Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Evolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There will never be "absolute, flawless proof" because such a thing goes against the very fundamental of scientific knowledge. Science merely tries to find an explanation for observable physical phenomena, and new discoveries will continue to change our understanding of the physical world. Thus, there are no real absolutes. I think the dispute between creationists and evolutionists come from this core misunderstanding of the epistemologies of both sides.

Also, Carbon-14 dating can be influenced by many different factors and is known to fluctuate. For that reason, it typically isn't the only method used to determine an organic material's age (only organic material can be measured with Carbon-14 dating).
It is not as simple as just measuring C-14 levels on a organic material; archaeologists would also have to consider environemtal factors that could have affected the amount of C-14 accumulated on the object while it was alive.

Furthermore, non-photosynthesizing organic material (such as animal flesh, shells, bones, etc) are not reliable sources for C-14 dating because they do not accumulate C-14 predictably. Photosynthesizing organic material (plants) constantly use up radioactive C-14 during photosynthesis, and thus their C-14 level is kept at a equilibrium while they are alive. For this reason, archaeologists will often measure C-14 from vegetable matter found arround a fossilized animal, etc. to measure their age. Thus, measuring C-14 from a fossil of a shell would be misleading, because likely the C-14 build up in a dense organic lattice such as shells would be very extreme.

For example, the age of some Neanderthal bones were determined by the remains of flowers that were buried along with the Neanderthal.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmm..evolution Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

St. Ajora wrote:
John Layfield wrote:
slayerprince wrote:
The theory of evolution.
Your personal religious faith has nothing whatsoever to do with a logical debate about the subject.

I don't even believe that he was asking for your very scientific and logical input. He just stated his own, and left it at that, not as an invitation for his opinion to be ridiculed and torn to pieces. Your very scientific and logical debate about the subject has nothing to do with his personal religious faith. Please don't see it as an opportunity to totally thrash someone even if it seems illogical to you.

Are you saying that a post made in a thread dedicated solely to the discussion and debate of evoultion theory cannot be addressed without the prior written consent of the post maker?

Rubbish.

I wouldn't have to make such broad rebuttals if the 'creationist side' did a little bit more than "i dont feel liek it rite now". And, yes, I enjoy the debate more than I do the one-sided "tearing to pieces" of posts. I can't reply beyond the basics like I did unless I am given something to reply to.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Are you saying that a post made in a thread dedicated solely to the discussion and debate of evoultion theory cannot be addressed without the prior written consent of the post maker?

What? No, I'm saying it's in poor taste to go out of your way to disprove a creationist believe, no matter how right you think you are. This is a thread about evolution, and while I believe that it's useless (and wrong) to debate creation and evolutiion together, I don't believe that your previous post was called for.

Quote:
I wouldn't have to make such broad rebuttals if the 'creationist side' did a little bit more than "i dont feel liek it rite now".

Maybe the "creationist side" has nothing more to offer you today. i just found it a bit harsh to pick apart the guy's post and mocking him, just because he offered nothing relevent to the topic. I don't believe that he expressed a desire to hear your thoughts on his "creationist" opinion.

Now, before I disrupt the thread with my insensitivity, I will be off again. *poof*
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

harsh, yes, but posting something that adds nada to the discussion is treading that line we call spam. if it adds nothing, then simply, don't post it...if you're foolish enough to do so, then most likely, you will be mocked.

actually, when he posted his thoughts, that invited *intentional or not* criticism or agreeal from others; whether or not the original poster liked those thoughts is irrelevant-if you can't accept or deal with criticism, don't participate in a discussion where rebuttal is highly likely, simple as that.

back on topic:

as sars said, there are no absolutes in a theory; that's why it's a THEORY-someone's idea of what could have happened, based on evidence, rather than feeling or 'faith.'

tests for certain things are always being improved or surpassed; the scientific community constantly looks for new and better ways of proving/disproving theories or finds. the fact that so many different forms of hominids have been found in the cradle of life *africa* shows that there is merit to evolution-these hominids show gradual changes and adaptations that possibly led to modern man.

creationism has so many holes; no explanations for the extinct species we have found and are still discovering today-these are never mentioned in the '7 day scheme' that is flouted in creationism constantly.

neither ideal is absolute; both have gaps, but evolution seems to do a better job of explaining changes that occured prehistorically, while creationism expects us to 'take it on faith' that their explanation of prehistoric events happened.

i may be cynical in thinking so, but i'm more likely to believe things that are proven or disproven with factual evidence, rather than something that expects me to 'believe' in something just because 'x' said it happened.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.

Last edited by sybillious on Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bishop Sai, I know what you're saying and I respect your beliefs. But I have to tell you that Evolution and Creationism do not conflict... at all. Creationism is about the "origin of all life"--how it sprung up out of nothingness. So far, science has not been able to explain this. Evolution has to deal with "change of a species over a long period of time", meaning that scientists can show how a single-celled organism grew to be more complex over a billion years, but they can't tell you what put that single-celled organism there in the first place.

You're also looking at evolution at too fast a pace. It takes millions or sometimes BILLIONS of years for these changes to occur, and it sometimes takes a cataclysmic event to speed it along (like whatever wiped out the dinosaurs and allowed mammals to take over the world).

A common misconception is that a monkey turned into a human, and that's just wrong. Humans and apes share a common ancestor from which both species branched off from, and we haven't found this ancestor but it's referred to as "the missing link". It's called that because once we know what it is we can then trace the evolution of humans and apes back from that one point.

Lastly, I want to point out that evolution is not a religion. It's not a matter of belief, it's a matter of knowledge. Scientists have collected millions of pieces of astrological, genetic, and geological evidence that supports this theory, so until something else comes along that challenges the idea it will remain the paradigm in which science is conducted.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oh, don't forget Island Fauna, why don't you folk like Island fauna? tiny elephants, giant rats...wingless flys? surly god would give everyone these animals? who wouldn't need a poney sized elephant? Island fauna is used as the "omg evolution!" thing, you take some animal and cram it onto an island, over time the'll adapt....unless its just adaptaion not evolution. Normal sized animals will shrink, now we find our monster island and see tiny versions of know beasties? how they be? I guess they were plastic dolls and broght to life with magic huh? we have so many beloved isolated animal species, in well known places.

i can't add anything meaning full anymore. I guess I'll give up the fight. My typing reads like a 6 year old's word usage.

still yes the bible says nothing about god killing dinosaurs. unless dinosaur=sinfull people and they washed in the flood.
there, proof right?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Offtopic: The Bible says nothing about extinction, but then again, it also doesn't say that dinosaurs were parked outside Rome. The writers of the Bible had something better to write about than what happened to all the animal species. And...

kuwaizair wrote:
still yes the bible says nothing about god killing dinosaurs. unless dinosaur=sinfull people and they washed in the flood.
there, proof right?

No, not right. According to the Bible, Noah took two of every animal on the ark and dinosaurs are animals, not people. So if dinosaurs were alive at that point, Noah took them. If they weren't, then who knows...

Lastly, while I also believe that anything posted in a public forum is open for rebuttal, on a personal note, since this is the first topic I've created (hence, I'm a little partial to it) I'd appreciate it if we didn't turn this into a reigious discussion. :| (boy, I look hypocritical)

On-topic: It has already been said in this thread (SARS was the first I think) that evolution doesn't explain the origins of life (an assumption which I initially also fell victim to). This is why we should be educating people about it. Not that it's the absolute truth (which some schools do) and not that it's BS (which still others do), but we should present it with as little bias (wishfully none) as possible.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As far as the current hypotheses goes for a possible scientifc causes of life, the below link should help understand currently debated ideas. Note that none of these are even theories, but some of them have generated a lot of data (albeit inconclusive).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_life
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: