Suikoden Unique and Inspirational Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Jade Empire developers using Outlaws of the Marsh

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Jade Empire developers using Outlaws of the Marsh Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

G4 recently ran a show that highlighted game development, and Jade Empire came up. Turns out they've read Outlaws of the Marsh, and they decided to include a character based upon Black Whirlwind Li Kui.

Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was excited up until you mentioned Li Kui. My hatred for that character knows no bounds. My hatred of Song Jiang is only mildly less, for continuing to give him chances when the bastard should have been executed long ago.

Then again... it might be interesting to play this game, just to kill off this version of the Black Whirlwind. It might finally satisfy four or so years of repressed rage.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awwwwwww! Li Kui is my second favorite character! Everyone's always telling him to shutup and stop doing this and that but he does it anyways! Hua Rong is my favorite if you couldn't tell from my regiment name. :P I wish he was a Tiger Gerneal though cause that's just a cool title.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone tells him not to do something because he's an incompetitant yeefrigginhaw. "Aww, you killed a half dozen innocent people on top of disobeying my orders?" *gives Li Kui a stern look* "Well, it looks like you've learned your lesson. Just don't do it again, okay?" Rinse. Repeat. Recycle. Ad nauseum.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh he's just passionate and honest to a fault. And Song Jiang was ready to kill him on several occasions.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Li Kui has been punished by Song Jiang, so he is not above the law.

Black Whirlwind and Sagacious Lu are two of my favorite characters, since they stand out.

Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:08 am; edited 2 times in total
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just started to play the game, after years of thinking dynasty warriors might have been better if more of the nicknames and locations were translated by definition instead of just sounded out, I found out through this game that it's really not, it just sounds weird either way.

As far as I played, the game's story dose seem very close to a chinese legend and it was cool that one of the very early bad guy was the disrespectful son of a rich local jerk, which happens at one point or another in most of the chinese stories. However, for someone who knows those legends well it dose bother me that the clothing and enviorment seemed more japanese than chinese, on top of that everything looks shinning new with vibrant colors which dosen't really happen in that part of the world.

I can't believe they ripped off one of the most famous character from one of the most beloved chinese stories and didn't even say anything about it in the making of video. By the way, the city you start the game in is called two rivers.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like Lu Da as well. I don't see alot of Viktor in him but he's one of the characters who makes the story more enjoyable. Though he was partners with Flik's matching star.

Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They mentioned Outlaws of the Marsh several times, so they are definitely of its characters.

Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah they included that making of video in the LE version of the game which I just watched last night before playing it. yes they mentioned outlaws of the marshes over and over but they never mentioned that their character is from that story directly nor did they mention his real name. Also they were very much pushing the idea that the story is chinese, I'm not saying it is wrong for them to include some japanese styles but just don't push it so hard as a chinese story, either way the bright colors in the game dose not fit well with eastern stories.

One of the reasons I love suikoden so much is that they gave me what I was looking for in one of the best stories of all time, which is a happy ending. The story in the water margins is such a kick in the nuts at the end, as a 9 year old I got extreamly depressed and answers to the problem was no where to be found.

In terms of character I love, I really like Tung P'ing Warrior of the Two Spears and Chaing Ch'ing The Featherless Arrow cause they are both bad ass and can do stuff that no one else dose, twin spears is a crazy skill and that featherless arrow thing is so awsome. It's a shame how they both died, and it really pissed me off in the text of the book when all of a sudden it said and I qoute: "Chain Ching's spear skills are not very advanced..." before he got killed. What the heck, that was never mention before when he was collecting battle honors all over the place and almost single handedly took over three castles in the war againest the north, he gets shot in the throte with a arrow and that didn't kill him but died in such a worthless fight, man that sucked. I read in another famous chinese book that the sons of those 2 men were friends and good fighters as they fought in the war againest the Jin invasion, but I think Chaing Chi'ing's son abandoned the featherless arrow skill.

Another character to love for me is Yien Ch'ing The Prodigal, he's like Nash with many battle skills, a spy who normally works solo but is very effective and just a good loyal person. I respect Hua Rong because he has great christma and awsome bow skills but I question his skills with a spear, he never really beat anyone good one on one and his is most famous for shooting someone with an arrow when they are not really expecting it, as cool as that is, it is kind of sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: