Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Kibbutz Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Some questions about Ted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Some questions about Ted Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Why didn't he defend himself when Windy and Kraze treated him? Could't he kill them with the rune?

2. Why did he have to serve to the monster on the ship in S4?

3. Was he or the rune ever mentioned in any other game than S1 and S4?

4.Is there any other information about him ever released?

Thank for the help
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ted Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Even with the Soul Eater's power, Windy is still stronger with her knowledge of magic.

2. I think in return for bearing the Soul Eater for Ted, the Fog Ship Guide gets to have command over him, although Ted realises that the rune is his burden to bear and that the guide is just gathering power for something.

3. The Soul Eater makes a second appearence in Suikoden II, in which we see Tir McDohl, Gremio and their struggles with the rune. You even get to put Tir in the party and use it.

4. Theres no other information that I know of.
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the fast answers I feel more informed now since I thought about that the last days. Appreciate it :)
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
2. Why did he have to serve to the monster on the ship in S4?

Quote:
2. I think in return for bearing the Soul Eater for Ted, the Fog Ship Guide gets to have command over him, although Ted realises that the rune is his burden to bear and that the guide is just gathering power for something.

thing was the soul eater was being to much for him. so he went aboard the fog ship and gave the rune to the thing that controlled the fog ship. but when lazlo came aboard he realized he couldn't rune away from the rune any more.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
El Leon

Arias

73841 Potch
40 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You could kinda say he was tired of the curse. The Rune has taken everything from him, lead him to a life forever on the run, and unable to establish any kind of friendly relationship for fear of bringing misery to said friends. Then all of a sudden you are offered solace, an escape from said life. He was completely disobeying his grandfather's orders to protect the Rune, but he was tired of the struggle. Konami was pretty shrewd in their explanation of how Ted "lost" his True Rune for some time, though too bad for everyone who though this period of time explained his growth from being a kid into being a teenager.

As for Ted beating Windy, I think Windy, even with half a True Rune, is more powerfull in the arts of Rune Magic than Ted is. If anything, it was only the True Rune that gave him a chance to escape the encounter with his life and reach Tir.
Splendid Monkey

Monkey`s Mad Marauders

96384 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ted Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sialeeds wrote:
1. Why didn't he defend himself when Windy and Kraze treated him? Could't he kill them with the rune?

He did try to defend himself. He used the Sould Eater on them. I remember Windy looking shocked and saying something like: "You fool. If you use that rune you will die too." I always thought this meant that if the soul eater's full power is used than it claims the bearer's life as well. The reason Windy and Kraze didn't die must have been because Windy, being a much stronger magician than Ted, somehow deflected the soul eater's magic with her own.

Random criticaster: "But mr. Monkey, if that were the case, why isn't Tir affected? He uses the soul eater all the time."

Splendid: *sighs* "Good point. I don't know..."
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's pretty sad he didn't gained much power in 300 years or so.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The quote was actually "You fool! You can't use that [b]in here[b] you'll be killed too!"

He used the rune in too close of quarters, and the end result was, the magical wounds Cleo comments on. Which were basically what killed him. Except Windy got to him first, and enslaved his body.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
El Leon

Arias

73841 Potch
40 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sialeeds wrote:

I always wondered if perhaps Aldo's mysterious dead had to do with Ted once again shying away from using the Rune's power. He did seem determined to master the Rune after seeing Lazlo didn't run away from his own cursed Rune (which you could say it's less twisted but more indiscriminate than the Soul Eater's curse), so I always wondered why he was running away from it again until he met Teo and Tir. If he did befriend Aldo and the Rune took Aldo's life, it would explain him losing his determination again.
Splendid Monkey

Monkey`s Mad Marauders

96384 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
The quote was actually "You fool! You can't use that [b]in here[b] you'll be killed too!"

He used the rune in too close of quarters, and the end result was, the magical wounds Cleo comments on. Which were basically what killed him. Except Windy got to him first, and enslaved his body.

I see. That would indeed explain what happened.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sialeeds wrote:

Don't forget, that in Suikoden IV Ted has had the Soul Eater already, for around 140 years. He's probably already mastered the runes power by the time we see him. And in the next 150 years, gains mastery over it to the point, where he's able to call on it's power when it's attached to someone else.

We barely see any of Ted's power in Suikoden I, so we can't really measure that either.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Splendid Monkey

Monkey`s Mad Marauders

96384 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sialeeds wrote:

I think Ted si actually a pretty solid magic user by the time we meet him in S1. You can hardly blame him for losing to Windy who is one of the strongest known magicains. Statwise, I guess Konami just had him start off at lv. 1 for gameplay reasons.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it is more akin to what Milan has already said. Ted was plenty powerful enough by that point. It's not that Windy was so much more powerful than him that she thrashed him, it's that he used too much of the rune's power in too close of quarters, and harmed himself in the process. Unleashing this power probably took away any ability he may of had to defend against such power, while Windy was able to use her rune to defend herself and Kraze (though, why she would do that, I have no clue!). From the story elements we see, there is no mention of Windy harming him at all!

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
Sialeeds wrote:

Don't forget, that in Suikoden IV Ted has had the Soul Eater already, for around 140 years. He's probably already mastered the runes power by the time we see him. And in the next 150 years, gains mastery over it to the point, where he's able to call on it's power when it's attached to someone else.

We barely see any of Ted's power in Suikoden I, so we can't really measure that either.

We also see his general reluctance to use it at all in fear of taking anyone's life. Also how he distances himself from everyone, I think this is why he isn't as powerful as he'd normally be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: