Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Kriegspiel Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Depression in the U.S.A.'s cities

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Depression in the U.S.A.'s cities Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am down on vacation in Florida and i was reading in the newspaper that St. Petersburg Florida was one of the top 5 most depressed cities in the world.

The top 4 were: Philadelphia, St. Louis, St. Petersburg, and Detroit.

The top 4 non depression cities are: Laredo Texas, El Paso Texas, Corpus Christi Texas, and Jersey City New Jersey.

It said in the article that Texas as state funded programs that aware mental health.

And Suicide is more common than Homicide in florida.

Any thoughts on this?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm going to live in Corpus with my boyfriend next year. At least it wont be miserable, then! :lol:
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's pretty funny. I got a review that my city, Tacoma Washington, was the most stressful city in the US. It is really odd. I'm not stressed out at all. I wouldn't trust those newspaper evaluations too much. They take some data and make a prediction. It really depends on how you look at things. Some poeple would say my city is stressfull and others would say it is a very nice place.
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suicides are generally more common that Murders, except of course in the inner cities.

There is alot of things in the States (and Canada) that you don't see in other parts of the world. More Obesidy, more Heart Disease, more Cancer, more Sexually Transmitted Diseases, more Depression and so on and so forth.

I think it's because of how affluent Western Society is that causes all of this depression. Think about it for a second. Look at advertising, and famous people. We're pretty much made to believe that if you don't look a certain way, have a certain education or have a certain thing that you are inferior, and I think these feelings of inferiority cause Depression. It would explain why people in lesser Developed countries have lower rates of suicide, depression and domestic abuse.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Very good points. People do judge others very often and that is a very sadening thing.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Hot Ice wrote:
Suicides are generally more common that Murders, except of course in the inner cities.

There is alot of things in the States (and Canada) that you don't see in other parts of the world. More Obesidy, more Heart Disease, more Cancer, more Sexually Transmitted Diseases, more Depression and so on and so forth.

I think it's because of how affluent Western Society is that causes all of this depression. Think about it for a second. Look at advertising, and famous people. We're pretty much made to believe that if you don't look a certain way, have a certain education or have a certain thing that you are inferior, and I think these feelings of inferiority cause Depression. It would explain why people in lesser Developed countries have lower rates of suicide, depression and domestic abuse.

I don't doubt about obesity and heart disease (one leads to another) simply because rich cultures can afford more food, and can afford to sacrifice nutritional content for taste. Nothing truly incriminating about western society, other than the fact that we're "too rich".

Cancer? I highly doubt that Western countries have a higher occurrance of it, and I doubt it is reported as much in poorer civilizations since they can't detect it.

STDs? Dude, AIDS is ravaging Africa, don't claim that the West is leading in that department.

Suicide, depression, and abuse: perhaps, but it should be noted that when it is a daily struggle to survive in a civilization, people tend to value human life more.

All in all, I think Western culture is getting too much of a bad rap, perhaps a backlash of its domination of the world...who knows. Any culture declines in certain areas when it's at its zenith.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, the city I live in Wisconsin has 3 highschools. One of them is a catholic private highschool. I do not personally go there, however I have many friends that do, and it seems litterly all of them are alcholics and have tried to commit suicide along with battle some sort of depression. Along with most of the kids that go to the school do not even believe in God in the first place. I guess they just seem really hopeless... I don't know do you think it's because of the type of school? Because the school I go to thats a public high school, sure about 1/20 kids in my school seem or look depressed, but that seems like nothing. Maybe Eau Claire is a dreary Wisconsin city, or the weather? Alot of people have said it's linked to seeing the sun. Sometimes we hardly see the sun durring the winter. Could that be a Factor?

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Cancer? I highly doubt that Western countries have a higher occurrance of it, and I doubt it is reported as much in poorer civilizations since they can't detect it.

STDs? Dude, AIDS is ravaging Africa, don't claim that the West is leading in that department.

1) Much higher rates of cancer in the western world. Just because they can't reoprt it doesn't mean that studies haven't been done. Go to the second paragraph. One in four in the developed world will die of Cancer, more than twice as many as in the developing world, who Do have higher rates of Skin Cancer, because most developing countries are in the Southern Hemisphere where the sun is more intense and less cover is worn (and of course, not as much sunblock). The Western World has higher rates of Cancer.

2) Had I have said 'Higher Rate of HIV/AIDS', then the statement would be inaccurate. But I said 'Higher rate of STDs'. Don't forget that not all of the countries in Africa are suffering through the AIDS Epedemic, as it's confined largely to the Sub-Saharan regions. Look at countiies like Namibia, Botswana, there's an epedemic. It ranges from nonexistant to slightly elevated in well over half of the countries of Africa. Looking at the total picture, that is, about 28 million estimated cases out of a population of 890 million people (2004), that's an HIV rate of about 3% the total population. In the USA it's only 1%, but all other STDs, Herpes, Syphilis, Chlamydia et al. are far more frequent here. Just because an STD isn't life-threatening doesn't mean it isn't an STD. While Africa has by far the highest rate of AIDS in the world, the Western World has higher rates of 'minor' Sexually Transmitted Diseases.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I don't know do you think it's because of the type of school? Because the school I go to thats a public high school, sure about 1/20 kids in my school seem or look depressed, but that seems like nothing

That's because a lot of average teenagers are uber angsty and look for some upset in their life to be an excuse to act like they dislike living, in general. Depressed, no, puberty, yes!

Quote:
One in four in the developed world will die of Cancer

One in four? Sounds a bit false. I don't think the cancer epidemic is that huge yet.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
It would explain why people in lesser Developed countries have lower rates of suicide, depression and domestic abuse

I have to disagree with the domestic abuse part of that. My mohter has spent the past three years in Guatemala doing nursing adn thne most common thing she treats daily is spousal abuse and she gets an incest case about once every two weeks. My Brother, did a similatr thing in Uganda and had very similar results. None of this is reported though. I believe there is probably a higher rate of domestic abuse, but since the woman of those countries do not have as many priviledges as they do in developed countries it is expected. Unless I see some numbers, I will have to disagree.
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, domestic abuse is very high in less developed countries, where women have little to no support and resources to leave or stop thier husbands, who virtually own them.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lunarblade wrote:
I don't doubt about obesity and heart disease (one leads to another) simply because rich cultures can afford more food, and can afford to sacrifice nutritional content for taste. Nothing truly incriminating about western society, other than the fact that we're "too rich".

Oh, I don't think it's purely throwing away nutrition for taste. I think the fact that in a lot of richer (and mostly western) countries, especially the US, you need a vehicle to go anywhere. Very few people live in an area where you can walk to every place you need to go anymore, and unless you live in a big city, public transportation isn't necessarily garenteed to be there. The lack of walking and activity is really going to start adding up the pounds if you do it for a long time.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: