Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Soul Calibur (1 and 2)Thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Soul Calibur (1 and 2)Thoughts Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey all,

Just investigatin what the suikox board thought of Soul Calibur as a fighting game and as with its storyline.

I thought that the story line was slightly underdeveloped and the campaign mode could have had more depth. But lets not forget what this game is really all about:

BEATING THE CRAP OUT OF EACH OTHER!
As a fighting game Soul Calibur distinguishes itself with its extensive use of weapons. It is truly a joy to play and has good graphics. Maybe they could be better but that didn't take anything away from the games.
My only negative reflection was the loss of Seigfried in the transition from 1 to 2. No spoiler, you don't get Seigfried, you get Nightmare. Still its a fun game. Your thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never had the Sega Dreamcast, but I did have Soul Calibur II for the Nintendo Gamecube...before it got stolen.

The storyline with spoilers is posted in black below.

Fragments of the Sword have been sent to different warriors, and they must go out and hunt for the elusive Soul Calibur.

I really liked the Weapons quest, I got every unlockable in the game, from that slippery ice stage to the hidden characters to Purple Link and so much more. I really enjoyed the Weapons Quest, mostly because it made the game feel like an RPG. It took me about 15 hours to complete, from whatever ranking you start off as to Platinum Edgemaster of the Basilisk.

My favorite character of course was Link. Link kicks azz, you can't deny. He has some cool moves, like Knocking someone flying into the air with an underhand swipe and quickly pulling out his bow and sniping them with an awwow to Getting on someone's shoulders and slapping them with his sword before throwing them, convenient if you're close enough to a ledge.

I highly recommend this game, anlthough the GameCube version is the best, because of Link (who is ten times better than Heihachi Mishma and Spawn for the game that requires speed over stregnth) and the GameCube controller. It's just the best, so comfortable. Bonus especially if you have a WaveBird.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My buddy was obsessed with SCI on Dreamcast. He thoroughly enjoyed whooping us, but then we got better than he was and he didn't play us as much. I have SCII for PS2 and a buddy of mine down the hall has it for XBOX. I must say I've heard Link is the best "unique" character, but I've heard the exact opposite for the Gamecube controller. But seeing as I haven't played that one, I can't say for certain in opinion.

I like the game, but the questing part of the game was poor in my opinion. Sure you unlocked a lot of stuff (and I did it all) but it was very repetitve and boring after a while. I don't recall much of a story unless you stopped to read the stuff, but even then it wasn't that engaging.

Out of the versions I've played (PS2 and XBOX) I must say that either one is good, and both unique characters aren't that good. I'd say I like Heihachi more just because I like Tekken more than anything Spawn-related. My favorite overall character is Yoshimitsu, but the one I'm best with is one of the sword-and-shield women (I don't recall which one at the moment, but they're similar anyway). I'd bust it out to play a few vs rounds every know and then, but it's not something I'd spend a lot of time on.

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I only played Soul Caliber 2. I loved the game but the only complaint is that I only KOed people when I was playing against friends or the final boss. Everyone else I threw off the ledge. I really did enjoy the story though. It was also one of the smoothest fighting games I had ever played. Easy to understand the controls also.

I would probably give it 9/10 since it is probably one of the better fighting games I have played.
Ayreon

Universal Migrators

7311 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I still play SC1 on my little and white DC.I love this game and when the second part came out i bought it along with my PS2.When i started playing SC2 i realised that it was the same game,but with beter graphics,and new characters.I must say i was dissapointed with Sc2,specially because it was the same game but for a different console.Sad........ :|

''Sail away to Avalon.......''
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I own them both. I have the Gamecube version of Soul Calibur 2. Though, my Dreamcast died so I can't enjoy the first one anymore. Nothing like playing either of them in a room full of people. They all just seem to gravitate to the game.

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, i have played Soul Blade, the first game that preceded Soul Calibur, and Soul Calibur 2. Sadly, i haven't played Soul Calibur 1...

But i liked Soul Calibur 2 very much. It even bested Tekken 4. I played the PS2 version, so i didn't get a Link, or a Spawn. I just got some damn Lizard man! What were they on when they were developing the characters? But the Weapons Quest was heaps fun!

My favorite characters are Xianghua, Sigfried and Cassandra. Xianghua just has the grace and speed. Her swings just manage to find places that aren't blocked. I like Sigfried because i like two handed swords. And i like Cassandra because she is so irritating to fight against! Mitsurugi has got style, but i am not that used to his stances...

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KouriRyu

Infinity

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

People call Astaroth slow. Then they play me. I've developed a strategy with Astaroth that allows me to move as fluidly as Voldo. That and I love spinning around and tossing them in the air.

I have never liked a fighting game until SC. I can't explain it, it just feels right. The controls are great, the fact that there weren't any fireballs or fatalities were a plus. PS2 controls are my favorite.

I like Link, but he didn't feel right in SC2. Same with Spawn, I like him, but he was just so out of place. And as far as Heihachi goes... He was an easy way out for the PS2 version since SC2 and Tekken = both by Namco. Link was an easy choice for the Nintendo version for obvious reasons. Spawn was Microsoft throwing money around as usual. And Heihachi was Namco giving up because they couldn't find a suitable person in the PS2 universe. :roll:
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have played Soul Calibur one a few times at the arcade when I really couldnt find any other games more worth my time and I even beat it a few times as well. Seeing as though I havent seen Soul Calibur two at the arcade probably because the game only came out for the console I have not played it yet but I might sooner or later. Now that it's a greatest hits game for the Playstation two it's cheaper and maybe it might just be worth my while to try out something new and different from my usual batch of games that I pick up. Im not much for fighting games however so more than likely it will be one of those games that I occasionally pop into the Playstation two and play for maybe fifteen to twenty minutes at a time. Then again thats just the way that I see things but generally I tend to stick to rpgs and the occasional action game like Onimusha or Devil May Cry.

Astramaniacs

158943 Potch
225 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SCI was a really fun fighting game, my friend and I used to hang out and play it a lot....and laugh at Voldo and his 'semi humping the air' knee walk. Ahh, good times.

But SCII...I don't know. It's still a fun game, and a really good fighting game. It just seems a little contrived, the storyline doesn't seem to be as good as the first one, and it seemed like they seriously weakened Cervantes...which annoyed me because I was awesome with him in the first game. And I _really_ didn't like the mission part, where you were some sort of wandering warrior running around fighting people. It got boring really fast.

Taki is da' bomb, she's my favorite character. She's never let me down either, except I think they made her breasts quite a lot bigger...which irratates me when I'm supposed to be using a super-fighty ninja chick, and she's jiggling around. :x

Anywho, that was just my two cents :P
KouriRyu

Infinity

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I quote MegaTokyo on the topic of big breasts: "There's no way any girl would fight hanging out like this. Realistically, Kasumi would bind herself." And I completely agree. Ninja = stealth. Breasts = (and honest to god, I mean no offense) counterweights. Conterweights in Ninjitsu = VERY BAD 1. If you had breasts that big, Ninjitsu probably wouldn't be the first occupation on your list. 2. You'd bind those things until you look like a freakin' guy. Kasumi from DoA doesn't, nor does Taki. I can't stand them doing this, because while it's sexy, it's very, very stupid.

I didn't really like any of the girls in SC except Ivy, but only because she was so unpredictable like Voldo and Astaroth. All of the other characters (besides Maxi) were all to normal, average, and painfully predictable.
Kakeru

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I played Soul Blade, Soul Calibur and Soul Calibur 2. In Soul Blade Edge Master Mode was great... I kept playing this game for a LONG time because if it. Soul Calibur had something like that but weapons that you could only differ in looks. The biggest plus of this game was Enbu Mode. Man when I saw Kilik for the first time I just could't find my jaw for a while. It was beautiful. In Soul Calibur 2 they gave you back something like Edge Master Mode plus they left Embu. Weapons didn't differ only in looks so it was just great.
Game system is great, everyone can play this game and enjoy it... even noobs.
Both Soul Calibur and Soul Calibur 2 lack of good intro.
I always liked Taki... but her boobs in Soul Calibut are just annoying. I think she must be very strong woman to carry those all over the place.
Yes I am a girls freek when it comes to games so I play with every girl in the game besides Ivy and Sophitia.
Sueng Mina grew up really well since Soul Blade^^
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Soul Calibur III out by Winter of 2005

This little piece was just added to IGN today, and for any fans of the series I highly recommend you check it out. There are at least three new characters that are going to be added to 20 who return. I think that this is kind of weak. The Soul Calibur/Edge is supposed to be enduring and eternal. There should be different characters in each game, all trying to get the Calibur at a different time period.

Something about the game that might upset some gamers is that the new SC is planned to be a PS2 Exclusive. This doesn't really bother me, since I own a PS2, but I had SCII for the GameCube, and really, Link made that game. I'm actually hoping for the New Zelda game that they take some of the moves they gave him (like that move where he does a front flip and slashes down, pure badass). I'll definently be getting this one when it comes out later this year.

EDIT: Correct you are Starslasher. All three versions of the game for each system got bonus characters. XBOX got Spawn, who badass as he is has no business being in a game like this. He's just too slow and gets slapped around by the smaller characters. The PS2 Version got Heihachi Mishma from the Tekken Series (OT: Just how nutty does Tekken 5 look?). I never played the PS2 version, but I hear that like in Tekken he can do insane combos, which are a huge advantage considering no one else can do them. The GCN version got Link, who of the three is best suited to the game because of his speed and agility. Brute strength gets you nowhere in SC, look at how bad Astaroth is. The quick characters will win it for you.

And yes, Voldo sux, at least until you learn to use him. No one can counter his fighting style, and he's unstoppable. I just don't use him because he looks stupid, and I like a challenge.

Last edited by Vincent Chase on Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Link was a bonus character, Hot Ice, isn't he? I doubt that he would be in SCIII.

But i did take a very small gander at it. I saw their 3 new characters. I don't care too much for the chakra-wielding chick, but the ronin babe Setstuke and Zalasel, the black scythe wielder, look interesting. they all look like replacements to me. The chakra girl (forgot the name...started with a "T" i believe) looks like she will replace Voldo (hopefuly she will. I can't stand looking at the freak), Setstuke for Seung Mina and Zalasel for Astaroth.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heihachi could do some insane combos. However, I couldn't completely pull even one off. I had it written out and had to look at the pattern not the tv, but my roommate at the time said I got about halfway through the combo at my best and did some extensive damage. Pretty much, if you can pull off 1 of his combos, they're dead, but they're not easy. Regarding SCIII, I think I'll definitely like Zasalamel, but Tira and Setsuka...I'm not sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: