Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Drafting of armed forces is mentioned by Douglas Lute
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Nope, I don't think that helps you any if the draft is actually back on.

Oh well. My ass leaving the country should do it then :)

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really doubt we'll ever see a draft again in the USA...
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
I really doubt we'll ever see a draft again in the USA...

So, do you suggest I slap my uncle for starting my morning off with a scary lie?

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If Bush mentioned drafts then he mentioned drafts, but honestly I can't see him (or any future president) wielding enough support to establish one.

Go for it.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
I think the one rule that still in the books in regards to being not drafted if you're the only son and/or daughter in the family. Another one is that if you are one of several sons and/or daughters in a family then at least one person gets to stay home to propagate the family line while the rest goes off to war.

I actually told them I'd pull that card if they ever tried to deploy me. The general impression I got from their reactions is that I'd win. I imagine they can still draft you to do rear administrative work though, thus no combat.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've changed the name of the thread to get rid of misleading information. It now matches the information provided in the source article.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it was meant to replicate the Yahoo article, which had an equally misleading title. They pretty much declared outright that the White House was considering a draft, and then you open it up and it starts out with "well no not really but PLEASE READ ME". :P
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shad wrote:
I think it was meant to replicate the Yahoo article, which had an equally misleading title. They pretty much declared outright that the White House was considering a draft, and then you open it up and it starts out with "well no not really but PLEASE READ ME". :P

Yeah, it is a little panicky but I dont think any politician should even say "draft" without being ready for a load of annoyed people. And rightly so.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, that would depend on the context the word was being used in. If the word was being used to decry or even keep another politician from trying to implement it then I'm going to assume the reaction would be more of a positive one. I think if it was someone who wasn't Bush or anyone who was affiliated with him and his party the reaction to this use of the word will not be as "huge" as some have seen it to be.

It's almost as if he can say any word, no matter how inconsequential it may be, and people will suddenly think the worst context that word can be put into and scream like they're being violated. Bush is no Darth Vader, Sauron or Voldemort that everything he does means the world is about to end or he's about to take over the world. He is just not that clever or smart.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seems to me someone in the media just got scared when a politician mentioned the word "draft."
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, the same someone who wouldn't be drafted and most likely someone with enough influence with the right people to keep any of his kids from going. Now, if this reporter was someone who had been drafted during the Vietnam era and has seen first-hand what a drafted citizen has to go through, or even if he was a battlefield reporter, then I'll give him a bit more credibility. As a few have mentioned already he seemed to needed to make something out of nothing and to do it was to make it as sensational as possible.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
It's almost as if he can say any word, no matter how inconsequential it may be, and people will suddenly think the worst context that word can be put into and scream like they're being violated. Bush is no Darth Vader, Sauron or Voldemort that everything he does means the world is about to end or he's about to take over the world. He is just not that clever or smart.

Some friends of mine and I were having a discussion about public opinion of the guy, including the widespread opinion that he is the worst president the US has had. I found that to be a rather funny statement, and one built off a lack of knowledge of some of the absolute jackasses that have been president.

Look at the guy on the $20 dollar bill, for example. Andrew Jackson repaid the federal debt, a big plus to him. He also was a key part in the advancement of the spoils system, which removed federal employees from office, generally replacing them for friends and party supporters, under the guise of preventing corruption. Jackson's economic policies led to massive inflation and the collapse of many banks when he abolished the second national bank and ordered that all government purchases must be done in gold or silver.

Of course, Jackson also signed the Indian Removal Act, a rather racist piece of legislation that more or less precipitated the complete destruction of several indian tribes and led to the trail of tears. Funny, a guy who an open proponent of genocide is on one of our most used pieces of currency.

And that's just one possibility. While Bush has been ineffective for the most part, I think, a century down the line, he's not going to be considered the worst by any means.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not the worst by any means, but pretty bad. I don't think anyone would think it is a much better position to be in. :P
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Amyral, I use the same President when I hear some idiot either say Bush has been the worst President in U.S. history, or equates him to Hitler.

It is mind-boggling how stupid some people can be. And I am always surprised how I never really hear anyone ever forwarding the thought to change the person, a man whose how life and Presidential reign was to eradicate the Native Americans, on the 20 dollar bill.

But I am going off on a tangent, so I will stop. :D

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: