Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He has just held a speech on invitation at Columbia University in the USA, under much criticism and I'm here to say that some of his comments over the years may have been mistranslated or taken out of context, not to defend him either though. I just feel a lot of the media is kicking up a storm that in some of the cases, isn't there. Although I thought the Holocaust "conference" was horrible, and the people that attended were even worse, doing some research into some of his comments that have become a common reference when talking about the man shows some interesting things.

Lets start with the Holocaust comment, in which media outlets all over the world claimed that he said the Holocaust was a "myth." According to several web sites the exact translation was: "in the name of the Holocaust they have created a myth." In which he is referring to the Israeli regime which because of the Holocaust was established in the Middle East, and not the people of the country (nor the Palestinians). What seemingly every outlet also left out, was the long speech of peace and how nuclear bombs were "un-islamic" before that and how he thought the Israeli-Palestinian situation should be resolved peacefully through elections, instead he has been labelled a Holocaust-denier.

Source: http://www.juancole.com/2006/08/ahmadinejad-we-are-not-threat-to-any.ht ml

Lets move onto the "wipe off the map" comment in reference to Israel, there has been much debate (even though you'll never see this debate in mainstream media) about the translation of what Ahmadinejad actually said. Ahmadinejad was actually citing a metaphorical and spirital phrase that Ayatollah Khomeini had said years before when he was alive, read this article.

onthemedia.org wrote:
ETHAN BRONNER: It turned out that Khomeini's original phrase was so metaphorical and abstract that, at the time, translators didn't know what to do with it and ended up calling it "map," and it ended up staying in the kind of Iranian lexicon that way. And at military parades in Tehran across all these 28 years or so since the revolution, death to Israel, death to America, wipe both off the map, are pretty common things. So, in brief, what happened is that I asked Nazila to go back to the original Khomeini quote. And what she found was that Ahmadinejad had, in fact, slightly misquoted Khomeini and had used a slightly different phrase so that the word "map" seemed better translated in Ahmadinejad's words as "time" or "pages of time." But one of the central points that Juan Cole was making was that the word "wipe," or "wipe off" or "wipe away," was an aggressive word, and that really "disappear" is a better translation of the Persian both by Khomeini and by Ahmadinejad.

BROOKE GLADSTONE: Have any officials in Iran, to your knowledge, actually disputed the "map-wiping" [CHUCKLING] translation of Ahmadinejad's remark?

ETHAN BRONNER: No, I mean, to the contrary. In fact, the president's official website, if you go to it in English, it uses the term "wipe away" and "wipe off." And when the foreign minister was questioned about this in Brussels months after the speech, he didn't dispute the translation. He simply said, look, we're not talking about, you know, going to war. Anyway, you can't wipe a country off the map. It's just a question of objecting to and opposing this particular state and country in the Middle East.

So yes, it isn't a very nice comment to the Israel government or Zionism in the Middle East, but under no circumstances is he saying he wants to kill all Israelis or commit any aggression to the people there. It is that he doesn't want a Zionist regime in the Middle East, and not that he doesn't want any Jews there either. Iran actually has the second largest Jewish population in the Middle East, the first obviously being Israel.

So again, it seems to me the majority of mainstream media is going along completely without any questions or even deep investigation just like with Iraq, only this time it is under the guise of anti-Semitism, which has even got the majority of European media along for the ride. Yes Ahmadinejad is naive and a bigot on many issues such as homosexuality or human rights, but there is no way this man is the next Hitler or does he pose any threat to the US or Israel any time soon, even if he tried. As Tull said, he is not a dictator but a demogauge, like Bush, but I'm trying to say that some of those comments which have become his "staples" are misinterpreted.

Also, heres his speech at Columbia if you want to watch, some answers make sense, others are just funny (like the homosexuality one) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDsDQCfZQ-I. For more clarity (or flip-lopping, depends which side of the fence you're on), his speech at Columbia highlights what his thoughts are.

Interesting video with Rabbi Weiss (an Orthodox Jew) clarifying the situation of the Holocaust conference according to him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQY60tN9yL8.

(Sorry to Sai and Tull for your posts, if it's of any comfort mine went too. :()
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what he says, because there is such a thing as lying. He could be telling the truth, or he could be lying; we can't really know.

I personally think he's a real piece of shit, but we have this thing called free speech here in the States that should be respected, no matter what the opinion is. If Neo-nazis can hold rallies in a majority-Jewish neighborhood (Skokie), then Ahmadinejad should be able to say whatever the hell he wants, no matter how stupid he is (and he is pretty damn stupid).

I've looked at some of the reports from the protests, and it looks like most of them don't know much of anything about the Middle East, which isn't surprising.

Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I agree he could be lying, but the talk of peace and not attacking unless attacked first is at least consistent with most of his speeches both inside and outside Iran, a lot of the media just report on what they want to and leave out parts they don't think will cause a reaction.

We need to remember he is elected, even if the "Supreme Council" moderates who can run for President, a more reformist leaning President could very well be the next in office.
SwissStopwatch

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know that you could call him stupid. After all, he's a politician. I definitely suspect that saying and doing a lot of the things he says and does (especially the part about flustering and annoying the US) plays pretty well to the people he's dealing with. Which makes them the smart things to say, in some sense. And, of course, he probably does not particularly care how much any one single average not all that important person likes him. Especially if they don't get to vote in Iran.

So sure, a lot of the things he's said are... not necessarily the most truthful. And they seem (in some cases, obviously are) pretty stupid, from an objective point of view. For example, I'm reasonably sure that the Holocaust happened. And I'm pretty sure that there's at least one homosexual person somewhere in Iran. But they do gain him some political capital where he is... So in that sense, the lies are similar to some that politicians elsewhere tell. Come on, think of some that we've been told over the last few years. Say, from 2000 to now. I'm sure you can come up with a few that have had a lot more real impact than saying that the Holocaust didn't happen. (There's more to say on his comments to that effect, but... not right now.)

In essence, for his purposes, it doesn't matter whether or not the things he says are completely stupid from an outside or objective viewpoint. If he can maintain popularity in Iran by saying them, then that serves his purpose pretty well. At any rate, there's no reason he shouldn't be allowed to speak. People get to choose whether or not to believe him. I definitely don't believe many of his statements, of course, but then again, I'm not his target audience.

Anyway, the Supreme Leader is a higher post than the one he holds, and that's the one that really determines a lot of things. The holder of that post (Ayatollah Ali Khamenei right now) gets the final say on almost everything with Iranian policy, actually.
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We can argue whether or not he's stupid all day, so why bother?
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It isn't that he is maintaining popularity in Iran, in fact I think it is obvious he won't be around forever in that regard. It is that with every effort by the US and/or Europe to condemn him, it only makes him a more influential figure for anti-Americanism in the Middle East.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The gay community at my school issued an official rebuttal to Ahmandinejad earlier in the week. They simply stated "There is no Iran"

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

The gay community at my school issued an official rebuttal to Ahmandinejad earlier in the week. They simply stated "There is no Iran"

That's a good one.
To be fair, I think that Ahmandinejad may be misrepresented. Judging by the sources that Ujitsuna has presented, I think that Ahmandinejad seems to have been censored quite a bit. Saying "In the name of the Holocaust, they have created a myth" is very far removed from something like "The Holocaust is a myth" and I have never even heard of the left out part about how he said that missles were un-Islamic. I also think that by saying that Iran has no gays like the kind in America can be intepreted to mean that he is either extremely ignorant of gays (which wouldn't be suprising because being convicted of homosexuality constitutes a death penalty by strict Islamic law), he was simply saying that homosexuals in Iran don't behave like homosexuals in America or he really does mean ill will towards them.
On the other hand, I can't say that I'm fond of him. Whether or not he's just spewing these things to incite controversy or he isn't too intelligent is besides the point; I still disagree with some of the things he said and I don't like his stance. However, I don't bother much about him because most of the things he says is probably directed back at the people of Iran anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: