Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Kriegspiel Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

OJ Simpson- In it again.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: OJ Simpson- In it again. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3026122

For those of you who haven't heard, OJ got in it again. This time, he is charged with 10 felonies in connection with robbing a memorabilia collector to get his things back.

So what does this mean? If he's convicted, he could spend the rest of his life in prison, something that some had clamored for before.

In addition to this cluster, the parents of Ron Goldman, who, in case the name isn't familiar, was the second individual killed along with Simpson's Ex-Wife, Nicole, back in '94, have sued for the memorabilia. Simpson owed them a lot of money for when they won their wrongful death suit against him, and they want the memorabilia, claiming that Simpson has been sitting on a gold mine while refusing to pay them back. The judge dismissed the case, but told them to return in a week with a list of the memorabilia.

What intrigues me about this, however, isn't about this directly. Do any of you think it will be possible for the guy to get a fair trial? Think about it, this is a guy who was involved in a very, very high profile case where he was accused of murdering his wife and Goldman. That's his legacy. Now, here he is in this case, is it possible for the lawyers to find enough jurors who can give this guy a fair shake?

Even with his legacy, it's his right to a fair trial, could he possibly get one after so many people wanted to see him punished in his murder trial?
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a tough thing. As you say, he deserves a fair trial as much as any fresh-to-the-dock first time criminal does, but I have to admit that his history re~ally predisposes me to think he is guilty right off the bat.
It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: OJ Simpson- In it again. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Amyral wrote:

Even with his legacy, it's his right to a fair trial, could he possibly get one after so many people wanted to see him punished in his murder trial?

Doubtful that he will get a fair trial. I have watched all of the major news outlets today and, if it is any indication, OJ is screwed. Of course, there is one guy who said he was set up due to the fact that there was a microphone in the room. But who knows, Amyral?

Although I am not the guy's biggest fan, Nancy Grace aired a recording last night of the events from 1994 (pretty bush league stuff). In this day and age with major media corporations, that is REALLY pushing it if you ask me.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This showed that he was indeed capable of commiting violent crimes. He's fucked, and I would hope they bring up the charges of murder on him again.

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Too bad for those pesky double jeopardy laws.

Technically, how would it be possible to bring him to trial? I mean, you can't possibly find a jury that knows nothing about him or his past, so every jury is going to have preconceived notions. Yeah, I know the idea of an impartial jury is laughable. Anyways, he's screwed, it's just a matter of degree.

~Uguu!~
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wait wait wait, the Goldmans won a wrongful death suite against him? How did they pull that off???

I hate you Onimaru.
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HarmonianHiccup wrote:
This is a tough thing. As you say, he deserves a fair trial as much as any fresh-to-the-dock first time criminal does, but I have to admit that his history re~ally predisposes me to think he is guilty right off the bat.
It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

Then you would be asked to quietly leave the jury, candidate 3 xD

I think he will get a fair trial, he's got cash so he can get fancy lawyers that can patronize the way the possible jurors will act and eliminate them as they see fit (If they are biased)

Maybe I believe in people too much?
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Futch wrote:
I think he will get a fair trial, he's got cash so he can get fancy lawyers that can patronize the way the possible jurors will act and eliminate them as they see fit (If they are biased)

He doesn't have cash like he used to. He lost a civil suit to the Goldman's that pretty much has him living only on his own NFL pension. Any money he gets from endorsements, appearance fees, sales of memorabilia and autograph signing go to the Goldman family. If he does end up hiring high-priced lawyers like he did during his murder trial then he will have to explain how he can afford it and where he got the money. I can assure you that his NFL pension won't allow him to afford another Dream Team of defense attorneys.

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My sister met him in Vegas right before all this crap went down. I am teasing her into trying to sell her story. Not that there is one.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd say it is impossible to fin anyone who is suitable as a juror by now. People were already extremely upset that O.J Simpson 'got away with murder' the last time around, and now that he has been caught in the act of attempting to steal his own memorabilia from someone else whom it rightfully belongs to now (seriously), I too am inclined to think that he won't be able to get a fair trial. All other things aside, I remember hearing about the previous case and I was highly surprised that he was cleared of the charge for murder.
Quote:

Now that you mentioned this, I remember reading in my Mass Communication textbook that someone's reputation and case had been so heavily publicized during his trial that the judges were forced to release him because they couldn't give him a fair trial. I'd say that this worries me, because he should still be tried on the basis of this current conviction of armed robbery, but it's reasonable to expect that pretty much any member of the jury is likely to pronounce him gulity simply because of his previous crime.

Quote:

Perhaps, but as already pointed out, he doesn't have much money now and it's going to be tough for these lawyers to find jurors that will be lessed biased towards their client. If I was a lawyer, this would be the kind of case I'd hate to touch.

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fact is I could never be a juror for OJ myself. I live here in Vegas, but I think I'm too Opinionated. hell, I'm probably too opinionated to ever be a juror. I'd rather he honest like that than lie to myself xD Anyway. Yeah, I heard about all this going down when it did. Living in Vegas meant that it ended up on the local news stations like...constantly and instantly.

As far as anyone actually KNOWS he doesn't have the kind of money to hire another super squad of defense attorneys. Otherwise he'd have to pay of the Goldman's like he was supposed to do ages ago, right? So he's in a bad place. It would take an ASSload of explaining if he tried to hire another super Attorney...so overall...

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Futch

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, If he doesn't have cash then I'll just have to believe that the jury will judge him for his deeds in this incident and not by those that have had already gone to trial.

Please oh please don't spit on the legal system U.S! =(

Quote:
If I was a lawyer, this would be the kind of case I'd hate to touch.

I would kill for a case like this! Believe it or not. If the jury is completely biased you can sure as hell believe he'll get a mistrial. And in the U.S the law gets but one shot at each case, meaning he can't get judged because of the same crap twice (After a mistrial).

Fuck, this kind of crap excites me, I'm severely damaged. xD
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He can always end up having a bench trial instead of a jury trial. Bench trial will mean that the case will be tried before a judge who will weigh the arguments and evidence from both the prosecution and the defense. It will be the judge who will make the ultimate decision of guilty or not guilty. No jury will be necessary.

Getsuga

209279 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just think it was dumb on his part to do something like this. I mean come on the guy DOES have a past. It just seems like the guy would have been smarter.. sigh
Futch

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
He can always end up having a bench trial instead of a jury trial. Bench trial will mean that the case will be tried before a judge who will weigh the arguments and evidence from both the prosecution and the defense. It will be the judge who will make the ultimate decision of guilty or not guilty. No jury will be necessary.

Ah, the system is quite different over here so I didn't know that! Thanks Tullaryx!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: