Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Knowledge Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The "Mystic Queen" and Leknaat; too similar to ign

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: The "Mystic Queen" and Leknaat; too similar to ign Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Mystic Queen and Leknaat seem too similar to ignore. First off, they both give off valuable things which prove helpful later on. Also, not much is known about either, and they hide out in unassuming places.

Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leknaat is probably imaged after Jiu Tian Xian Nu (九天玄女) as you say (Mystic Queen -- which would be one of the worst translations possible).

However, Jiu Tian Xian Nu has a very limited role within the Shui Hu Zhuan. The only similarity she has is how she appeared in Song Jiang's dream and told him about some magical scrolls (which he later used against an enemy sorcerer--which didn't work!), and how Leknaat tends to appear at night when the hero is asleep.

Leknaat is closely tied into the plot of Suikoden, unlike Jiu Tian Xian Nu.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I also thought the Sage that was Gongsun Sheng's was sorta like Leknaat in some ways, because he was Gongsun Sheng's mentor like how Lady Leknaat was Luc's mentor. And he was extremely powerful. And yeah I found it funny that the heavenly scrolls didn't work against the Demon King and they ended up having to go get Gongsun Sheng.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Demon King? Never heard of him.

Luo the Sage also seems to be another one of those super-powerful dudes that don't help out much, not unlike Leknaat.

I never meant a physical resemblance, by the way.

Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't recall the persons name but I'm pretty sure his title within the fraternity of gallant men was "The Demon King who roils the earth" So I just used Demon King.

Last edited by Milan Fiori on Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, Leknaat is likely a hybrid of Jiu Tian Xian Nu and Luo Chen Jen (Gongsun Sheng's master). However, there are differences, such as how a trove of folks end up studying under Master Luo, such as the Chikai Star (Leon/Klaus/Albert Silverberg/Tanya's star) and an enemy sorcerer who is defeated by Gongsun Sheng (sort of like Sasarai).
It's always interesting to find these strange paralells.

The "Demon King" you're talking about is Kao Lian, who is the cousin of the archnemesis of the story, "Ball Kicker."
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since we're sorta on this subject, Which translation of Shui Hu Zhuan (sp?) is the most accurate?

VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes. The similarities of some characters in the Shui Hu Zhuan to the ones in the game are really uncanny. But do remeber that there could be more than one character from the novel that the character could be based from. As SARSadmin said. It could be between Jiu Tian Xian Nu and Luo Chen Jen. The parallels are very interesting when you read it. The "Mysic Queen" might be the basis (personality-wise) of Leknaat. But i can't say for sure... :roll:

Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In one of the older topics about it someone said that there really wasn't alot of events or characters that resemebled the game but now that I'm almost done with it I found that almost every other chapter had something that reminded me of Suikoden, whether it was poisoning peoples tea or wine, to stealing something to get them to talk to you and join you. The entire thing about the armored cavalry was basically the same with the exception that it's barbed spears and not fire spears.

I definately have to say that this was the first book in a long time that I really felt myself enjoying reading. The only problem I had with it was I couldn't keep up with all the names so I only ended up remembering the ones I liked or the main ones. Now I fear to even attempt to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms because I heard that it had alot more characters that it focused on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: