Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Why violence in videogames is boring
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:

And how would you like to end a game? Not have a final boss? You just want the game to end so you can your cutscene? If you don't want every game to have a final boss and so on, what is a better alternative?
How about you outwit the boss by gathering his enemies against him. Turn him into the police, win in a court case. Or you have to run through a dungeon flipping switches to counter whatever scheme he has. Or you talk him out of his evil ways. Go back in time and prevent his birth.

There are plenty of options instead of shooting him in the head for an hour. Something meaningful to the plot. Remove his reason for being evil, destroy an artifact he wants, save a loved one whose capture was the point of all his evil deads. I could go on.

An RPG could still have statistics where you don't level up through fighting. Maybe by selecting the proper dialogue you get better at certain dialogue options (better at charming something, better at lieing, etc, instead of more mind points and more hit points). Completing side quests earns you additional experience. In games like Vampire: Bloodlines you gained experience for completing quests whether or not that involved killing someone.

Open ended games like The Sims are also good alternatives than having a final boss.

But yes, I like adventure games as long as they don't turn into item fetch quests.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh. I don't mind adventure games if they are a fetch quest. Most of them are so...I don't really mind much.

As for your solution, like turning his enemies against him and such. Would that be challenging? Would it be a simple matter of "Hey guys, come and betray your leader"? Because that's not engaging at all. Apart of the appeal and charm of video games is that you over come challenges. It's the thrill of winning that makes certain games still popular to this day (such as sports games, or war games). The prospect of winning after a tremendous amount of odds and force is what gives a gamer his high, his kick.

If you could simply turn his enemies against him and tell them to take him in...to the police station, I don't know about that one. It doesn't sound like it lends any difficulty or challenge whatsoever to the player. And it actually sounds like a boring solution and finale to a video game. You know it's still possible to have violence in a game without killing people, right? How about a game that gives multiple endings depending on how you beat people? If you just knock them out with your fists or shoot them with your tranquilizer gun, you end up not killing your enemeis and have a more peaceful ending. If you shoot them with normal guns and manage to kill them, you get the normal ending.

Quote:
An RPG could still have statistics where you don't level up through fighting. Maybe by selecting the proper dialogue you get better at certain dialogue options (better at charming something, better at lieing, etc, instead of more mind points and more hit points). Completing side quests earns you additional experience. In games like Vampire: Bloodlines you gained experience for completing quests whether or not that involved killing someone.

Many rpgs have implemented dialogue options such as this. Persona 3 has it. Knights of the Old Republic has it. Baldur's Gate II has it. Many rpgs have that type of stuff. But, it's still impossible to have an rpg without combat. If it doesn't have combat and becomes solely dialogue based, then it becomes an adventure game and it's not an rpg at all.

Quote:
Open ended games like The Sims are also good alternatives than having a final boss.

The Sims is also not a traditional game.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some gamers don't want to use intellect to solve problems, since it may be more involving, more effort or another reason. Violence is a straight forward basic human characteristic that has been overused in video games. I'd like a mixture personally.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
Some gamers don't want to use intellect to solve problems, since it may be more involving, more effort or another reason. Violence is a straight forward basic human characteristic that has been overused in video games. I'd like a mixture personally.

Ditto. However, you are mistaken if you think that you don't use any intellect through combat.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not saying none is used, but I do feel that in a lot of video game violence it is all very simple and easy to play through.
OptimisticPessimist

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

84561 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't mind the violence in games actually, since I more or less concentrate on the RPG genre rather than on any other game genre.

I think I would find an RPG without combat of any sort to be something akin to a novel of sorts. It's simply something you can potentially breeze through without actually doing anything. That's not to say that novels are always easy reads. They can tend to be predictable.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It also depends on what you define as violence. To me, I consider video game violence to be something more akin to Grand Theft Auto where you shoot people and you can kill people in multiple ways although I know that even RPGs have violence in them, seeing that violence means pretty much any aggressive physical action against another person.
As a predominantly RPG player, I must admit that 'violence' doesn't interest me much. I'm much more interested in the story of an RPG than the amount of blood, guts and other such pixelated things spilled during the game. Of course, I also admit that a game where pretty much nothing happens would be very boring unless its concept was innovative. Two of the games I'd consider to have no violence that I liked were Harvest Moon and Sim City (For the latter, you could cause havoc by making disasters, but that's not really violence to me).
I just think that the author could have worded the title better. From reading his article, I get the impression that he simply doesn't like the thought that violence is all too prevalent in action games and he'd like more alternative ways to solve a problem. In essence, he wants an alternative solution to exploit that doesn't involve killing but does not heavily penalize a player.
I sort of like his idea, because it makes the game more realistic. I remember reading an article once about how an agent like James Bond would never survive in the real spying industry and it caught my interest. However, I'd also like to note that the solution is simply to make the 'alternative' elements in the game more common and easy to use, so that other players can do it as well. In that sense I like MGS because it involves quite a lot of stealth.

Is violence in video games boring? Not quite. I do think it's boring when it's the central focus of the game though.

Phoenix Legion

102576 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HarmonianHiccup wrote:
I guess what I'm trying to say is that violence in video games holds no interest for me.

But the story does, yes? And conflict is the essence of any story. Yes, there are non-violent resolutions... but some form of violence is generally chosen. It is, of course, the easiest option (in many regards).

Himuro wrote:
And how would you like to end a game? Not have a final boss? You just want the game to end so you can your cutscene? If you don't want every game to have a final boss and so on, what is a better alternative?

Here's a bit of irony: Halo doesn't have a final (or any) boss. The final challenge is to reach a specified place before time runs out. This actually means avoiding a lot of enemies.

Himuro wrote:
Apart of the appeal and charm of video games is that you over come challenges. It's the thrill of winning that makes certain games still popular to this day (such as sports games, or war games). The prospect of winning after a tremendous amount of odds and force is what gives a gamer his high, his kick.

Most final bosses in RPG's are very very easy, the real challenge is to prevent the dialogue - or voice acting - from giving you a brain hemorrhage.

Himuro wrote:
But, it's still impossible to have an rpg without combat. If it doesn't have combat and becomes solely dialogue based, then it becomes an adventure game and it's not an rpg at all.

I'm tempted to take that as a challenge :D Combat can't be the only non-dialogue aspect of an RPG, or even the only possible challenge.

Luceit wrote:
As a predominantly RPG player, I must admit that 'violence' doesn't interest me much. I'm much more interested in the story of an RPG than the amount of blood, guts and other such pixelated things spilled during the game.

Ah, see, it's the way that violence is depicted that bothers me about many games. MGS, again, did this well - I always felt a bit ill after strangling someone to death. I also liked the violent scenes in FFT; there was blood, but nothing ridiculous, no endless fountains of red or flying body parts. The relative realism gave it more impact.

I really believe that video games (particularly RPG's) have vast untapped potential for varied gameplay. I don't know if the problem lies in uncreative developers or the (perhaps only perceived) demands of most gamers. Either way, it's rather disappointing.
"[...] even a seemingly purposeless miracle is an inexhaustible source of hope, because it proves to us that since we do not understand everything, our defeats—so much more numerous than our few and empty victories—may be equally specious."
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can finish Fallout 1 without shooting a single bullet.

A post nuclear role playing game were using bazookas as a weapon is easy as eating cake gives you the chance to play it the diplomat way.

Diplomacy at it's finest!

A church does blow up, but hey, you didn't do it!

Seriously, everyone here in this post should play Fallout. You'll be surprised!
Quote:

And despite the fact that the first Fallout game is aaaalmost possible to complete without firing a single shot or even meeting the main villain, the mutant base that must be explored and destroyed by the protagonist is pretty much impossible to survive without the ability to handle a rocket launcher and/or chaingun. I would love to be proven wrong on this (honestly), but the way the base is constructed, and the way the enemies are placed, makes the whole level literally impossible to sneak through.

Lie. I did it and I'm not a hardcore gamer at all. It's all about creating the right character, something that doesn't take more than 5 minutes.

He's right about Fallout's 2 ending though.

EDIT:

Quote:

Just to comment on the fallout 2 boss fight thing. If I remember correctly can't you hack the computer and have the turrets reduce the boss to shreds.

Hey! I didn't know that.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Article's author uses bad examples. I know he's trying to emphasize that "free-form games should emphasize options other than combat" as a way to win, but he does title his article poorly (as has been pointed out by a number of repliers in this thread).

Because sports games are among some of the most popular games ever and aren't about combat in a traditional sense. Now whether you actually think NFL football is violent is a whole other story :) And let's not talk about Wii Sports or Guitar Hero.

The reality is, many people want to feel overpowered and strong in a video game. Truth. His example with Call of Duty is interesting, but is overall not a good sample because the point of that mission being memorable was precisely to put you in a position of vulnerability. It is thrilling because it goes against the grain, but if the next mission did that, and then the mission after that did it too, your game is going to tank big-time. You do not go out and buy Call of Duty so you can run around without a gun - you want to shoot things and blow stuff up. The fact that you go through a mission without a gun is just a way to stir things up.

So let's turn to FPS's. It's interesting that he rants a bit about how Japanese games give different options and fails to mention that the Japanese RPG system is Totally. The. Most. Unoriginal. System. Ever. He points out examples of Fallout and KoToR as games where Violence is the Answer, and points out that sometimes, you can do alternate tactics. Well, guess what. In Suikoden, if you don't like a guy, you kill him. Simple as that. You do not engage in thrilling negotiations with them (ugh, imagine an entire game based on thrilling negotiations). You do not play Triple Triad with him and bet your Kingdom. You kill him (or on occasion fight him until he gives up/runs away/whatever). There ARE exceptions, yes, but you get my drift.

But I wil lgo back to saying that combat IS easy, so that's why people do it. It's nice to have a goal like that. Even a game where combat is not the main focus, like in Phoenix Wright, it's entertaining and amusing to note that all of the cases in that game are murders :)

Simply put, unless you all want to play dating sims, combat will remain prevalent! People want to be overpowered. People get enough fluffy negotiations, tip-toeing through emotions, doing silly things like cooking and cleaning and vacuuming. When they sit down at the TV and fire up that console, most players probably want to smash some heads (or read some engaging story sequences that eventually lead to smashing heads).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: