Suikoden Utopian and Informational Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Snowe as a character. (minor spoiler)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

so when do we start making our fan club?
anway as I said, hoping between all 3 convosations brings up topics no one has mentioned, I dont know if someone said it here or not, but when the matter of "did Snowe really get hurt" comes up, some say its all a ploy, and then some mention that he either a) was emotionaly distrought and blanked out, or possilby did think he was in physical pain, or B) "shell shock"

these all could work, I'm not sure about anything but faining incapasity could first put the next in line in command, then he could go and run away. unless my thinking isn't his, then I don't know. its an idea. and I sould stop thinking.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
J2k

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Snowe played his part. Like or hate him, he played a part, and the game woulda missed him if he wasnt in it.
Patriarch

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

{SPOILERS}

Snowe was a looser the entire game i just got him as a star and forgot to save it right before to execute him 100 times. he was only a high up trainie and became commander because of his fathers influence. everything he did he did for himself and no one else. he didn't even seem remorceful when he tried to kill the hero on several occations. personaly i would have spared him in real live but he would not have become my allie he would have been a prisoner until he somehow proved his worth and even then i would never let him become high ranking in the hero's army and he would always be watched. he got the hero exciled tried to kill him betrayed the country he's just a coward with connections like the guy who kidnaped lepants wife in the 1st suikoden game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hey, one thing I don't understand is the whole thing behind Snowe giving Hero4 the tourch for the ceremoney. I mean, what was the -real- intention? was he under too much pressure and wanted to let somone else do it? Did he want to make himself look good by letting his 'friend take the spotlight"? did he wonder what the reactons?

so did he want him to "shine" or did he think he could put him on a pedistool, only to find its wobbly and watch him fall? But it was a botched thing, because he got praise.
i don't know

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe that Snowe was sharing the spotlight with the hero when he allowed him to carry the torch. I don't believe Snowe had any alterior motives at that point in time. Snowe just wanted the hero to experience what it was like to be in his shoes and to be looked at by all the people. He was simply sharing the spotlight at that point. That scene could also symoblize the burden on Snowe to hold the hopes and ambitions of the people.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
OptimisticPessimist

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

84561 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I realise that one of the quotes that I chose to reply to is extremely belated, but here goes anyway...

Everyone's Grudge wrote:
1) He left the Hero and all of his fellow crew members to die in the fight early in the game. I thought that that was truly cowardly. Even though "he couldn't feel his arm", he souldn'thave left. He should have shown maturity and continued the fight. I think Glenn was right in punching Snowe.

Most people who've played the game feel that way. But ultimately we're not him, so it would be unfair to say that he shouldn't have run when we're not put into the situation ourselves. In other words, pot-kettle black. Don't think too badly of him simply because he ran away. He is not the first, he won't be the last.

In any case, it's just part of the storyline. Like it or not, it is just part of the characterisation Snowe has to go through to redeem himself.

Everyone's Grudge wrote:
2) Snowe blamed Glenn's death on the Hero even though he had no evidence. He just blamed it on his best friend. Snowe was really stupid. What is even more stupid is that everyone believed Snowe. The Hero never even had a trial. He was just exiled because one person said he did something. That was very lame.

If you played through the game again, you'll note that in the heat of the incident (Glen's death), Snowe does accuse Hero IV of killing Glen. But later, when he has calmed down and was questioned again by both Lord Vingrhut and Katarina, you note that he gives a clearer (although still fragmented) version of what he saw happen. Unfortunately, I felt that Lord Vingerhut was pressuring his son somehow, because at the end of the scene, you'd note that Snowe goes "..." after Lord Vingerhut's explanation of Hero IV's "motives" for "killing Commander Glen". I like to think that he's struggling with himself, with his guilt.

While I do agree that they should have heard Hero IV's version of the story, but we should remember that the words of the nobility in the Suikoden Era (at least) weigh a lot more than the ordinary peasant (and Hero IV was one in the eyes of Razril). It's the similar to how a young child doesn't dare defy his/her parents, teachers etc, when they make decisions for him/her.

It wasn't very lame, in other words, it was just the way things were done in that period.

kuwaizair wrote:
hey, one thing I don't understand is the whole thing behind Snowe giving Hero4 the tourch for the ceremoney. I mean, what was the -real- intention? was he under too much pressure and wanted to let somone else do it? Did he want to make himself look good by letting his 'friend take the spotlight"? did he wonder what the reactons?

so did he want him to "shine" or did he think he could put him on a pedistool, only to find its wobbly and watch him fall? But it was a botched thing, because he got praise.
i don't know

Well, when you're high up, it's very easy to share the spotlight with your friends. It's also very easy to act generous and magnimous (first scene on ship before naval battle). Don't think too much about it because I don't think it means anything beyond the literal gesture of sharing the spotlight with a friend.

Then again, the creators of the game might have decided that a scene featuring Snowe lighting up all the kindlings would bore us fans to death. :? But don't take that literally - it's just a thought on my part.
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OptimisticPessimist wrote:

Most people who've played the game feel that way. But ultimately we're not him, so it would be unfair to say that he shouldn't have run when we're not put into the situation ourselves. In other words, pot-kettle black. Don't think too badly of him simply because he ran away. He is not the first, he won't be the last.

You have to understand that although many people who hate Snowe would've reacted similarly and run from the fight, that people who play RPG's aren't used to such a realistic reaction of fear before bravery from one of the main characters.

It is a pain in the rear that Snowe was every given control of a ship when he obviously didn't merit it with valor or talent, but with his last name, however, that is the situation that he was put in and not necessarily what he wanted.

Since that first horrible outcome, it's easy to see why he attacks hero and refuses to join him at first, he wants to prove that he is worthy of the last name he inherited and wants to redeem himself as a Gaien Knight. If we're so quick to damn people for the actions they've done in the past then we shouldn't be recruiting people like Kwanda, Milich, Sonya, Kiba, etc. I think that's one of the points that Konami stresses in each game we play. People can change, and a lifetime of treachery should not be enough to condemn a man that truly changes his mind or simply wants to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: