Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Grandia Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah it seems Grandia 3 has some high potential to go far, and hopefully success booms afterwards and the series has life anew and only more sequels come out later on. Yeah a Lunar 3 would be great, as the first two were quite excellent, even still to this day for me even though they may be seen as a little outdated. RPG revivals are always good, lets hope we continue to receive old favorites made on the PS2 (Vandal Hearts 3, Lunar 3, Final Fantasy Tactics 3 (well it would not be #3 but a third installment...) but we can only hope.

After I start/finish my Suikothon, I think I might do likewise for Grandia 1/2/Xtreme and play them all again in waiting for Grandia 3 to refresh my memory and get myself hyped for the new sequel. But the news of Grandia 3 is excellent for me because I seriously thought Grandia Xtreme was the end of the series and we would never see another installment again. How glad I am that I was wrong. I only hope I am wrong about certain other dead series that may one day be restored as well...
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

But the news of Grandia 3 is excellent for me because I seriously thought Grandia Xtreme was the end of the series and we would never see another installment again.

Traz, Grandia Xtreme was developed to target the hardcore 'level-up' type of gamers that cares only about battles with no interest in a good storyline. Grandia Xtreme has never been part of the 'core' Grandia games like 1 and 2.

In other words, Xtreme is just like a 'gaiden' of the Grandia series, much like Suikogaiden which is not part of the core Suikoden games. So, it would be pretty naive for anyone to assume that Grandia Xtreme is the end of the series.

Like i said before, those that hated dungeon-crawlers need not play Xtreme. Otherwise, you will not enjoy it and would waste money. I am saying this to ensure Grandia fans that hated Xtreme not to shy away from Grandia 3 since part 3 is not a dungeon crawler and it is your conventional RPG with a balanced time on storyline and battles.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well considering these days if any game in a series does not do too well and has a vast majority of players who did not like it, that alone can be enough to kill a series unless it was from a rather 'famous' or popular series where it could be forgiven (say Final Fantasy and Suikoden, thank god.). And it all usually boils down to sales as well, so us Grandia fans are quite lucky to receive another Grandia installment.
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

And it all usually boils down to sales as well, so us Grandia fans are quite lucky to receive another Grandia installment.

Don't worry Traz, Game Arts is a famous RPG maker in Japan, and there are many Grandia fans all over the world to ensure continuity of the Grandia series. Let's all hope that the Grandia series lives long like the Final Fantasy series, eh :D ?
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nothing wrong with that. Did anyone ever play Grandia: Parallel Trippers for the Gameboy Color? What was that like and how did it play? It was like a dungeon crawler right? One good thing I heard about it was that some of the characters from Grandia 1 were in it, and Justin helped you out a bit with information and such or something like that.

Actually looking through the Gamefaqs site I noticed this is the complete Grandia game listing (that I found anyway):

Grandia 1 (Saturn/PSX)

Grandia Digital Museum (Saturn, supposed be a bonus disc and a form of an expansion pack for the first Grandia)

Grandia: Parallel Trippers (GBC)

Grandia 2 (DC/PS2/PC)

Grandia Xtreme (PS2)

and last but not least... Grandia 3 (PS2, TBA for US)

So if anyone has some comparisons and/or knows the extras between the different Grandia versions (Grandia 1 for Saturn/PSX, and the three Grandia 2 formats.) if there are any that is.
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do any of you guys here know who's composing the music for Grandia III? I hope it is the same guy that made Grandia 2's music, Noriyuki Iwadare. I also hope there is a good vocal song in GIII.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Iwadare was also responsible for Grandia I. He had some great tunes in Number 1 that were rather buthered in Grandia II. I didn't enjoy Grandia II's music that much. If you listen to the two OSV's, there's such a dramatic difference in the scope.
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
Iwadare was also responsible for Grandia I. He had some great tunes in Number 1 that were rather buthered in Grandia II. I didn't enjoy Grandia II's music that much. If you listen to the two OSV's, there's such a dramatic difference in the scope.

Really? In my humble opinion, the music in Grandia II is way better than the music in the first game. The Grandia Original Soundtrack is good, but it can not compare to 2's powerful and uplifting tracks like A Deus, Cancao Do Povo, Valmar Boss Battle and the Final Boss Music.
kagematsuri

Cannon Fodder

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blackjack wrote:
Grandia III in production

Please, please, please let the main character be a sarcastic jerk like Ryudo. But above that, please do not have the main female be an annoying Mary Sue.

Ha, fat chance. I'm still buying this when it comes out though.

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I only played Grandia 1 and not Grandia 2 or Grandia Extreme. From what I've been hearing, is 2 the best and Extreme is garbage? If that's so I'll have to pick up number 2 someday and play it.

I place Grandia 1 really high in my all time RPG list. I'm not sure, but I think it was the colorful and interesting characters in that game. Rapp's portrait sometimes had him picking his nose. Sue was always so cheery. And many other portraits to name.

I beat the game, but I still have a save file with Justin, Guido, and Rapp before they take on the Female Generals. That was one of of favorite fights of all time. Somewhat challenging if I don't use "Dragon King Slice" Besides, Mio's cute. I didn't like Justin as a main character, though. He acts like a 7 year old. (which is not a bad thing, it's just he LOOKS like one to boot)

But with this new Grandia coming out, I expect good things from it. Hopefully we won't all be dissapointed.

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I only played Grandia 2, and it becomes one of my fav. RPG. But there's something that really annoy me from the RPG.

SPOILERS ALERT :

Ryudo's total change of personality in the 2/3 part of the games is really annoy me. It comes out as very unnatural. The other things is Ryudo's inconsistensy for always choosing the middle way showed us a lack of determination.

I also really didn't like when Millenia was alive again, that she's actually inside of Elena. That is one of the worst plot I've ever seen in an RPG. This is not a child's tale where every good character comes alive again.

While I like the epilogue, I really didn't like the ending. The scene of Winged Elena and Millenia with Ryudo in the middle is very Disney-like, but in the bad way.

SPOILERS ENd.

But I still like the game, and I remember falling in love with Elena :mrgreen:

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Ryudo's total change of personality in the 2/3 part of the games is really annoy me. It comes out as very unnatural. The other things is Ryudo's inconsistensy for always choosing the middle way showed us a lack of determination.

He changed near the end of the game because he has gotten rid of the things that have haunted him for a long time-Melfice. Melfice was freed from being Valmar's pawn, and he rested in peace. That made Ryudo more at peace with himself, and he changed all of his negative attitudes to positive attitudes.

In my opinion, Millenia is better than Elena. Why? Because Elena is naive and ignorant, while Millenia is cool, happy-go-lucky, and more fun to be around with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: