Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Tactical RPG Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

UberYuber wrote:
Kohaku wrote:

How about Front Mission. I'm a SNES veteran gamer, but sadly I haven't played the old FM 1 and 2. The later two proves themselves to be the best mecha tactical RPG IMO, well, at least better than Vanguard bandits.

Well there really isn't any competition in that department.. is there?? (mech tactical)

Ring of Red can go pound-for-pound, in my opinion, with any of the best current generation mech tactical RPGs. And quite possibly beat them too.

Konami pulled out all the stops with it, trust me. Brilliant game.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

J-LAY wrote:

Ring of Red can go pound-for-pound, in my opinion, with any of the best current generation mech tactical RPGs. And quite possibly beat them too.

Amazing.. and when I heard about Front Mission IV, I had never really heard of any of the previous Front Missions. Up 'til now, I'd never heard of any other mech tactical game. I guess that's kinda the same way how no one really knows about Suikoden and you have to say the name to them like 50 times, before they understand what you're saying.

I'm sure there are hordes of other ones too... if you've played them how do they rate? You say Ring of Red is good, but have you played Front Mission 3, because from what I've heard it's the best?? Anyone??

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While I wouldn't wish to talk down Front Mission, especially number 3, as they are indeed probably the best mech tactical RPGs. Having played both, I'd say that Ring of Red puts up a good match, especially in terms of story-line, but if it comes to straight-out quality, I'd give Front Mission the edge in the end.

So anyway, comparison time.

Story
Ring of Red - Set in an alternative universe. The whole concept of the game is that Japan did not surrender after the dropping of the two atomic bombs in World War II and instead dragged out the war until an Allied invasion forced a surrender. The division of the country (like Germany) and the political struggles between the two as well as behind the scenes power-brokering between NATO and the USSR form the backdrop for Ring of Red. Pretty text-heavy and its a lot like Vandal Hearts, a set-up scene and then being able to 'select' locations before heading out on a mission. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Front Mission 3 - Set in the future, and like Ring of Red, you're a test pilot for a new set of Mechs. There is a complex and interwoven backstory, which very well might intimidate some players, but if you learn a little about it, it increases your enjoyment of the game immensely. It's prettier than Ring of Red's, more actual scenes and the like while Ring of Red is more text-dump heavy. It's also more interactive, with two paths to go down.

Anyway, that's the part I really care about. Hah. In terms of graphics, well, Ring of Red is a Playstation 2 game and Front Mission 3 is a PSone title. I think we can reach an obvious conclusion here and now.

Both have pretty easy to figure out battle systems. Ring of Red's being made up of turn-based moving of mechs and then real-time battle. Ring of Red is more straightforward, you're constantly manuvering your mech to get the best distance and range while also ordering your ground troops as well as loading, aiming and firing your main weapon. Front Mission is a lot similar, I suppose, as well.

Anyway, in conclusion, Front Mission is much less linear than Ring of Red, which really hurts Konami's effort. But it's superb political storyline, length of missions (two hours each a lot of the time) and it's skillful, but never cheap AI help it keep up with Front Mission in the quality race.

It's been a long time since I've played any Front Mission (I don't any of the ones I've played) so my memories of them are a bit fuzzy and skewed hence the lack of detail on its part.

In summary, in my opinion: Front Mission is a lot more non-linear and open-ended in terms of customisation and the like. But Ring of Red's story-line as well as, in my view, slightly better battle system, allows it to keep up.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Anamanaguchi

1109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Growlanser... is a very challenging game. Unless you FAQ your way thru it like a wuss. Some of the missions are II can be very very hard, and any little thing you screw up on can lead you to a quick game over, leveling up doesn't even make the difference on some missions, it's how you use your mind and your actions.. III has a lot more to do when it comes to side quests and bosses. The 7 Titans are quite the challenge. Well the first few are pushovers, but the last is pretty hard. I realize a lot of people do not play this game. This has to be one of the most amazing games. I can't recall an TacticsRPG or a regular RPG that let you side with the bad guys and kill your allies, to get a different ending. That was really cool. I pray to Allah that Growlanser IV releases in the U.S. I'd have to give this game a 10 out of 10.
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OOOB!, don't mock my game :( in fact I really enjoy playing FM 4....

Anyway, no one here play Brigandine? I forgot to put that inmy last post. The game is really good, lots of classes, and most of all, the character design is very pretty. I like how they wrote background for every playable human character. And later, character like Iria and Cador had pretty nice development storywise. Personally, I like to used the kingdom Iscalio (I'm pretty sure that Iscalio in this forum got his name from here).

There's Brigandine Grand Edition, which is not translated. It serves as expansion pack, or deluxe edition, or whatever. It's a lot better than the standard Brigandine, IMO for some reasons.

Amanaguchi wrote:
I pray to Allah that Growlanser IV releases in the U.S

Does that mean that you're a Muslim too? if so, Assalamualaikum.

1109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Amanaguchi wrote:
I pray to Allah that Growlanser IV releases in the U.S

Kohaku wrote:

Does that mean that you're a Muslim too? if so, Assalamualaikum.

(Only Joking)
BTW, It's Anamanaguchi.
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kohaku wrote:

OOOB!, don't mock my game in fact I really enjoy playing FM 4....

hehe... sorry to mock and I'm sorry to hear that. I figured the world would be ending when someone liked that game. Either I was wrong or the end is near.

There were actually some fun points in the battles, but the fact that some take FOREVER to do is just awful. I'm pretty sure I had one fight take 3 hours. 3 HOURS!! The massive boards are annoying as it can take 4 full turns just to make it to someone to attack. That's not a problem, except that a lot of the time there are thiry mechs on the battleground. That sounds cool too... but if you have to wait for 30 people to move and then take action before you can get your second turn... you can easily see it taking 10 minutes before you even get to fight once you're in a battle... then you also have to figure that the entire enemy's forces are not moving towards you and you still have to trek to the next guy after you kill the first guy... ARGHGH!!!

I'm not even going to begin to talk about that story line in detail because I'm afraid the memories will cause my head to bleed.

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been playing Phantom Brave lately, but it is sorta overwhelming with all the customization and all, and doing random dungeons over and over does get kind of exhausting. :roll:
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Anyway, no one here play Brigandine? I forgot to put that inmy last post. The game is really good, lots of classes, and most of all, the character design is very pretty. I like how they wrote background for every playable human character. And later, character like Iria and Cador had pretty nice development storywise. Personally, I like to used the kingdom Iscalio (I'm pretty sure that Iscalio in this forum got his name from here).

I love this game and have been trying to find another copy since that fatal day, when I accidentally drove my knee through it and cracked it. I didn't see it on the floor when all of a sudden I heard that horrible crack. To get back on topic though I really love this game and have beat it numerous times with every character you can use.

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I really look forward to playing all these new TRPG's when they are released, and since this particular gaming industry is just doing so well these days I can only expect even more to come...*cough Vandal Hearts 3 cough*. Anyhow here is a list of upcoming TRPG's and strategy games coming out in the near future:

Stella Deus - PS2: May (I have been getting more and more into this game, it just looks quite good and the English website made it seem impressive).

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - GBA: May (Looks nice as usual for any Fire Emblem game, and would only improve on the previous FE released on the GBA).

Fire Emblem: Trail of Blue Flames - Gamecube: Several months( Graphics look quite good, considering it is on a console and all, where they often leave plenty to be desired. You would think them being in 3D would ruin the experience when they have mostly always been more cartoon esque (as some felt about Suikoden 3/4) but I like them. The gameplay still the classic format we all enjoy which is great).

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana - PS2: May (Another nice and promising TRPG because...)

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana 2 - PS2: May in Japan (This proves the first game must have done well as we are (blessed?) with another installment so soon as the first game was only released in Japan late 2004. But I am happy it did well which must mean the game is at least half decent. I hope the first Atelier does well in the US and such and we get the second one later some time this year without too much fuss.

Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time - PS2: ??? (It is good to know we are getting the next Growlanser, hey I still have to get/play Growlanser Generations so there is no rush, for me anyway. So many fine TRPG's to play, so little time...

Makai Kingdom (formally known as Phantom Kingdom): Chronicles of the Sacred Tome- PS2: Mid July (Yet another great Nippon Ichi installment that makes its way over to the US and possibly UK/PAL countries later on sometime. By the time I get through La Pucelle, Disgaea, Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom I don't doubt there will be yet another NI TRPG for me to play. I hope they keep up the good work and inspire many other game companies to get into this genre of games).

Advance Wars: Under Fire - Gamecube: Mid August (I am eager to see how the old 'Famicom Wars' plays out on the Gamecube. I bet the graphics will be rather decent, and not only do we get this game there is another one coming out on the DS I believe.)

Well that is all the TRPG's coming out in the near future that I know of, unless I have hit a mental blank. So if anyone else knows of more TRPG's coming out on any game system please feel free to add them. Things are definitely looking good for Strategy RPG's...keep em' coming I say.
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anamanaguchi wrote:

Growlanser... is a very challenging game. Unless you FAQ your way thru it like a wuss. Some of the missions are II can be very very hard, and any little thing you screw up on can lead you to a quick game over, leveling up doesn't even make the difference on some missions, it's how you use your mind and your actions

I personally didn't find either Growlanser 2 or 3 to be challenging. I didn't use an FAQ while I was playing them either. In fact I contributed to them while they were being written. I suppose if you are going for a perfect game it could be difficult though. I did find Growlanser 1 to be a little challenging though......of course I had no idea what I was doing since I couldn't read anything. I ended up cheating becuase of my lack of understanding of what was going on.

Crono wrote:

I've been playing Phantom Brave lately, but it is sorta overwhelming with all the customization and all, and doing random dungeons over and over does get kind of exhausting.

Phantom Brave is a strong game as far game systems go(even if the story is not the greatest). However it does get overwhelming very quickly if you try to maximize your group to the best that you can.

Quote:

Stella Deus - PS2: May (I have been getting more and more into this game, it just looks quite good and the English website made it seem impressive).

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - GBA: May (Looks nice as usual for any Fire Emblem game, and would only improve on the previous FE released on the GBA).

Fire Emblem: Trail of Blue Flames - Gamecube: Several months( Graphics look quite good, considering it is on a console and all, where they often leave plenty to be desired. You would think them being in 3D would ruin the experience when they have mostly always been more cartoon esque (as some felt about Suikoden 3/4) but I like them. The gameplay still the classic format we all enjoy which is great).

I am really looking forward to all three of these games as well. I have only heard a little about Stella Deus, but it is being published by Atlus so it should be good.

For The Sacred Stones, I absolutely loved Fire Emblem 7(just Fire Emblem every where but Japan) especially the support conversations. I am so glad that those are going to be returning in this one. They remind me a lot of the basic premise of Fire Emblem 4.

For Trial of Blue Flames, I really hope they do this game right. It has a lot of potential, but could be messed up easily. I haven't been keeping track of this game too much though. Once again I hope they have support conversations or something that is the same concept.

Quote:

Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time - PS2: ??? (It is good to know we are getting the next Growlanser, hey I still have to get/play Growlanser Generations so there is no rush, for me anyway. So many fine TRPG's to play, so little time...

Makai Kingdom (formally known as Phantom Kingdom): Chronicles of the Sacred Tome- PS2: Mid July (Yet another great Nippon Ichi installment that makes its way over to the US and possibly UK/PAL countries later on sometime. By the time I get through La Pucelle, Disgaea, Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom I don't doubt there will be yet another NI TRPG for me to play. I hope they keep up the good work and inspire many other game companies to get into this genre of games).

Growlanser 4 is confirmed to be being translated? I really hope that it is and you aren't just assuming it will be coming out here. I love the Growlanser series and hope that four lives up to the others.

I hadn't heard of Makai Kingdom before. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it because Nippon Ichi has made some really good games in the past.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Anamanaguchi

1109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Crono wrote:
Growlanser 4 is confirmed to be being translated? I really hope that it is and you aren't just assuming it will be coming out here. I love the Growlanser series and hope that four lives up to the others.

I hope that he isn't assuming either.. I e-mailed Patsy Rose from Working Designs.. i've gotten the same answer all the time "We have to see what the developer in Japan has planned for it". Growlanser IV definately already looks like it's going to surpass the others. I saw a few clips, it already looks funner than the others. Here is a nice animation scene you should all check out at Atlus Japan's website: http://www.atlus.co.jp/cs/game/pstation2/gl4/index.html
Click the link between the "charactor" and "news" in japanese lettering. There will be a popup. There will be a box on the upper right corner with two links. Click the one on top in all Japanese lettering.. Very beautiful animation this game has so far.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well either way the game is out for importation, but it is listed on some sites and on gamefaqs it is in the list for the US but either the system glitched or something, because they have written no date in but we can safely assume it will be coming out sometime this year. They may be slow to release confirmations and like to keep people in the loop for a long time, but don't get your hopes down because sometimes 'miracles' happen and we get what we want (Grandia 3, Suikoden 5, Dragon Force PS2 Remake etc).

And since Atlus release pretty decent titles for the US, and they are releasing more and more great TRPG, they will definitely cash in on the next Growlanser. If TRPG's were not being produced so rapidly these days then you could worry yourselves all you wanted, but times have changed and you just wait, more news shall develop soon enough. I don't really think there should be any rush though as there are plenty of fine RPG's/TRPG's we can occupy our time with while we wait.
Anamanaguchi

1109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah.. I reserved Stella Deus in full amount. I am definately going to enjoy that game. I have been looking foward to it.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah (me being from Australia) I am planning on making a big order for importation from the US for a good load of games soon, but I don't think I am going to wait until Stella Deus and a few others are out as I want to make an order today or tomorrow. Not really a worry for me because I have received a steady amount of cash recently, and it is no problem nor bother for me to simply make another order later next month. I am still not getting over how well for TRPG industry is doing these days, and can just imagine how many fine games of this genre we are going to be blessed with before 2006. I really hope some news develops of a Vandal Hearts 3 for PS2 before then though, it is my number one wish.

It is good for the most part since TRPG's are doing well in the US and such we are now no longer being excluded from so many gems of the genre. I think if things had been this well back in the days of the PSOne we would have had so many more games to chose from for the old system. Let us hope things stay this way for a great deal longer. Oh and a new generation Tactics Ogre may arise if we keep our hopes up as well, I could see it happening.

I have been playing Saiyuki: Journey West of late, it is still one of my top 3 Strategy RPG's on Playstation. I suppose that order is not too tough to fill since we don't even really have many TRPG's for PS1 in the first place...but moving on. This game looks and plays so well on my PS2 and looks and sounds even better on my 109cm surround sound TV. There are still many RPG's on lots of consoles I have yet to try out on my nice TV, and everything looks so bigger (surprisingly). It makes even a game I hate look good, and influences me to play it until the end.

Yeah the next Fire Emblem for GBA does look pretty good, not that I had any problems with the one before it. The story sounds good, and the battle system is still as great as the last game so I have no complaints. And yes Ranadiel I too hope they can pull off the Gamecube Fire Emblem well enough to make us all enjoy it, and you are right the game does have good potential but could just as easily be messed up if the makers of the game are not careful. Let us hope they have no problems and we get another great TRPG. Still have to get a Gamecube...oh well these days they pretty much come free with a Happy Meal at McDonalds haha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: