Suikoden Utopian and Irrational Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

I need advice on something!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: I need advice on something! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi guys,

Now I have a bit of a confession to make and that is I have never completed Resident Evil 1, not ever. Not the PS1 version, not the Gamecube version or even the DS version.

This is becuase I played the game when I was about 9 on a dark and lonely night and its basically scarred me for life and even though I can play other RE's, I find it difficult to shake the feeling of dread when I play the original, damn my impressionable young mind!

So I could really use some tips to tone down the scare factor on the game, Im attempting to tackle the Gamecube version.

I must complete this game, my gamers pride is on the line. Seeya later.

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was scary when it first came out but now is somewhat laughable. See if you can count how many times Barry says "What is this?"

In fact just laugh at Barry's acting all the way through^^

Once you get through the first few sections it becomes routine.

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: I need advice on something! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sniper_Zegai wrote:
Hi guys,

Now I have a bit of a confession to make and that is I have never completed Resident Evil 1, not ever. Not the PS1 version, not the Gamecube version or even the DS version.

This is becuase I played the game when I was about 9 on a dark and lonely night and its basically scarred me for life and even though I can play other RE's, I find it difficult to shake the feeling of dread when I play the original, damn my impressionable young mind!

So I could really use some tips to tone down the scare factor on the game, Im attempting to tackle the Gamecube version.

I also have a confession to make, I also never completed this game but not because it was scary, but because the controls absolutely shit me (my PS1 analogue controller no longer works thus the rage and fury).

Although if you want to tone down the gore factor playing the Gamecube version isn't a wise decision as it's graphics & atmosphere were redone to be more 'realistic' than the PS1 version, and by today's standards the PS1 version is a pixelated mess. Then again squinting and thinking 'there's no place like home' seems to help some people think happy thoughts. But alas, you could always think 'At least it isn't Doom III'. :P

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aurelien's 10 AWESOME tips to not get scared of Resident Evil 1:
1. Mute your TV! Sound effect and music will crap your pants.
2. If you want, listen to HAPPY music instead with your mp3 player or CD player.
3. Play ONLY during the day. As soon as it gets dark, STOP playing.
4. Even during the day, turn on the lights just to make sure that you'd never play in dark in case it's cloudy outside.
5. Read the walkthrough so you're not surprised as to what is going to happen. It might ruin the fun of the game, but it'd save your from wetting your pants in fear!
6. Eat something sweet during the play.
7. Grab someone or two or three or as many people as you can get to be in the same room with you just to make sure that you're not going to get eaten by zombies.
8. Talk to them from time to time to make sure that they haven't turned into zombies to eat you.
9. Keep your favorite plushie nearby to keep you safe.
10. Remember! If you're still somehow scared, pull the plug to save yourself! The TV is not undefeatable!! If you can pull the plug, then you can win!!

That is all. Good luck in trying. Give it your best.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Play the game with the sound off....

And then crank up some other music. Half of a horror game is sound. You take that away and it isn't remotely scary.

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Its true that turning the sound off will make it less frightening, it takes the atmosphere right out of it. I always just used to tell myself it was not real just a computer game. Also it is true that the acting is terrible so I always had a laugh at that.

The other thing is to play it on the PS1, the graphics will definately affect how you see the game as scary.

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah, sound is the biggest key, and all of Aurelien's tips are spot on for reducing the horror atmosphere, things like that really work for any game that relies on shocking the gamer with sudden action.

Try singing some while playing, particularly some song that you couldn't possibly be intimidated by, my best suggestion would be Frank Sinatra's "High Hopes".

Amp up the brightness on your tv (along with playing it with light). Survival horror games often rely on darker environments, but making the screen brighter can help limit that.

If you can do it without dying, multitask. If your mind is divided between things, you're less devoted to the game when it tries to scare you.

I don't know if it's possible, since I haven't played RE1 in particular, but if at all possible, pause the game as soon as you get any eerie feeling. It will give you all the time you need to take in the environment and get used to it, before that zombie behind the glass jumps out and kills you.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good tips everyone.

Main thing I hate about RE is probably the ridiculous camera angles that can give enemies a pretty unfair advantage. And you dont wanna shoot blindly becuase of that oh so precious ammo.

I'll give your tips a go everyone. I'll die before this game beats me!

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is why I don't play jumpy scary games, they get me all upset and bothered and then I neglect the dog since I won't put him outside. Then my cat hates me cause I hug and hold onto her so bad her head wants to fly off, then everything that moves gives me a heart attack. I'm so easy to rile up.
The same thing happens when I see a spider. OoOoOoOooo

-My DeviantArt-
Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Now that I know so much background to the game I can't really get into it enough to get scared.

My mind is a whirl with things like: "Oh I remember this section from the original, the graphics are so much better. Hey, that wasn't there in the original! The voice acting was so cheesy before. This script is hilarious. Ohhh this is like that scene from the movie." etc etc.

So I don't really get into it. Walkthroughs can do that for you. If you know what's coming, it's not scary. Hmmm I think someone said that already. Well, I add to it that you can research the history of Resident Evil as a whole and that will make you start thinking about "how" the game is made, which takes away the atmosphere.

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You should play Resident Evil 4 instead.

Much, much better.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The best thing to do is probably just force yourself to play it, with the sound on, at night. That's what i did when i was afraid to play the game. now none if the RE games scare me.

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why WOULDN'T you want to get scared?? :O That's one of the biggest reasons I love horror survival games! But then again, I am a horror junkie so perhaps this just isn't the genre for you.

RE1 for the Gamecube is one of my all time favorite games. It's really well done compared to the original, which was laughable in every aspect when compared to the rehashed version.

One of the things that really helps is to not play alone. Usually my brother would play the game with me, but when he was not around my sister liked to watch (she's terrible at games like that) so whenever something scary happened it helped to have someone else in the room. You could also laugh at each other for screaming or jumping or whatever. :P

Also, play in the daytime. That's a big one. When I played RE2 with my cousin he got too scared so we would only play it in the day. I think it's a lot more fun at night though. :twisted:

I remember it being scary as hell when I first played it, and there were times when I simply dreaded even picking up the controller. But then I got over the initial scare and I really got into it and things didn‘t scare me quite as much. I personally would not want to go near a FAQ because that will just spoil everything for you. The story for RE1 (the Gamecube version at least) is fairly deep if you take the time to read through all the documents you find and what not. I believe they also added a side story (which added a lot to the scare factor considered the creature that is involved in said plot) in that version.

One last tip: Keep a pillow handy. If something really scares you (something pops out of somewhere, jumps out at you, etc.) quickly press pause. Proceed to place your face against the pillow and scream as loud as you want. Continue playing.

It helps. Trust me.

I hope you enjoy! ^_^;;

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blackjack wrote:
You should play Resident Evil 4 instead.

Much, much better.

Ive completed RE4 and got pretty much all the extras including the handcannon, I completed RE3 and RE2 as well. RE2 scared me a little but RE1 is the one that gets me everytime.

I dont mind jumpy games and moments that is'nt what scares me about RE1, it just flat out scares me on every level. Dont know why.

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I need advice on something! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sniper_Zegai wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm 22 and the crows still make me shit my pants.

I'm sorry man, you'll just never finish it. Join the club (I'm the only member)!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: