Suikoden United and Infamous Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Save The Earth!!! (The debate about Climate Change and a World in Cris
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Save The Earth!!! (The debate about Climate Change and a Wor Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had an interesting conversation with my friends the other day. I'll go into it later, but for now, I'd like to know what you think of "saving the earth".

Global warming/climate change, Al Gore, Live earth, greenhouse gas emissions, so on. Is your little bit going to counteract the mass energy needs of countries like China and India, who aren't showing signs of slowing down their emissions/greening it up? there's a lot of politics, and the kyoto agreement... many many things. if you've heard of anything, have any knowledge, or beliefs, please share. if someone is "wrong" then please correct others with proof. and please come into the discussion with an open mind. I don't claim to know everything, but i am approaching this issue somewhat cynically, especially with the "stars" going on about climate change (along with their private jet flights, i think their views are misaligned - unless they do it to reduce their taxes and raise their profiles.)

so please, try to be nice to each other, acknowledge others may disagree, and listen to other people. :D
Ley

Username

441125 Potch
0 Soldiers
550446 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whatever my little bit would do to save a doomed planet is a drop in the ocean really. If every resident of the United Kingdom decided one day to replace all their light bulbs with energy saving light bulbs, recycle all their waste, turn down the washing machine to 30º and so on, it would mean less than a couple of percent of Britain's overall greenhouse gas emmisions. Take into account what could happen if the major polluting factories decided to develop cleaner processing, there's no point any "average" person doing anything.

A home truth for anyone in Britian who recycles though. Your "recycled" trash, more likely than not, gets shipped to a third world country where it is, believe it or not, dumped in a land fill.

Let's all look at what the "celebrities" are doing. Having a big sing-along and we're all invited if we have the money, helping to get the world to spot a problem we all know about. Oh my freaking GOD we've just produced modern day hippies. Kill me now. Politicians are jumping on the bandwagon as well, and why shouldn't they, it's popular. Just look at Mr.Cameron, who took down his wind turbine 3 months ago because it was in the wrong place, and conveniently forgot to reapply for housing permission. How great he is, and how I wish my children grow up to be the media whoring souless devil he is.

That's MY view on the whole thing, just don't take it too seriously.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The problem is when one gets caught up in being cynical about the whole thing. I absolutely agree with you SK, it's ridiculous that these people are delivering a message and then flying around the world in their jets, just contributing to climate change.

So, wouldn't that make one want to do something to counter that? Sure the one average person can do something. With my recycling, I cut back on 2/3rds of my garbage. Now pair that with everyone else who decides to do it. The average person produces a hell of a lot of waste in their life time- why roll over and complain about what everyone else is doing when you aren't willing to do anything yourself?

Yeah, it sucks that there is so much hypocrisy in stuff life this, but within the large movement of people simply willing to party there ARE those who believe in the message and the good fight, and therein lies hope for the future. The answer to the question of what will happen to our world will not be answered tomorrow, it is always in motion today, right now. The majority of pollution and poison in this world clouds the minds of individuals who can't seem to bother about what happens to them and the rest of us. When they start cleaning up their act, then maybe we can start cleaning up our planet.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, my belief is that human ingenuity and greed will solve these problems in the end. We're already starting to see this, thanks to increasing fuel prices and demand which is causing all sorts of problems. When fuel gets expensive, it affects commerce because al the tankers, trucks, and airplanes carrying stuff from point A to B needs fuel. Thus, everything becomes expensive. Raw material prices are shooting up everywhere-- aluminum is almost turning into a precious metal, and even boring steel sheets have more than quadrupled in price compared to only 6 years ago.

The impact of all this is that all of the creative (and greedy) people in high places are seriously thinking of ways to deal with the problem. Typically, these are the people who have real influence in any nation / culture / society, and economics is typically what drives them. Even major energy companies are investing crap loads of money on research into alternative methods of producing energy, because otherwise they will die out. That's why ethanol production is increasing like mad (which also causes an entirely separate problem), and even Germany is now thinking of adding new nuclear power plants to decrease their dependence on Russian natural gas.

Sooner or later, fossil fuel will become impractical, and economics will force a shift into alternate fuel sources. Human greed and ingenuity will lead to advances in technology that will allow us to live how we live right now.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've always had a problem with the argument that since nations like China will offset any efforts other countries do, we should kick China into gear before we commit to anything. Its the same as saying "people are going to get murdered in the world, so why should I not also murder?" I view it as a justification to do (or not do, depending on the circumstance) something you're unsure about, don't want to face, or think is wrong. If you believe the things we do are not good for the future of the earth and its inhabitants, fine. If you don't believe that than that's your perogative.

I agree with Vextor that ultimately, things like the rise in the cost of oil will lead to a cleaner enviornment. However, in my opinion, it doesn't hurt to help the cause along by starting programs that will make it beneficial for businesses and nations to "go green," so to speak. The United Nations could probably be a big help in this, but from what I've read its hard to get a whole lot passed in the United Nations. That could just be a perception caused by negative press however--I haven't really researched the topic that much.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's how I see it. Almost all of us know we have to change our ways if we wanna save the planet. But I believe we have the same chance at stopping obesity, because it's the same problem. It's much easier for us to do the "wrong" thing. What's more convenient and favored by most? A burger for $1, or opting for something actually healthy? That $1 burger. I think it's the same with global warming. People are expected to cut back on some of the things in life they enjoy. I don't think most people enjoy making sacrifices unless they can see results immediately, or know for a fact it's going to make a difference. And it's that mentality that will stop any movement to save the planet. So, if they can make the right thing more "convenient" somehow, it will work.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do want to help out in saving our planet.

But when the term "Global warming" comes up, i now reminisce on this documentary i saw on the Cutting Edge, called something like "The myth (or was it hoax?) of Man-Made Global warming". The title pretty much gives it away. It gave some points, one being that the planet is warming up by itself, and man-made global warming has a minimal impact in comparison. The second point is that the voice about man-made global warming is getting louder and louder, in sources like meteorlogical journals, and it tries to shut down any point of view contrary to it.

Nonetheless, i do want to buy my own car which consumes less fuel. Not only is it good for the environment, but i'll save more money.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

KP @ UNFCCC

The Kyoto Protocol in itself is the most useless design to combat climate change in my opinion. I mean, an attempt at a world wide census as to what each individual nation can do to cap its greenhouse emissions, only to not be anything but a guideline that people don't have to join but can ratify anyway, and which excludes some of the greatest producers of greenhouse gases because ' they don't think its necessary or want to sign it' is bullshit. Which leads me to a tangent since it was devised by the UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change) and the piece of hippy shit the UN is currently which has no bearing on this matter.

As for what I do, I'm sure Schala has seen those ads we get on behalf of the Victorian government with the balloons. Just for shits and giggles last night I taped black balloons to my neighbours trees and then screamed at how much greenhouse gas she was using. Obviosuly the ads replace the gas with balloons to make a representation that house a uses x amount of balloons (1 balloon being x amount of gas) using such and such an appliance.

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm I knew this sounded familiar. As I said in this thread: http://www.suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23306 I think that it's pretty irresponsible not to recycle and try to do the little things to save the environment every day. It doesn't require moving mountains, if all you can do is little things then do little things. Like turning lights off and recycling rather than throwing things out.

Silver Wind

29744 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really wish President Bush would pay more attention to this Global Warming issue.

If this problem persists, I'm pretty sure this planet isn't going to last as long as it should. The ice caps have been melting, which in turn raises the sea level. New York and other coastal states/countries are expected to lose a lot of land to being submerged.

I agree, it would be so nice if people could start recycling more. I'm looking forward to more economy-friendly vehicles as well. I believe my mom told me they were working on a car that runs on water, basically. As good as that sounds, that would make it awfully muggy outside, wouldn't it? But it's a good idea none-the-less.
Azuma

4917 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think that climate change is completely, or even majorly our fault. It's sort of arrogant to think that humans can have such a devastating affect on the planet as to lead to these changes in the climate, etc.

We all know about the Ice Age in the past and that, chances are this is just the build up to that happening once again. It could be an Ice Age that wipes us all out, or because of humans it could be a massive heatwave, floods, whatever. What i'm saying is, all of this was bound to happen anyway. The most we've done is probably sped the process along a little bit.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Azuma wrote:
I don't think that climate change is completely, or even majorly our fault. It's sort of arrogant to think that humans can have such a devastating affect on the planet as to lead to these changes in the climate, etc.

Why is it arrogant? We are the dominant species of the planet, the activities we get up to vary in size from tiny to huge. I think that it is more likely to be us then the pandas. :P
Azuma

4917 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, maybe we're not arrogant, i'm just ignorant. You could say I can't seem to accept that climate change is our fault. =P As for the Panda's... I dunno, they're eating an awful lot of bamboo as of late. Where we gonna get our bamboo based oxygen from if they keep eating it? And becoming 'extinct'? HA! They're hiding in secret underground OIL bases, sucking the planet dry!

Beware the pandas. ¬_¬

Back on topic. The one thing I don't understand about protecting the enviroment, is why it's so easy, yet no one does it. The major changes would happen if EVERYONE did the little things. Turning off lights, recycling, etc. I'm no exception, i'm pretty bad for leaving my bedroom light on all day. Although what I can't stand is walking into someone's house on a perfectly nice day... yet they feel the need to have their blinds down and the house lights on, or even worse just have them sitting on anyway instead of using the eco-friendly method called "sunlight".

My mum has about four different bins sitting outside for recycling cans, paper, normal rubbish and plastic. All the lights are off. Safe to say, I think we're doing alright for the enviroment. *said while every electrical appliance in the house is being used*

¬_¬
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Azuma wrote:
Haha, maybe we're not arrogant, i'm just ignorant. You could say I can't seem to accept that climate change is our fault. =P As for the Panda's... I dunno, they're eating an awful lot of bamboo as of late. Where we gonna get our bamboo based oxygen from if they keep eating it? And becoming 'extinct'? HA! They're hiding in secret underground OIL bases, sucking the planet dry!

Beware the pandas. ¬_¬

Back on topic. The one thing I don't understand about protecting the enviroment, is why it's so easy, yet no one does it. The major changes would happen if EVERYONE did the little things. Turning off lights, recycling, etc. I'm no exception, i'm pretty bad for leaving my bedroom light on all day. Although what I can't stand is walking into someone's house on a perfectly nice day... yet they feel the need to have their blinds down and the house lights on, or even worse just have them sitting on anyway instead of using the eco-friendly method called "sunlight".

My mum has about four different bins sitting outside for recycling cans, paper, normal rubbish and plastic. All the lights are off. Safe to say, I think we're doing alright for the enviroment. *said while every electrical appliance in the house is being used*

¬_¬

Because it's not as easy as you think. Consider how much wood is used day to day lives and that trees are the chief source of exchanging carbon dioxide for oxygen. Consider it takes a single tree years to reach maturity (in some cases way more than our singular lifespans) to grow to be capable of processing enough of the gases to actually make a dint into what we as humans create (be it through general use or 'extra activities (of which I'm classing home owned cars since it is viable that if automobiles could not be purchased, public transport might have more infrastructure and technology blah blah blah general commuting nonsense)') by way of emissions.

For every household on the planet there would be a need for a small forest each to actually cancel out the emissions we make currently, a small forest which will take years to grow, and is prone to weather patterns (ie Melbourne recently had to curtail the public water use due to the continuing drought and as such several 100+ year old trees were chopped because they died) it's a volatile solution at best as weather is ever changing. As for if it is actually man's doing or not, that is for the most part irrelevant since it is happening. There is little point in say hypothetically, this speeds up the rate of Bangladesh or Venice sinking and them simply blaming mankind or nature for it, instead of looking at ways to reverse the changes or at least combat them so that they are not as severe.

Speaking from an Aussie standpoint, I so don't see the point in Nuclear power as a viable greener alternative to fossil fuels since it's simply a damn trade off. 'Less emissions yay! Increased radioactive waste booo!' and I have also heard some nasty stuff about the waste that current Wind powered turbines can create, nasty as in 'wtf are we gonna do with this but store it somewhere' like what would happen with the nuclear waste. Personally, at least for Aus I don't see why a continent hasn't at least considered a hydro solution as far as cutting gas emissions goes. If sea levels are indeed rising, logic would dictate that if it 'threatens' communities, water would need to be disposed of on a grand scale to cease its rise. What better use could that water have than to be used for the needs of households in forms of generating electricity at a much cleaner alternative. I say this as an Aussie, since really if you look at the distribution of the population of Aus it's all around the coast lines and wanes as you go further in, so in my view hydro electric is at least viable in that sense.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Speaking from an Aussie standpoint, I so don't see the point in Nuclear power as a viable greener alternative to fossil fuels since it's simply a damn trade off. 'Less emissions yay! Increased radioactive waste booo!' and I have also heard some nasty stuff about the waste that current Wind powered turbines can create, nasty as in 'wtf are we gonna do with this but store it somewhere' like what would happen with the nuclear waste. Personally, at least for Aus I don't see why a continent hasn't at least considered a hydro solution as far as cutting gas emissions goes. If sea levels are indeed rising, logic would dictate that if it 'threatens' communities, water would need to be disposed of on a grand scale to cease its rise. What better use could that water have than to be used for the needs of households in forms of generating electricity at a much cleaner alternative. I say this as an Aussie, since really if you look at the distribution of the population of Aus it's all around the coast lines and wanes as you go further in, so in my view hydro electric is at least viable in that sense.

From what i know about hydro electric power, It's not used for the sea. It is used at rivers and lakes, which are fresh water, since it has to create a dam, let water flow in, and push a turbine which in turn generates electricity. I haven't heard of hydroelectric dams for the oceans or such.

....Looking further into it, there is another method which does use the tides to provide electricity. What's more, The Bass Strait and the Torres Strait are potential sites for these turbines. It has an 80% efficiency and generates power within the Gigawatts. So that, actually, sounds to me like an effective way to power up Australia without nuclear plants. I'm living in Australia too (A Permanent Resident, actually), and i wouldn't want to live next to a nuclear power plant. Hopefully, the government would take Tidal power further into consideration.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: