Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

FullMetal Alchemist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

true that hawkthanatos. but since the movie isn't out in the states yet and i know the japanese version has a limited i've been trying to find a cheap price on it since i don't want to pay almost $90 over at playasia. any one know of a place that sells the limited edition cheap besides ebay since i've already checked it and they don't have it.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just finished watching the anime series the other day. I must say it was rather good although the ending to me could have been better and was kind of blah. I did like it more than I thought though as I was skeptical when I first started it. Glad I stuck through watching it :D

Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now i think that i can spoil it for you Jinx. Go watch the movie Full Metal Alchemist: Conquerors of Shamala. It's a continuation of the series.

I'm waiting for more manga though. There's only 74 or so right now.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

like i said before this is my favorite series. i own all thirtheen dvds along with the three limited edition tin cases. the movie is very good so if you haven't seen it, i suggest you do. i'm still waiting for an annoucement on them making a second movie since they easily can. don't want to spoil any thing on the first one for ya so i won't say any thing on it besides being great.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I happen to own the complete anime set too. Until now, my sister likes to tease me because I bought the series for 100 ringgit when she happened to see it selling for around seventy ringgit. I also own four volumes of the manga (By the way, I read this comic in a local manga magazine) and my sister owns the sequel to the anime series (Conqurer of Shambala).

I was introduced to this series by a friend of mine, who is a rabid fan. I was first exposed to a bit of the manga (It was the first chapter of Volume 4, If I recall correctly) and then to the full anime series. I remember that I watched this with my sister during the holidays and we went through it really fast.

I liked the anime a lot at first. My first impression was that the animation was lovely and the story was true to the manga for the most part. I also loved the voice acting and the humor in the story. I also like the music they use in the anime, with my top favorite being 'Bratja'.

I think that things went downhill in the next few seasons. As the story shifted focus to other areas, I feel that it became slightly lackluster and some parts were overdone. I also disliked the ending because it felt very contrived. I guess part of it is because there wasn't an ending to the manga yet, so the director had to get creative.

As for Conqurer of Shambala, let's just say that you shouldn't get your hopes up too high. Unrealistic demands aside, I thought that the quality of animation was not up to standard in the movie and the story was even less so.

I still like the manga though, particularly because it's filled with numerous plot twists and the plots are well intervowen together, so you really get the sense that everything in the story is related to another. Besides that, the character development is terrific in my opinion, having reread a number of chapters from the past and then comparing the characters then and now. In addition to that, the artwork is very neat, and I also like the mini comics at the back for their weird sense of humor.

I'd definitely recommend the manga to shonen fans and people looking for a manga that has many elements of mystery and magic.

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Full Metal is a fun little Series to the least, but I can easily see where Luciet is coming from. things just kinda got way out of hand and spiraled out of control. other things made me really upset, like the way the handled Lust. I loved it...then they slap her in the face.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Patriarch

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dont like it. It got really boring watching it. though a factor was that its repeatedly shown on adult swim almost all the time and that when ever they get close to the end they reset the entire series.

The main reason i dont like it is the story sounds way to preechy to me. "Oh well it seems this entire event wouldent occured if he had just eaten his vegitables" kind of episodes where half of them half to have a moral. and it just seemed to me like it took them longet then other animes to tie everything together and when you finnaly see the big picture it wasnt all that interesting.

Also Mustangs entire staff except for Hawkeye really didn't do anything except mess around.

Also i could never tell the difference between Brosh and Havoc. I just never thought about it that much. 2 blond guys both dont do much. they just kinda blend in to me.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2327939 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I rather like the FMA anime for being a short 51 episode series. It seemed rather slow and random at first but near the end of the series it goes into hyper drive :o

I also think Conquerer of Shambala is great to finish off the whole thing. Although if you hated the series all the way through....well...can't help you there...
Have you all seen any/all the OVAs? I have to say I really like the Alchemist vs Homunculi one lol.

I haven't been keeping up with the manga unfortunately....I feel like it's gone way past the point of madness...in the sense that I don't think I can handle it chapter by chapter...I'm gonna wait till a few volumes are out before I read a bunch of em in one shot... ^^; eh heh...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

other things made me really upset, like the way the handled Lust. I loved it...then they slap her in the face.

That is especially true if you compare the Lust in the anime and the one in the manga. The Lust in the anime...I think I really went 'wtf?' when I found out about her origin, but even that was fine, until the point where she gets killed. Her character is more consistent in the manga, where she's proud up until the very end, where she is burnt to ashes by Roy (It is explained that the ways used to kill the homonculi lie in how Roman Catholics punished those gulity of a sin. The punishment for 'lust' was to burn the person in fire and brimstone.)

Quote:

The main reason i dont like it is the story sounds way to preechy to me. "Oh well it seems this entire event wouldent occured if he had just eaten his vegitables" kind of episodes where half of them half to have a moral. and it just seemed to me like it took them longet then other animes to tie everything together and when you finnaly see the big picture it wasnt all that interesting.

To a certain extent, that is very true of the anime. However, in the manga, there's a more detailed explanation of what actually happened in the past, to the extent that you realize how deeply is everything interconnected. Up until where I'm reading, it is shown that the reason why Sloth is at Drachma is to complete the big alchemic circle in order to sacrifice all the people of Amestris, and this was already set into plan many centuries ago. In addition, I wonder what's up with Hohenheim Elric.
By the way, I happen to think that the conclusion of the anime was horrible as well. It was just too unrealistic and far too open to interpretation for my liking.

Quote:

I also think Conquerer of Shambala is great to finish off the whole thing. Although if you hated the series all the way through....well...can't help you there...
Have you all seen any/all the OVAs? I have to say I really like the Alchemist vs Homunculi one lol.

That's weird. I somewhat enjoyed the entire anime series, but I highly disliked Conquerer of Shambala. It just felt like a contrived story to me and I found it to be largely boring.

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nadistu wrote:
I haven't been keeping up with the manga unfortunately....I feel like it's gone way past the point of madness...in the sense that I don't think I can handle it chapter by chapter...I'm gonna wait till a few volumes are out before I read a bunch of em in one shot... ^^; eh heh...

There are 14 volumes out right now, I'd think that would take you some time to get through it.

As for the anime, it was alright. I enjoyed it enough, although I think that it got more hype than it deserved. One gets a bit sick of something when it's shoved in your face all the time after all. Still, I don't think it was as good as the manga. At least what I've read so far at any rate. The manga doesn't have the rushed feeling that the anime had. Obviously manga has the luxury of being able to go at a slower pace. One anime episode can and usually does cover several chapters of manga, and that needs to be out every week. The manga, especially when it's being serialized in the various magazines, usually is just a monthly thing. So, they can let the story unfold over a couple years or so, and the fans don't mind. Doesn't work that way with anime though.

I've noticed that right now we're at a point in the manga where it's like it's a totally different property from the anime. Nothing is even remotely close to the same, and there's little chance that their paths will converge again either. So, from that aspect, I can treat each one differently and not really try and compare them too much. The anime was its own work, and while the ending did feel rushed, it can stand on its own fairly well. The manga is taking the long way around, and likely will reach a different conclusion than the anime. I would be curious to know how much input the creator had with the ending of the anime, or even with the area where the two properties split off. I know in many cases the original author really isn't given the opportunity to give input. Whether that's because the studio doesn't allow them, or the author just doesn't care, I'm not sure.

~Uguu!~
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: