Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is Hanzo based off of anyone from actual history?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Is Hanzo based off of anyone from actual history? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Might Hanzo be based upon anyone from history?

Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Providence Luc

The Millenium Swords

109035 Potch
275 Soldiers
71 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, from my knowledge, Hattori Hanzo (I prefer to use the Japanese style of mentioning names, surname first) was a legendary ninja of sorts. Not much is actually mentioned about him in encyclopedias since he was ninja. But here's a short excerpt from The Quest Center which should give you a rough sketch of what he was like. Click the link for the full article.

Hanzo was a member of the Hattori family, the leaders of the ninja community of Iga Province in feudal Japan. It is thought that there may have been as many as four ninja who took the name Hanzo Hattori. The ninja who made famous the identity of Hanzo Hattori was named Masanari. He was said to have begun training on Mt. Kurama north of Kyoto at the age of eight, and became a full-fledged ninja at age twelve, and was known as a master ninja at age eighteen. His father Yasunaga served Matsudaira Kiyoyasu, the lord of Mikawa and the grandfather of future shogun leyasu Tokugawa. Though Hanzo was born and raised in Mikawa, he often returned to Iga, home of the Hattori ninja family.

And so you see... the name Hattori Hanzo has been used and abused for many ages just as many things become popular.
Jowy Atreides

486378 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am not seeking a history lesson.

Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, Hanzo is based on Hattori Hanzo. "Hattori Hanzo" itself is a name that has been passed on through a number of differen "Iga" ninjas, so it doesn't point to one single person. However, the most famous of them is the second Hattori Hanzo, whos real name was Iwami-no-Mori Masanari. The "no-Mori" means 'governor" and thus this means he was born as a samurai (and Iwami being a teritorry belonging to the Tokugawa clan, he automatically served Yokugawa Ieyasu).

What's great about him is that he really wasn't a ninja. The first Hattori Hanzo didn't teach him much ninjutsu, and instead taught him soujutsu (spear techniques), which he thought would be more useful for his son in the comming age. Fortunately, this becomes true, because as the personal bodyguard of Tokugawa Ieyasu, Hattori has saved his lords life many times because of his spear. He also led his ninja clan in battles (they acted more as foot-soldiers, wearing armor, etc).

Some of the other ninjas in Suikoden are based on historically well known ninjas, such as Fuma, who is based on Fuma Kotaro, a name passed on among leaders of the Hojo ninja clan, and Sarutobi Sasuke, a famous ninja who served Sanada Yukimura.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wow, thats intersting. Is this Info in the SARs, info center? If not it should be. I mean, it makes things intersting to parts of the game have basis from history.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never really thought of that, but now that you mention it....were any of the female ninjas (Mizuki, Kate, Kasumi, Ayame) based off of the female ninjas that Yukimura was said to have? I could be the only one that thinks this, but Kunoichi's alternate outfit from Samurai Warriors reminds me of Kate in a strange way (except Kate has more clothing on).

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Female ninjas were rare, but were often utilized in the Takeda ninja clan and the Kouga clan. Yukimura's stories are always half mythical so it's hard to say how much of it is true. Sarutobi Sasuke is a fictional character, for example.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

a famous ninja who served Sanada Yukimura

Oh? I think I just heard my favorite Ninja in the Tokugawa era! He's not as famous as Hanzo, mostly because poor Yukimura dies in the "Battle of Tennôji" during the Osaka Summer Campaign. I beleive he's in Samurai Warriors also, and you'll see him in Samurai Deeper Kyo and Kessen 1. Other than that I've been fasinated with his bravory and some of his amazing victorys in battle. Along with Sanada Ju-Yushi, Kirigakure Saizo ,Miyoshi Isa , Kakei Juzo , Miyoshi Sekai , Anayama Kosuke , Sarutobi Sasuke , Unno Rokuro , Nezu Jinpachi , Mochizuki Rokuro , and Yuri Kamanosuke. All supposedly brave and skilled ninja's of their time. I guess noone can take any real account, but it's said that he was 1 step away from Tokugawa before being struck down. They really should of based one of the Ninja's after him >_>

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, the Sanada family has always been rather powerful, but Yukimura went beyond that. He had his own ninja clan helping him out, and he was a great strategist as well.
Most of the 10 braves of Sanada are fictional characters though, including Sarutobi Sasuke. It is assumed that a famous Koga ninjya who went by the name of Shimotsuge no Kozaru (Zaru is the same "monkey" kanji as "saru")was actually Sarutobi Sasuke, because his real name was Kamizuki Sasuke.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I could agree with that. And mostly for the fact that in that time peroid, for the fact that they were ninja's, their name wasn't really needed, or it definantly wouldn't help them or their familys if it was known. What I love most about him was his stated somewhere "unorthadox" stratagies for that time peroid. I'm not sure what that means, but it must be tricks ect, that helped him first when agaisnt Tokugawa, and then again against Date Masamune(another love of mine, let alone his helm is one of the most reknown).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: