Suikoden United and Illusional Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

International Travel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: International Travel Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, I am planning to leave for Canada within the next few months. I may not leave until 2008, but I plan on staying there for good. I have heard that by 2008, I WILL need a passport to get into Canada. I have someone who is going to sponsor my residency, and we will do whatever paperwork is necessary for when I get there. But I'm just curious to what EXACTLY I need to get in there? I've searched the internet, but I constantly find stuff from 2005. And I know how the times have changed, and that we have many members from all over, so I figured I'd ask. I have photo ID, my Birth Certificate, and what not.

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It should be easy enough to get a passport, If you're a resident of the united states I belive you need to contact you're local DMV or Post Office or some such. There's a slight fee though.

I hate you Onimaru.
ViktorFan

Shalimar

1825501 Potch
200 Soldiers
4195 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here is a link that may help you:

http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/washington/visas/default-en.asp
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Out of curiousity, is there any particular reason you're leaving for Canada?

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've never been to Canada, so I'm not much help--
I will say, however, that every time I have crossed a border they've wanted to know specifically why, how long I would be staying and how I would be supporting myself. You also need, as you know, a passport. :)
Since you've got someone sponsering you you should be OK on those first parts, also.

I'm also curious as to why you're leaving for Canada! That is, if you care to talk about it.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a lot of similar questions. I used to drive to Canada for the weekend to party every once in a while back home, and if I'm going to need a passport now that will put a bit of a damper on it. That and I'd like to go to Europe when I'm out of the military. It's something I need to take care of pretty soon. Well, if I get around to it before you do I'll let you know how the process goes.
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From what I understand, these days getting your initial passport can be a bit of a hassle. I got my first one back in 1996, and so it came due last year, but all it took was filling out a form and sending in a couple pictures and some money, plus the old passport. It wasn't a hassle at all, mainly because I was renewing and not applying for the first time. The good thing is, they last 10 years, so for the $60-$80 it costs, it's really not that much in the long run. Just make sure that you don't let it lapse.

That's more for Shad's benefit though. That link that ViktorFan provided is much more useful for if you're planning on moving to Canada permanently.

~Uguu!~
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, the wonders of being a permanent resident! I've been sifting through that information for the last couple weeks. Fun, ain't it?

Getting an American passport may be a bit easier than getting a Canadian one. If there is any option to fill out forms online, DO THAT! Since regulations have just passed stating that within the next year, all Canadians entering the US must have a passport, offices have been really backed up. Getting in early means nothing; a good 5-6 hour wait is the norm. That's the first mistake I made, and not wanting to wait with 70 other people, my mom and I headed for home and filled out my entire passport over online- so they immediately had it in their data banks for processing. This bumped us ahead of said very long line the next time we went in, and we were processed within 10 minutes. Just saying, in case anyone was having trouble with that.

I'm sure birth certificate is a MUST, as long as two government supported IDs (try to have at least one with a photo, such as your license). You won't find a lot of specific information regarding what to bring- that info will trickle out once you are closer in the process of becoming a Permanent Residence. Of course, your passport will be your number one means of identification.

To get a passport, you'll need your birth certificate, and to obtain that, you usually need some other ID.

Have your sponsors downloaded the forms necessary to house you? Sponsors have a lot of work to do on their end- if they haven't already, I'd suggest you recommend that they start now.

The good thing about moving to Canada is that it's a hell of a lot easier than trying to move to the US, at least, if you have some form of skill to offer. Living here as a permanent resident is a good prerequisite for becoming a citizen, if you wish to do that. You must spend 2 and a half years out of 5 in Canada, to achieve full status as a Permanent Resident, by being sponsored, though, time outside of Canada spent with a Canadian counts as the same thing, yay!
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Getting an American passport takes a long time right now. They're really, really backed up with applications. So backed up that you no longer need a passport to travel to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. All you need is proof that you've applied for a passport, and two forms of visual identification, I think. You better check their website on that on, though.

I wouldn't say it's a hassle, Sailor-- but it just takes forever because the system is so back logged. If you apply for it now, you may get it in time, though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you pay an exorbitant fee they'll expedite it for you--but it's almost not worth it.
Mine expires in a few years and I'm not looking forward to renewing it...>_>

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: