Suikoden Utopian and Infamous Kriegspiel Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What do you think of the US use of Extrodinary Rendition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Well, those who are still interested in the topic of Extraordinary Rendition as a policy practiced openly and in secret by Western governments should go see the upcoming film dealing with it. Rendition is the name of the film and it pretty much deals with a fictional account of how such a practice works and how the need to stop future terrorist attacks on civilian targets pretty much makes rendition a necessary evil.

So the movie is made in support of extraordinary rendition?
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know if it supports it or not. I haven't seen the movie, yet. The description is a summarization of what the movie's basic plot.

Here's the site with the trailers for the film. You may get a better idea of what you think the movie is about and whether it supports it or not.

Rendition trailers

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First of all, you can't claim it is solely for gathering intel, because everyone they take to their little torture camps isn't a terrorist. Therefore, they would be torturing people who are a) innocent or b) have no means of making the torture end quickly.

Also, I ask myself how Bush can condemn the junta in Myanmar when people are being TORTURED in the name of freedom under his administration?
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ninjar wrote:
First of all, you can't claim it is solely for gathering intel, because everyone they take to their little torture camps isn't a terrorist. Therefore, they would be torturing people who are a) innocent or b) have no means of making the torture end quickly.

You honestly think that the government is wasting time on bringing people in that they know have no intel? What the hell would be the point of that?

Unfortunately Tull, it appears as though that film is going the same way as everything else these days. Demonize the system and make anyone with a position of authority look like the bad guy immediately. The words "There are 700 people alive in London because of intel we gathered this way" is enough justification for me. I'm going to see that movie and of course I'm going to be surrounded by the sheep who take every political message as gospel and can't think for themselves. I guarantee I fight someone walking out of this movie.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can't be absolutely certain that someone has intel unless they are a high level operative for whatever terrorist organization they represent, but there have most certainly been cases of mistaken identity. They amounts to exactly the same thing.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

See that's the dilemma that will never have a satisfying answer for supporters and detractors of rendition. It's sort of like what came first the chicken or the egg. If someone is suspected of being part of a terrorist cell and there's evidence that may support it then supporters will say that extraordinary rendition is a necessary evil and tool to use to get as much information from this suspect in order to prevent future terrorist acts. Detractors of rendition will say that unless this suspect was a known high-level terrorist then an innocent man may get tortured for no reason other than having a name that resembles a terrorist.

I think there's no argument from most that extraordinary rendition, or even torture for that matter, is something that leaves a bad taste in any civilized human being, but unless someone has found a way to extract information which can prevent terrorists from committing acts of mass murder on innocent civilians then it will always remain as an option to be used by even the most civilized society.

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
You honestly think that the government is wasting time on bringing people in that they know have no intel? What the hell would be the point of that?

Wasn't one of Saddam Hussain's driver taken to Gitmo becouse the US government thought he might have some intel on WMD?

Quote:
Demonize the system and make anyone with a position of authority look like the bad guy immediately. The words "There are 700 people alive in London because of intel we gathered this way" is enough justification for me.

People are not trying to demonize the system or people in power. What people are really trying to do is to point out the flaw in the system and the policies of those in power. There just sayin "there has got to be a better way than this".

700 people were saved but one has to wonder if there were any hidden price to obtaining that valuable intel[like for example torturing or wrongly imprisoning someone] and then one has to wonder what if the government suddenly wrongly accuses me of being a terrorist and decides to extradite me to some hell hole like gitmo and then be forced to undergo torture for information i know nothing about.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, for those who are saved by information gathered through rendition would say that the price paid, no matter how immoral and high, is fine for them since it was their life that was saved. It's hard to tell a person whose family was killed that information that could've been gathered through rendition might've been the one to save them.

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And its just as hard to tell the family of anyone who is falsely accused and then forced to endure imprisonment for info they do not have that its was a neccesary evil to save people they don't even know about.

Not to mention in the long run extrodinary rendition looks detrimental to the war on terror. I mean your suppose to show moderate muslims that the west are the "good guys". How can you prove that to them when your willing to implore dirty tactics that make you look no better than the extremists your fighting?
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Which brings the dilemma to the subject that is extraordinary rendition. I don't think anyone would argue that the practice is cruel and barbaric when put up next to the laws and principles of a democratized society. But even such societies will need people willing to sacrifice their own high principles if it meant serving the greater good. No one wants to be the one to make the order to have someone tortured for vital information, but then it's those same people who won't want to do it who will complain loudest that its government did nothing to prevent the crime or terrorist act from occurring.

One thing I always like to ask those who vehemently say they're against the practice is what should be done to get information to prevent terrorist acts. If extraordinary rendition is so abhorrent and is not an accurate means of gaining information then what other ways should be used. While I don't see rendition as the definite form of information gathering I also know that it is an option that shouldn't be taken off the table. People who hide behind their principles rarely have any other way they can recommend to gather intel.

Some would say change in foreign policy is one way to go but that doesn't work if the opponent is dead set in eradicating a certain way of life and willing to die to make it so. So, I ask those against rendition what sort of procedures can you recommend that you think works best which can prevent terrorist acts from occuring.

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The American government isn't sacrificing their own high principles since they've proven time after time that those principles don't exist. They can beat their chest and declare themselves leaders of the free world but their actions have shown that they don't value freedom at all. To be honest it's not the torture I care about, if the people really do intend to attack innocent people then I'm not going to lose sleep over them being tortured but I think there needs to be a more formal system for it. Give them a fair trial and if they're found guilty then they can try and get whatever information they can from them.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I don't think anyone would argue that the practice is cruel and barbaric when put up next to the laws and principles of a democratized society. But even such societies will need people willing to sacrifice their own high principles if it meant serving the greater good.

That old quote "those who would sacrifice a little liberty[or in this case the liberty of others not of there nationality] to gain a little security deserves neither and will lose both" comes to mind.

One can argue that the "greater good" is not really being served by the use of barbaric tactics. And if your sacrifice the very principles your trying to protect then doesn't that make you a hypocrite? The moral high ground is always difficulty but the long run benefits will always outweigh the short term gains of morally repugnant methods.

Quote:
One thing I always like to ask those who vehemently say they're against the practice is what should be done to get information to prevent terrorist acts. If extraordinary rendition is so abhorrent and is not an accurate means of gaining information then what other ways should be used. While I don't see rendition as the definite form of information gathering I also know that it is an option that shouldn't be taken off the table. People who hide behind their principles rarely have any other way they can recommend to gather intel.

Why don't we start with doing something to make other governments cooperate more with intel gather[i mean why do they have to be extradited to the US to gather intel??] It true, there maybe no other alternatives to extraodinary rendition but I do wonder will the people who use this tactic be able to sleep at night knowing they maybe ruining the lives of innocent men and women and there families?

Quote:
Some would say change in foreign policy is one way to go but that doesn't work if the opponent is dead set in eradicating a certain way of life and willing to die to make it so. So, I ask those against rendition what sort of procedures can you recommend that you think works best which can prevent terrorist acts from occuring.

If that certain way of life happened to include torture or tactics that are deplorable can you really blame them?[not that i support them i just understand where there coming from]

Dealing with the symptom will not likely solve anything. A change in policy is the best way to truly end terrorism. Extraordinary rendition is only giving additional ammo for extremist to recruit idealistic muslims. And if that is the case you gain only temporary reprive from extraordinary rendition.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You really haven't offered up any other form of ways to gather intelligence. What you've offered up is change in governmental policy which takes time and usually a radical change in how governments deal with each other. As for Hawk's assertion that high principles don't exist for the U.S. I'm thinking you confuse the current administration's actions for the whole population. The fact that people will actually debate this topic without being tortured in the U.S. shows that it does have high principles. So please, do not mistake the actions of the few to label the majority. And that's the thing about the actions of these few.

Yes, rendition may just be a stopgap since its very nature does lead to more extremism from those affected by it, but then again like the riddle of which came first the chicken or the egg, rendition has become such a necessary tactic and tool because of the actions of extremists who sees attacking civilians as something they deem necessary. I think I've made my point clear that as deplorable as rendition has been I've not seen, heard or read of any other means which can take its place as a way to gather important information which would save lives.

As for the people who will use rendition to get the information they need to stop terrorist acts I'm going to assume that the fact they're using such tactics means they will sleep soundly. For those who don't then that means that despite the nature of rendition they saw the need to use it to save lives. For some losing sleep and having a guilty conscience is a sacrifice they will be willing to make to save lives. I can't condemn such people for I don't know how I would react if such a situation was presented to me. I don't think anyone here could say for certain they may not contemplate doinng the same thing if they thought it meant saving lives.

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
As for Hawk's assertion that high principles don't exist for the U.S. I'm thinking you confuse the current administration's actions for the whole population. The fact that people will actually debate this topic without being tortured in the U.S. shows that it does have high principles. So please, do not mistake the actions of the few to label the majority. And that's the thing about the actions of these few.

I'm not doing anything of the sort, that's why I said
Quote:
The American government...
and not the American people. Though to be honest, while the government isn't going to torture people for disagreeing with them, they are steadily reducing your freedoms, and while I have no doubt that the majority of Americans are against things like the Patriot Act, most seem content to read about others protesting these changes than to take advantage of the fact that they do live in a democracy and do something about it themselves.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
You really haven't offered up any other form of ways to gather intelligence. What you've offered up is change in governmental policy which takes time and usually a radical change in how governments deal with each other.

Well considering we are fighting a "radical" enemy it might be in our best interest to radically change our tactics[our current tactics clearly wont help us achive our goals].

I really haven't offered a truly better solution but does that mean we should use a bad strategy just becouse we don't have a good strategy?[you said it yourself we end up losing in the long run by using this tactic].

Quote:
But even such societies will need people willing to sacrifice their own high principles if it meant serving the greater good.

Quote:
'For the greater good' always sends a shiver down my spine when used in a moral context as it is generally used by people who will never have to experience what happens to those people who are considered as sacrifices to the greater good. Such a phrase can be used to justify the most inhumane and brutal practices that society has.

Quote:
The war on terror is silly enough as it is, but using practices that may increase the incentive to become a terrorist is not smart. Terrorism will never be stopped, but the best way to fight it is to stop people from becoming terrorists

These are decado and toneberry’s point of view about torture but I think it work just as well to describe my point of view about extraordinary rendition

Quote:

For some losing sleep and having a guilty conscience is a sacrifice they will be willing to make to save lives. I can't condemn such people for I don't know how I would react if such a situation was presented to me. I don't think anyone here could say for certain they may not contemplate doinng the same thing if they thought it meant saving lives.

I won't condemn them but neither will they get any sympathy from me when there dirty tactics finally backfires on them and increases the risk of terrorist attacks.

Presented with the same situation I would possibly contemplate using such a method. But i would think to myself "if I do this won't i just help perpetuate this meaningless cycle of violence?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: