Suikoden United and Irenic Kosher Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Unitarian Universalism and World Religion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Unitarian Universalism and World Religion Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a thread I started in Tinto the other week that I was hoping to get a good response to-- however there wasn't as much as I had hoped, so I'm bringing it out here for discussion. It's about the group of congregations called Unitarian Universalism, the conflicts between other world religions, what you think can be done to help aid a better understanding of different cultures, and what exactly Unitarian Universalism could do to help that process. So here's the post:

Gil-galad wrote:

This group of religious congregations has been on my mind for a while. I find them quite intriguing, really. If you don't know much about Unitarian Universalism, I'll provide a short description. It's pretty much a congregation of mainly Judeo Christian followers who seek to not only celebrate their own religious heritage but attempt to unite the wisdom in all of the worlds religions and cultures to explore the wisdom that can be found in all of the world's religions to aid in finding God for each individual.

What really strikes me as interesting in this is how this religious congregation seeks to unite all the world's religions under their similarities rather than to divide them upon their differences which seems to common among the world's religions today.

I thought that would be a good jumping off point into the next topic for discussion: What do you all think about the current climate of division between the world religions. The most obvious religious conflict, in my opinion is the conflicting religious culture of the Christian and Islamic worlds. Now that they are becoming more and more economically intertwined, more and more religious conflict, and misunderstanding seems to be arising.

In my opinion, the main cause for this is just a general lack of understand between the two religions--and a lack of willingness to learn and understand the other culture. I especially see this in my own culture. I notice grave misunderstandings of Islamic culture, and no desire to even learn about what the culture really is. Which is another reason why I find Unitarian Universalism so interesting-- because their sermons deal with all of the world's religions, hopefully providing a clearer understand of how each culture seeks to find God.

Anyways-- I'm curious about all of your opinion on what may cause the struggle between the Islamic and Christian religious worlds, and also on Unitarian Universalism, and if you think that it is a good path to possibly helping to find unity in a very divided religious world?

If you're curious about Unitarian Universalism-- here's the webpage: http://www.uua.org/index.shtml

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: