Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

California signs law banning teens from texting and driving
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gil-galad wrote:
You mean it wasn't already illegal? It's stupid not to have such a law. Anyone under the age of 18, or anyone who has only had their license for under 1 year, is prohibited from using their cell phone at all while driving cars in Virginia.

The same law exists in North Carolina. It has been in effect for over a year now, I think, but I have never once heard of somebody getting caught for it. It is a great law, but it is difficult to enforce.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tony Stark wrote:
Gil-galad wrote:
You mean it wasn't already illegal? It's stupid not to have such a law. Anyone under the age of 18, or anyone who has only had their license for under 1 year, is prohibited from using their cell phone at all while driving cars in Virginia.

The same law exists in North Carolina. It has been in effect for over a year now, I think, but I have never once heard of somebody getting caught for it. It is a great law, but it is difficult to enforce.

Very true. Cars should come installed with cell phone jammers. XD (that was a joke, mind you)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In California enforcing it is much easier since there's a huge amount of local, state and highway police on the roads. Many of the major cities in the state have also installed redlight and speeding cameras which can easily take pictures of the driver in addition to the license plate when they activate. In fact, the cameras are set to be angled to see the driver in addition to the license plate so there's no mistake when the ticket is sent out.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't understand why it only applies to that age group though, even if there are less adults that do it, there will be some that do, and in that sense they are just as much of a threat on the roads as teenagers.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was how the law was written up by one of the state senators. I'm assuming he had teens of his own and was a tad focused in keeping them safe first and foremost when he wrote the law.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
It was how the law was written up by one of the state senators. I'm assuming he had teens of his own and was a tad focused in keeping them safe first and foremost when he wrote the law.

But he'd be doing the same thing yet better if it covered all ages...
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not saying you are wrong. I'm just saying he probably wasn't thinking about that when he drew up the bill to be signed into law. He was thinking about how reports and studies showed teenagers dying due to gadget usage during driving causing a lot of accidents. I'm sure if he thought about it now he'd re-do it, but that's a whole different bill altogether.

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Target the worst offenders. Since when is it a bad thing to target the worst drivers in the world, teenagers? Yeah, they're horrible, and there's proof of it. Deny it all you'd like, but they're bad. The next step is to make up a bill limiting the driving of old people. Thing is, old people aren't big on the cell phone usage or texting. So, as such, there was no need to include them in this. Now, if you want to introduce a bill that states drivers must retake the driving exam every 10 years, then fine. Actually, I think that's genius. My god, I'm so damn smart. You should all agree that I should be the next President of the United States. I have a lot more great ideas, but it'll cost you 50,000 potch to hear them. Yeah, my newsletter is expenisve :P

~Uguu!~
Watari

Lone Wolf

303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think thats its a good Idea I have seen lots of wreck and fender benders by people to focused on there cell phone then driving.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know that this would actually affect the economy. Just imagine the loss of revenue for the medical sector, law enforcement and automobile industries because of that law.
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, it helps insurance companies make even more money, because then they don't have to pay out as many premiums, and can still charge their customers just as much.

I believe I already stated this, however. People will still get into car accidents, and the police will write just as many, if not more, tickets. I really don't get where you're going with that.

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here on Long island it's illegal to operate a cell phone while driving, but I do it anyway. I'm one of those idiots that changes CDs, texts, and scrolls through his iPod while he drives. Everyone I drive yells at me but I look at it this way, I stay in my lane, I only glance down for a second before looking back up to reassess the road, and most of the time I'm driving back roads that I know like the back of my hand, and very rarely have a lot of cars on them. I know I should cut back on the gadgetry whilst I drive, but sometimes there are necessities.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vehicular Assassin wrote:

Here on Long island it's illegal to operate a cell phone while driving, but I do it anyway. I'm one of those idiots that changes CDs, texts, and scrolls through his iPod while he drives. Everyone I drive yells at me but I look at it this way, I stay in my lane, I only glance down for a second before looking back up to reassess the road, and most of the time I'm driving back roads that I know like the back of my hand, and very rarely have a lot of cars on them. I know I should cut back on the gadgetry whilst I drive, but sometimes there are necessities.

That's just like saying: "I drive drunk all the time. It's illegal where I am, but look at it this way, I concentrate really hard and make sure I stay in my lane and I haven't had any problems so far. I should probably cut back on my drinking and driving, but sometimes I like a challenge!"

People take safety for granted when it's about something so simple or something they do every day. You might be able to do it 1,000 times without having a problem, but it's that one time where you do have a problem that is the issue. I don't think there's a lot of people who have issues every time they talk on the cell phone when they drive, but the % of people on the road that do something stupid because of some sort of distraction like that is irritating.

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Using a cell phone here in Ireland has been banned for years. People still do it though and they are a bloody danger on the road.

Use a car kit // hands free kit, it is not the perfect solution but it is a hell of alot safer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: