Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Video Game Customs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In RPG's I almost always name my hero Ezekiel. Just a fitting RPG name. For the army in Suikoden, I name it "The Fence" army, which is a Coheed and Cambria reference. Same with the castle, it get's called "Keywork" Castle usually.

In sports like Madden, I always make a team if I can. I name it after the town I grew up in, Waretown. In madden 08, I have the Waretown Warriors. Since the logo's SUCK, I wen't with the spartan helemt. Normally I just do a W. I create me and all my friends, and our stats are way better than they should ever be. That's usually it, I hardly stary too far from games like that. And ones I do, you don't have options like this.

Oh, I always make my brother something lame, like a punter. To show my evil dislike for him.

Moonlight Butterfly

203221 Potch
200 Soldiers
122 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Every nameable character is always named Jesse. It's my real name, and it's an undeniable fact that Megaten games are 10 times as awesome when the main character is named after yourself.

I also talk to every single NPC multiple times at different times during the game just to see if they'll say something different. I once left the final dungeon in Persona 2: Eternal Punishment just so I could talk to everybody again one last time.

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I usually name my characters as either Keynes, Reinhart
Castles/HQ: Kusanagi or Iganasuk
Archrival (in games like pokemon): Expletives or anything derogatory
Hero's love interests are also named as something that is demeaning.
Hero's pet: Expletives as well

In sports games I always prefer to use the lowest ranked team, then I beat the bums who are stupid enough to play and bet against me

Last edited by ferrouslupusrex on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RPGs

First playthrough I normally name the hero one of my nicknames (Nikku, Nickel), but only if there is no official name. If I have a number of characters to make like in SRPGs I'll run through some unusual names that I like, such as:

GUYS
Dimitrius
Chopper (after Chopper Read)
Sigurdr

GIRLS
Francesca
Prudence
Isabella
Gertrude
Katarina

Beyond these initial names I'll start using norse names.

Like Sailor I -always- have female dominated parties. I don't know why (well okay I do) but often I have to step back and pick a male to build up just to get a little gender diversity in my groups.

Another big thing I do in RPGs is underdevelop the hero. I generally favor optional characters especially in SRPGs where the hero doesn't get xp from everything.

SPORTS (Fifa)

I always manage Nottingham Forest, and I always make myself and my mate from college I played football with. I always create a fictional manager name. I prefer taking Forest up through the leagues than starting at the top of the pile. It does get hard to bring the big name players in though, soo little money XD

I've also been known to create my entire home league (New Zealand) right down to mimicing every player's playstyle and balancing the league so that auto results are similar to the actual teams. It seems I don't have to do this in FIFA 08 because they're including the Australia league (my NZ hometown plays in that) in the game! I almost had a heart attack at the news lawl.

CROSSOVERS

I'm pretty bad for this lol - I have made a 'Nottingham' town in the Sims, and I have created every player in the Nottingham Forest team and moved them into houses. I've gone the next step and ensured they're all in the 'sports' career path, and I've created custom clothing to look like the official NFFC merchandise. I also create any players that I transfer into my club in Fifa as Sims and move them in, even going so far as to ensure the Sim version has similar financial power to the player I buy.

This crossover means I can play Fifa and carry events over into the Sims, such as if I score a big win I'll get players together and throw a party. So yeh I'm a bit strange lol.

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me, when playing Final Fantasy games, I always, always come up with some outlandish names for my party. Like just recently when I was playing FFIX for the first time, I named Zidane "Yermom." The internet's made my names even worse. :|

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just noticed another mannerism of mine. For the most part, I have to wear shoes when I play video games. It could be 12:30 AM and I will still be sitting on my couch, rocking my Pumas. I think part of this has to do with the fact that anything can happen when I play, including disturbances like friends begging me to hang out with them. Also, since playing a video game is almost like going on an adventure (to a certain extent), I might as well get into character. What intrepid warrior would go out into the unknown without his or her shoes?

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not overly set in customs I suppose. I nevr ever give my pokemon names, I always name my castle in suikoden as "United" and if there's an elf you can be sure I'm going to give them a try, even if it is against my better judgement

-My DeviantArt-
Caesar

39525 Potch
23 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Video Game Customs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Onimaru wrote:
So what are you video game customs? Do you give you're hero any specific names? In the Suikoden series do you always choose a certain name for you're army/castle? If so, list them and give the reason why.

I don't think I have any customs. I have an obsession with with using default names. I get kind of annoyed when playing Suikoden games when they first come out because most likely their novelization name hasn't been revealed at that point. Mostly, using defaults/novelization names keeps me from having to spend hours/days trying to come up with a name -- a name I'll most likely get sick of within a few hours of playing. I just recently decided on naming nameless protagonists "Vanilla". Seems kind of fitting. I generally prefer not to use my real name, as it doesn't seem all that fitting in a fantasy environment. Actually, if the default name happens to be a Japanese name, I'll most likely change it, which is one of the few times I'll change a protagonist name, the other time being when I think the name just sounds stupid (like Bartz/Butz in Final Fantasy V, I just called him "Pritz").

Generally, when naming my castle/army, I prefer to use colors, or places/people from mythology, if they'll fit, and if they don't have a "default" name. I believe I named the castle in the first Suikoden "Tartarus", but I can't recall what I named the others.
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kind of funny that you mention the Bartz/Butz thing. I have a friend who names all of his hero's BUTZ (all capital) after playing FFV. It annoys me, lol. Everyones got their own way of playing though I guess. And yeah, the default names for suikoden are a big "must do" for me as well.

I hate you Onimaru.
UCPesmerga

The Hidden Foxes

221997 Potch
26 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The first time I play through a game, I try to keep the characters names canon. If I don't have a canon name to use, they're usually some variation of a nickname of mine. (Peej tends to be the overall winner).

In sports games, I always create myself and two of my more awesome roommates from college. I also refuse to play every game of a season, because I feel that ruins the realism of a season (NHL - 1 of every 5 games, NCAA - 1 of 3, and so on...).

Also, the first time through an RPG, I read every little bit of text, talk to every single NPC 2 or 3 times, just to get all those little flavor elements.
Shagami

Magatsuhi

134625 Potch
10 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For Naming I always name every male Marron xD
My castle is always usually Ruintsuya (in some way)
Army Magatsuhi

All my pokemon in pokemon game need a I at the end xD
im just werid i guess xD

and i always usually use male characters even tho im female IRL
most female characters are a tad bit "Slutty" sometimes.

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
and i always usually use male characters even tho im female IRL
Ah but the men are usually pretty, so it's ok. We get some good eye candy. ^_^
Zangetsu

Getsuga

209279 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

omg. yeah i know the feeling Oni. I believe the very first rpg I played was Lunar Silver Star Story complete, ever since them I've used the name Alex, or Hero. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: