Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Kosher Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

More Racial Diversity in Role Playing Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Then how come you even dare to conclude that the (hypothetical) African RPG developer as discriminating white people just because they don't feature white people in the game? If the role of the skin color variety was simply for diversity and eye-candy purpose, your reaction would only be "Ah, this game doesn't have much variety in the characters' skin color, it's boring". Yet, your reaction was to condemn them as racists.

They should have included whites to symbolize us all-humans. Besides, if African game makers included whites in their RPGs, then that shows that they also remember Europeans, Japanese, and Chinese. We all live in one planet, so why not show interaction between whites and blacks in games more? If i'm African, i don't care if the main character is white, as long as there are other black characters too.

Quote:

We do understand that. What you must understand is that RPG is meant to be a game because it's a video game, not real life.

Having moral lessons in RPGs would teach future generations not to be racists. You assume that game makers care about profits, but there are some that really care about spreading messages, like Grandia 2's and FFX's Anti-God messages. Yeah, it's just a game, but in Malaysia, Islam does not condone movies and games that has a storyline that says God or supreme beings don't exist. Some politicians here have mentioned it, and Brunei has banned Constantine for showing the angel Jibril (Gabriel ), talking to a human like Constantine. But Malaysia is mature enough to not ban such games and movies, and as a Muslim, i realize that Grandia 2, FFX, and Constantine are fiction and not intended to insult any religion. In fact, i as a Muslim finds that playing and watching such entertainment does not lower my faith in God.

Quote:

If it's only for eye candy and variety issue, then you're not going to come up with good quality product. You'd end up creating black, white, green, red, yellow, brown, blue skinned characters just for the sake of having eye candy and variety of skin color rather than having a reason on why such characters are needed in the game.

Suikoden 3 is a good example of an RPG that sells well and still has diversity in skin color. I hope more outstanding games like Suiko 3 is created that has a lot of variety in skin color but yet has characters that all of us like and good sales around the world.

Quote:

Congratulations, you'd end up with a freak show kind of game that no one would want to play because they can't relate to such thing. Wow, a place where ALL different kind of human races, and non-human races live in ONE same place peacefully. x_x Look, the main character is black, but he has a white lover just because we have no white character yet. Then his best friend is yellow because we don't have yellow character yet. Ooh, his mother can be green so that we have all colors, etc.

Same place? :lol: Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!! Of course, they all don't live in the same place! Example: The hero is white, lives in a glacier-like area, then he travels around the world and blacks, elves, and other cool characters joins the party. What is freaky about that if you can have a party like Hugo, Fubar, and lizards in Suiko 3. What's wrong with having friends among people of different skin color, as long as they are good, kind, and cool :D . And GREEN humans!!! :lol: If there are ever to be green characters, then it should come from non-humans. Ooo.... Freaky green humans from space has come, run for your lives!!! :lol:

Quote:

You don't even need a degree to start up a game company. You need money, lots of money, and simply hire everyone with your lots of money. You can even hire someone with Masters in Business Administration to replace you if you want to. It's mostly about the money.

Good. So, first, i gain experience and money by working at a company, than when i've got more money, i can set up a game company. I 'll make an RPG that features playable characters ranging from charcoal black to pale white, and the integral part of the storyline is how they would work together to overcome their differences and team up to beat the evil enemy, like in Arc The Lad:TOTS.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Beethoven4567 wrote:
They should have included whites to symbolize us all-humans.

And just because they didn't include white doesn't mean that they are racist. It's not a two-way street. Say if I punch you, you cry. But if you cry, that doesn't mean that I punch you. It could mean that another person kicks you or something. So while a racist discriminates a certain race, a certain race being left out in a game doesn't necessarily mean that the developers are racist.

Quote:
We all live in one planet, so why not show interaction between whites and blacks in games more?

Because the game is mainly targeted for Japanese/African/whatever players and not for the whole wide world. Whenever you want to sell a product or service, you must know your main target market and focuses your product or service to suit your target market. I'll use an analogy.

If you open a restaurant in the area where not many rich people are there, you wouldn't open a restaurant that charge $5 just for mineral water because no one would be willing to pay that kind of money. Instead, you might open a fish n chips shop. While it's better to serve high quality food, there's no point on doing so if you're not going to get customers.

Same thing with the game. While it's nice to produce a game with racial diversity and all that, it wouldn't sell well in Japan due to the fact that they aren't familiar with black culture. So that's your reason on why they wouldn't want to show more interaction between black and white characters. Because it's not anything interesting to them, and not going to sell well.

Quote:
Having moral lessons in RPGs would teach future generations not to be racists.

It's really sad if we rely on RPGs to teach future generations not to be racist, isn't it? You said it yourself that most of the RPGs are dominated by white character. But are the people here racists? No, they aren't. Again, while it's nice and dandy to have an RPG that promotes racial equality, if it doesn't sell, it won't be created.

Quote:
You assume that game makers care about profits,

I don't assume. I know they do. Every non non-profit business is out for profits.

Quote:
but there are some that really care about spreading messages, like Grandia 2's and FFX's Anti-God messages.

So now you're saying that Square-Enix (or Squaresoft) is all about promoting Anti-God messages through FFX and don't care about making profit? Doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Yeah, it's just a game, but in Malaysia, <snip>

There you go, your biggest mistake all throughout this thread. You always compare it to what happened in Malaysia. Well guess what? The games weren't created in Malaysia, and not mainly targeted for Malaysians. You can't keep on expecting Japanese to be like Malaysians because they have different culture than you.

Quote:
Same place? :*laugh*: Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!! Of course, they all don't live in the same place! Example: The hero is white, lives in a glacier-like area, then he travels around the world and blacks, elves, and other cool characters joins the party.

This is what I meant. You'd end up stereotyping characters. White from glacier like area. Black from deserts. And so on. In the end, it's a freak show.

Quote:
What is freaky about that if you can have a party like Hugo, Fubar, and lizards in Suiko 3.

Suikoden III's diversity is not freaky because they are done within reasons. On the other hand, you said that you want to create an RPG that has characters ranging from charcoal black to pale white (or in other words, every single color). So your game would be full of extremes while Suikoden III wasn't.

Quote:
like in Arc The Lad:TOTS.

Why not just play Arc The Lad: TOTS again instead?

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As Arcana has stated, the horse is dead. Thread closed.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: