Suikoden Unique and Illegal Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Overclocked Remix (Video Game Soundtrack remixes)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Decado

Desert Elite

Potch
Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Overclocked Remix (Video Game Soundtrack remixes) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.ocremix.org/

This is a great site I stumbled across today for listening to and downloading remixed video game soundtracks. Have a listen - some of them are really very good. Most downloads that I have seen are also free so enjoy.

Divine Judgement

Potch
Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been a part of OC Remix for a long time, since about 7-8 years ago? There are a lot of great remixers there. They have some absolutely awesome remixes, if you can look for a certain remixer called "Destiny", do check out her work.

The two remixes she did, "Aprohdite Oceanus" and "This Heart" (both remixes of Seiken Densetsu songs) is absolutely awesome.

Legions of Zontar-Killers

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I visit that site on occasion, and it is true that there are some great remixers on the site. OCRemix only accepts the best remix tracks, so most of their library is really professional sounding. My favorite remixer is probably Dale North.

I used to visit a site called VGmix.com pretty regularly, but that site was taken down because of security issues. (they've since decided to rebuild it, and from what I hear are close to finished). I thought VGmix had a better design and was easier to navigate, but both sites have pretty much the same songs.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

Potch
Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found a couple really decent Suikoden ones there a few months ago--there's a fun Warrior Village one and a really cool "Reminiscience" from SuikoII...

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Shad

Midnight

Potch
Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a rabid fan of videogame music, but OCRemix never really did it for me. Mind you it's been a couple years since I've visited the place, I don't remember hearing anything that I deemed superior to the original. It's really difficult to successfully remix a videogame song, as from the Super Nintendo on the artists really had all the means to make their own works precisely as they desired within the confines of a keyboard. An electronic readdressal can't really surpass the original, or if it does then whoever made it really ought to be writing their own music instead.

Mind you I'm all for new versions of videogame music, I think it ought to be recorded under different criteria. All the remixes I'd heard were people sitting down at a midi keyboard thinking they could somehow improve on the genius of Mitsuda, Uematsu, and the like using the same technology. What I would really like to hear is videogame songs performed in a band setting, with actual instruments Black Mages style. If any of you are familiar with the Guido album "The Brink of Time", it is a jazz rendition of various tracks from the Chrono Trigger soundtrack, and it is absolutely amazing. If OCR offers material like this these days, I'm interested, but I somehow doubt they do.

I for one play a pretty decent cover of Time's Scar on guitar, and like to boast that I can play Kefka's theme single handed. I would love to be in a band that covers videogame music. The Black Mages was a creative concept, but they're way too prog and synth to be all that enjoyable. I'd like to incorporate songs like Dancing Mad, Clash on the Big Bridge, Battle with the Four Fiends, Battle with Magus, World Revolution/Last Battle, Pokey's boss music (Keiichi Suzuki, Earthbound), Fillmore (Yuzo Koshiro, Actraiser), Icefield of Laynole (Yukihide Takekawa, Soul Blazer), Battle 2 (Ryuji Sasai, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest), Steel and Snare (Hiroki Kikuta, Secret of Mana), Premonition (Hiroki Kikuta, Secret of Mana), and Final Battle (Yasunori Shiono, Lufia II) in a down to earth gritty rock environment. Actually, it's been a goal of mine for a long time now, but I don't know where to even begin.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Mind you I'm all for new versions of videogame music, I think it ought to be recorded under different criteria. All the remixes I'd heard were people sitting down at a midi keyboard thinking they could somehow improve on the genius of Mitsuda, Uematsu, and the like using the same technology.

There is a small contingent on OCRemix that actually uses really instruments--unfortunately, finding them proves difficult as there is no way to seperate them out of the list of all artists. I agree with you that more often than not, remixed songs with real music sounds better. A few of the artists that come to mind who use real instruments are Disturbed, who records most of his music on a piano, and Ailsean, who records solely on varius guitars. If you're looking for video game music played by someone who really knows his or her instrument, I'd look those two up (especially Ailsean, whose mastery of the guitar is amazing). I think Dale North does a few songs live, and a remixer named Russel Cox (I believe that's his name--he did Metal Gear May Cry, which combined the theme from Metal Gear Solid 2 with a theme he made up for Devil May Cry) studied musical theory and does orchestral remixes of songs. Disturbed, who I mentioned above, actually has done some one-take songs I believe, giving them a truly live feeling.

A remix is a different interpretation of the music--it isn't supposed to be better or worse than the original. I look at it as experiencing those video game songs that I love all over again. The good remixers aren't trying to improve the song at all--most of them feel that they are honoring the song by bringing their own interpretation of it to life.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

Potch
Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I havent visited this site in ages lol. I used to go here all the time when I was in highschool. Has some great stuff on their and i am quite impressed by a lot of it and even tried to do some myself but never anything of that quality.

now i think im going to be addicted to it again >_>

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Advertisements & Fun Links All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: