Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What are you listening to?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Song: En mäktig här
Band: Finntroll
Album: Ur Jordens Djup
Year: 2007
Style: Caribbean Metal. At least, this track is. Finntroll are also known for Polka Metal, Pirate Metal, Gremlin Metal, Folk Metal, and sound effects of big orcs eating vegetables or something.
Origin: Finland
Rating: ?/10
Comments: The concert of the year is rapidly approaching! I'm seeing FINNTROLL on October 10th, and possibly again on the 11th if I think it's worth the drive to Houston. Finntroll are ridiculously awesome. I'll be playing through the new album all week to properly familiarize myself with it for the gig.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm listening to a copy of La mia tristezza that I alted in a program and made the singer sound differnt(and slowed it a bit) sounds weird. I forget who the orginal singer is.
UM oh yeh. such a sad sad song, full of feeling.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Currently:

Otherside of the Game / Erykah Badu.

Lone Wolf

303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am listening to Skillet Better then drugs.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm currently listening to Joanna Newson's Ys. It's really interesting CD-- one of most unique CDs I've heard in ages, definitely one of the best CDs of last year. It gets a lot of credit for giving me a musical experience that I've never really had before, doing something totally unique and different with folk vocals mixed with classical harp and elements of orchestral music for the instrumentals.

A must have for anyone looking for something truly unique and meaningful to add to their collection.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Creepr

Bow Jester Squadron

8634 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Right now I'm listenign to "Scotty Doesn't Know" from the movie Euro Trip, because my house-mate has his computer connected to the tv and the volume is pretty high...
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gil-galad wrote:
I'm currently listening to Joanna Newson's Ys. It's really interesting CD-- one of most unique CDs I've heard in ages, definitely one of the best CDs of last year. It gets a lot of credit for giving me a musical experience that I've never really had before, doing something totally unique and different with folk vocals mixed with classical harp and elements of orchestral music for the instrumentals.

A must have for anyone looking for something truly unique and meaningful to add to their collection.

I was on such a huge Joanna Newsom kick around this time last year. She has such an interesting and unique voice, and is a wonderful harp player. She can also play a mean harpsichord. Y's if defintely my favorite album of her two, but if you are really digging her sound, I would suggest listening to her first album as well. Not as epic and expansive as Y's (the songs are a lot shorter), but there are a few gems on there.

Her voice kind of sounds like Lisa Simpson to me. Heh. Some of her songs I hear it more than others.

Song: The Trouble With Those Mothra Girls
Band: DaiKaiJu
Album: DaiKaiJu
Year: 2002 I think?
Genre: Surf Rock
Rating : 10/10
Info: I have been on a big surf rock kick as of late (as well as a psycho and metal kick), and this has been the best band I have found in this genre...ever. They are just incredible. Fully instrumental classy excellent surf rock. I love the titles of their songs as well. But if you really want to listen to surf rock for what it is...you should listen to this band.

Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bub wrote:

I was on such a huge Joanna Newsom kick around this time last year. She has such an interesting and unique voice, and is a wonderful harp player. She can also play a mean harpsichord. Y's if defintely my favorite album of her two, but if you are really digging her sound, I would suggest listening to her first album as well. Not as epic and expansive as Y's (the songs are a lot shorter), but there are a few gems on there.

Awesome, I'll definitely have to check out her earlier album. I was looking at it earlier, but I decided to wait on getting it since I already got a bunch of new music recently, and I don't want to overload myself right now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sun's Vicegerent

Divine Judgement

777674 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Song: September (Remix)
Band: Earth Wind and Fire
Year: 50's
Genre: Disco
Rating: 10/10
Info: It's old school, but it's a very happy song and it makes me happy. It makes me feel like dancing and brings a smile to my face. I think I discovered a new love for funk and disco. :D

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Earth Wind and Fire is fun. :)

I'm currently listening to Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto #2, performed by Van Cliburn with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. One of the most perfectly performed recordings of this piece, in my opinion. It's often very difficult to find good recordings of piano concertos with Orchestra, because the pianist and the conductor often disagree with how the piece should be played, leading to issues with how it matches up. Not only is Van Cliburn one of the great masters on piano (he plays a near flawless performance of the piece), he matches up quite perfectly with the orchestra-- and the CSO is one of the top orchestras in the world-- and by far the greatest in the US at the time that is recording was made (1961).

It's one of the most accessible classical works that I've ever listened to, and one of the most popularly performed-- so I'd say it's a good bet for anyone to check out.

Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nothing wrong with listening to September, it's a good song.

I haven't been listening to much music recently, mainly because I haven't found anything new that really takes my interest. Still, I did download that Cobrastyle song which is playing in pretty much everything these days and is way too catchy for it's own good.
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Song: Master Of Fists
Band: High On Fire
Year: 2000
Genre: Stoner metal or Doom metal
Rating: 9/10
Info: Rocking good metal from Oakland, CA. The lead singer, Matt Pike, was one of the originators of Stoner metal with Sleep, and his new band, High On Fire is just a step up than his previous band. Great, sludgy drone metal. Great drummer. It's just great all around. I figure if you are looking to get into metal, try this band out. I can't wait to see them on October 11th!

Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Song: The Siren of the Woods
Band: Therion
Album: Theli
Year: 1997
Style: Opera Metal
Origin: Sweden
Rating: 10+/10
Comments: 10+/10 is, coming from me, a little more prestigious than from most other people I'd imagine. Theli as a whole is a 9/10 album, which is still pretty damn impressive, but Siren of the Woods rises above and beyond anything nearly any other band has accomplished. This 10 minute opus builds up from a slow melodic instrumental chant accompanied by mystical vocals in to a euphoric climax that, without ever changing the tempo or becoming decidedly 'heavy', tells a musical epic so vivid by the sound alone that no vocals are needed to personify the world crashing head on in to the sun in some beautiful disaster. Recorded the same year as f#a#oo, this album may have no ties with post-rock, but in spirit this song is just as innovative in establishing a sort of neo-classical triumphant climax as anything Godspeed had to offer. I uploaded it for Septimus a minute ago, so I might as well share it with the rest of you:

Therion - The Siren of the Woods

Bub wrote:
The lead singer, Matt Pike, was one of the originators of Stoner metal with Sleep

Pffffft, Black Sabbath invented stoner metal in 1969. :)

High on Fire are flipping awesome live though.
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Song: The Dead Flag Blues
Band: Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Album: F#A#(infinity sign)
Style: Post-Rock. THE post-rock band.
Origin: Somewhere in Canada
Comments: GSY!BE is one of my favorite bands of all time. Their music is so good that it has made me weep before. Their ability to set moods and paint beautiful (in so many forms (beauty in destruction, beauty in an aging and dying man, beauty in innocence, beauty in insanity, beauty in hope)) is beyond comparison to anything else I have ever listened to. I can say (and this may turn some heads, some angry heads), GSY!BE is on par with the classical greats when it comes to setting moods and flowing your mind into a tapestry of emotion and vividness. Maybe I just relate to them more, I'm not sure...but they are just incredible.

This song is my favorite song by them. The monologue in the beginning of the song is beautiful and strong. The voice is just as beautiful and strong, and couldn't be more fitting. I cannot think of a better "end-of-the-world" feel to a song, anywhere. "You grabbed my hand and we fell into it, like a daydream or a fever." Ah, the lyrics are absolutely incredible.

I can go on and on about this band, but I will stop for you guys and girls. :) I highly suggest listening to this band, especially those of you who are into orchestra pieces and lots of instruments.

Heh, Shad, I see that you know them as well. We share a fairly common taste in music. Good show, sir. :D

Edit: Decent video for the song. There was never a music video for it, and the song is actually a little over 13 minutes, but this has most of the song, and the editing is not bad.
DISCLAIMER: Careful with watching that video. Just minimize it and listen to the song. The video has some scenes of graphic violence/death...the people that created it were trying to go with the mood of the song.

Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hahaha, I kid you not sir, I clicked on this thread fully intent on posting Dead Flag Blues. Well, I will anyway.

Song: The Dead Flag Blues
Band: Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Album: f#a#oo
Style: post-rock
Origin: Canada
Comments: It's not my favorite song on the three track album - that honor goes to East Hasting - but it's still a masterpiece. There's not much I need to say about the song now that Bub hasn't already mentioned, which is great because I was going to spend like half an hour ranting about it and now I can go to sleep instead.
Gil recently acquired this album on my recommendation, so I started listening to it again myself. It had been a while. It seems every time I pick these guys back up they sound ten times better to me. I could never properly appreciate them when I was 16 or 17 and first introduced to the band, but now they're among my favorites. The most bitter memory of my life thus far remains finding out two days too late that I missed seeing both Godspeed and Sigur Ros in the same weekend in 2002. *shakes his skinny fist at the skies*

Gil's initial reaction to them today amused me.

<Gil-> the next song is a half hour
<Gil-> o.o
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 16 of 22

Jump to: