.
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What I like about Going Postal is the Open Source Project in the clacks hahah and the hacker spirit and ...
Yeah.. Ok, I'll shut up now, since maybe 3 people will get it.
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've read The Color of Magic, the Light Fantastic and Equal Rites from the Discworld series and I LOVE the writing style. I don't have much time for recreational reading, but more Discworld reading is definitely going to be on my list of things to make time for.
Mengo

Self-proclaimed Genius

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Terry Pratchett rules ! IMO, one the best writer. not just fantasy.

here in France, the last one we got is "the truth" . but i didn't buy it, neither "The fifth elephant" (the cost is quite high)

however, i did read every one of this other books, and own a lot of them, too.

too bad his first books before dw are'nt that good. Well, of course, the jimmy's stories are quite good, and i heard that the "big gnomist book" isn't bad neither. but he wrote two whose i don't remember the name, and they were pure crap.

oh, and "Good Omens" is one my favourite book of all time. Just read it.
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love Terry Pratchett too --however-- as some of my fellow Highlanders know I have fairly strong views on the quality of his later efforts. I tend to find his earlier books much more enjoyable and entertaining. His later books all seem to need to have some kind of 'punch line' which will turn the story around for the gallop to the finish.

Maybe it's because my expectations have changed or maybe because his writing style has changed I can't really say. I do however think that his books have gotten to be less and less fun the more he tries to add extra little detail onto extra little detail into his world, all of which need to be acknowleged and catered for in his newer books.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: